PDA

View Full Version : Self sponsored security?

Guy Bowen
14th Nov 2001, 20:14
Having left a UAS due to an eyesight problem which is cleared for class 1, and then being frozen by BA in troubled times, I have chosen to get on with life and take the self sponsored route? I realise that before the industry collapsed this was a very grey uncertain route to achieving an airline career. But in the light of the current climate should I be thinking again?null

GonvilleBromhead
15th Nov 2001, 13:11
Guy,

I'd have to disagree with your point that the modular route was ever a grey and uncertain route to an airline career. Yes perhaps it is a longer route to take and that certain airlines preferred the Integrated graduates, but nonetheless, I know several pilots now employed by airlines who came via self-improver/modular routes.

As to the way forward now, I think it would be prudent to look at the modular route as being more favourable in the current climate, the flexibility in timing and payments for a start, must be a big plus in it's favour. Of course, it's your decision as to when you start the modular route and hence try to time your training completion to best guesstimate the eventual upturn (crystal ball time) !

But please folks, this reply is not meant to be the start of modular versus integrated bunfight, just my personal opinion on current options.

For the record, yes I'm modular, and I would have considered integrated if personal circumstances and finance would have allowed, but in this climate, I'm not so sure.

good luck.

GB.

:)

foghorn
15th Nov 2001, 15:08
I understand that modular training is being seen by airlines as being more on a par with Integrated training in these JAR days. This is because there are no shortcuts in JAR modular like the old UK BCPL - 700hrs TT - non-approved hours-as-required IR - route to a licence much loved by self-improvers in days gone by.

Means you have to pay more for all that mandatory sim and twin time in JAR modular IR, though.

foggy.

scroggs
15th Nov 2001, 22:08
Going modular has a number of advantages in these uncertain times. The most important is that you are not required to commit vast sums of money upfront to organisations that might not survive - and could take your money with them if they collapse!
The second advantage is that you can time your final graduation more closely to the recovery, when it comes. While things are so uncertain, it's wise to take things slowly.
Make sure that, whoever you choose to do your courses with, you arrange payment monthly through a credit card. This will ensure that you are not exposed to too much risk, and that the credit card company will share the risk with you - and you get the interest from that large pile of cash in your bank! As long as you pay your credit card bills in full....!

Wee Weasley Welshman
15th Nov 2001, 22:29
Have to back Scroggs on this 100%.

If you are in a BA hold pool for the TEP then I would sit tight and wait a few years for them to give you the green light again.

Much depends on your circumstances - for some £50k is not as daunting as it is to others...

Good luck,

ps My vote would go with Bristol for your Groundschool and PAT in Bournemouth or Multiflight in Leeds for your flying!

Guy Bowen
16th Nov 2001, 13:22
Thamks for the advice. I am now tired of sitting around doing temp. jobs and just want to get on with my career. I have managed to secure some funds and despite having just under 100 hours I have been advised to do the intergrated course as it will serve to boost my overall flying hours and help to revise the basics as I have not flown since leaving the UAS late last year. Cabair is looking a strong option at the moment and they have told me that I can pay in installments with a credit card. Does anyone have any views on the intergrated course there, I would b grateful for some opinions.