PDA

View Full Version : Prospects After Bush Flying

Power Plant
1st Feb 2014, 16:27
Hi all! (Sorry if this is not the right section for this).

I have a question about job prospects after bush flying. It's something I've always wanted to do and I currently have an opportunity to fly for a small charter company. Even if it wasn't something I really wanted to do, I'm not exactly in a position to turn down flying jobs!

I now keep hearing that bush flying is 'difficult to get out of' and keep getting people ask 'but what are you going to do after?' and I'm slightly confused. Surely more flying experience is a good thing? I just wondered what people meant by this? Also, does this type of flying give you better chances of being considered for a job with scheduled/larger airlines in a way that's any different to having additional experience in other areas of aviation?

I'd love to hear from anyone that has an insight on the issue or an experience of leaving bush flying for other aviation jobs etc.

Thanks,

L x

south coast
1st Feb 2014, 18:05
Normally what is implied is that a lot of bad habits, single pilot CRM, and 'bush' practices can be picked up while flying in that world which can sometimes be frowned upon when one tries to join a more procedural type flying operation.

It's not impossible, just use the time and experience to make you a better pilot, not a worse one and you will be fine.

FrankR
1st Feb 2014, 20:00
Hi Powerplant.

All flying is good flying! I wouldn't turn the job down unless you were forced to fly aircraft that are unairworthy, are pressured to fly outside of your comfort zone, or people shoot at you or try to kidnap you while you are on or off duty.

With any job, learn all you can, be as professional as you can, be as friendly as you can, make friends, update your resume, and be ready to move on when the next step appears.

The bad press that bush flying gets is due to the tendency some pilots have to blatantly disregard rules when they think no one is watching, and act like the "rugged individual" who doesn't want to fit in. (This is a stereotype that is not often warranted) Be ready to adapt to the new environment when you get a job as an FO on a regional...

FR

Sop_Monkey
1st Feb 2014, 20:59
As mentioned already all flying is good experience.

Just maintain your standards, keep your nose clean etc., and remember, the rules are your guardian angel.

As said stay within your comfort zone. You are the most important person on board. Resist commercial pressure at all costs.

However a lot, not all airlines want trained robots, who will blindly follow S.O.P's and not think outside the box.

I say grab the job with both arms, you'll enjoy it and you'll learn a lot. Stuff that can't be learn't in a classroom, ever. It will be air experience and as far as I am concerned, very valuable.

Power Plant
2nd Feb 2014, 00:35
Thanks everyone!

I didn't understand why it would be 'hard to get out of' but what you've said makes sense.

Thanks for the advice Sop_Monkey.

It shouldn't be too extreme FR, definitely not expecting a kidnapping or anything :}

currawong
2nd Feb 2014, 01:03
Grab it with both hands and run like the wind.

I would venture to suggest that the time you get in a twin otter/ Dc3/ C-185 or whatever would pi$$ all over what your peers get that are reluctant to leave the big cities.

It could also be argued that ones prospects after bashing around the circuit for several years in a C-152 are pretty limited.

Good luck

Flying Mechanic
2nd Feb 2014, 01:37
Take the job, it's the best flying you will ever do. It's a good foundation for your career, u will gain experiences /exposure other pilots would dream of. When you are flying a boring airliner you will realise it's the best flying you will ever do, also you gain the best mates to.

I did it for nearly 4 years, great times!

south coast
2nd Feb 2014, 08:59
Having flown around Africa for seven years, the one thing I would say is that one cannot be rigid nor expect to operate as one would in the first world and or for an airline, the environment, infrastructure and facilities available to you and your support team, maintenance, mean one has to be flexible, appreciative of the circumstances while remaining within a safe comfort zone.

Many things will test you, weather conditions, ATC, other traffic, maintenance and commercial pressure, but as others have said, one has to find a happy balance for it all.

It definitely will develop one's ability to make decisions, fly close to or on the limits and providing you also have a bit of luck it will be an invaluable experience.

Where are you going out of interest, Maun or to one of the a South African contract companies, NAC, Solenta or the like?

silverknapper
4th Feb 2014, 11:11
Take it. Some of the best guys I've flown with flew in Botswana in 206's etc. All of them consummate professionals in the airline/corporate environment.

Power Plant
4th Feb 2014, 21:34
South Coast, it will be in South Africa :)

Mirovinchi- thanks! That's really useful to know. Yes, 3 weeks isn't too long but hopefully you'll get something else soon!

south coast
5th Feb 2014, 07:38
Used to love the toasted sandwiches with a large fresh mango juice at the terminal cafe in Lanseria, which if you're flying in SA you will no doubt become very familiar with.

Good luck!

I.R.PIRATE
5th Feb 2014, 15:52
Well, expect to get shot at, hijacked, robbed.

In which 'bush' are you going to fly?

Klimax
5th Feb 2014, 23:26
I salute to those who says it will be your best flying ever - and it will be the flying you'll most likely be thinking back at with the best memories later on in life.

It's been pretty well describe by previous responders, what are the common perception and/or misconception of "bush flying" and "bush pilots". It's probably not unfair to say that there would be a higher than average amount of pilots coming of the "bush" with "bad" habits, than there is from say "flight instruction" and small charters. No doubt that the type of flying in the bush requires a fair amount of self discipline - to not follow a "downward" trend on standards. However a certain amount of flexibility, sense of reality, position awareness, situational awareness and so forth are factors that the individual pilot can hugely benefit from, and carry on with him in his career - and it will all be useful.

I moved from bush-regional airline-airline-bush-regional airline-corporate and can truly say that I find the skill's I've learned from the bush very useful in the corporate sector, perhaps more in the general handling of "situation" - rather than the actual flying. I think the perspective one the actual operation at hand, that one learns in the bush, can be transferred to a corporate operation - in terms of the mission orientation. As opposed to the airline operation, where most of the days mission is very predictable.

One final word of advise - always consider an opportunity to advance in your bush job - aim to go from SE piston to SE turboprob or ME piston, aim ME turboprop, aim to switch seat from right to left. Getting turbo prop experience is a significant benefit. BUT above all- ENJOY it!

Good luck!

ReverseFlight
9th Feb 2014, 10:01
If you love bush flying for life, ignore this post.

Those who want to upgrade something larger later could find that operators, especially airlines, prefer someone with lots of stick and rudder skills and airmanship experience (like bush flying), as opposed to someone who has merely built time with instructional experience in the right seat.

I'm not bashing instructors at all - I have an instructor rating myself and am well aware of its limitations.

Just my 2 cents' worth.