PDA

View Full Version : Flight Ops Software

tiptanks
31st Jan 2014, 22:37
A question for the informed:
Small charter company (20 aircraft, 8,000 flt hrs PA) is seeking to introduce new Flight Ops software suite with desirable features:
- fast, real time update, web based?, for multiple users @ multiple locations
- graphical interface for scheduling
- aircraft availability/serviceability
- pilot availability/recency/currency records and reports,
- interface with MYOB accounting
- charter cost quotations
- safety management module
- freight carried records and tracking
- output to flight manifest
- aircrew messaging / email / texting
- affordable cost
- intuitive and easy to use by aircrew and bookings staff.
- customisation and support offered by the vendor

Appreciate concise comments/recommendations from senior ppruners with experience of one or other of the numerous vendor software solutions on the market.
Thanks

FGD135
1st Feb 2014, 02:14
You're not asking for much!

Check_Thrust
1st Feb 2014, 02:25
A company that I used to work for that sounds like a similar sized operation to the one you mentioned used a programme called "Takeflite" (tflite.net). From memory Takeflite is a New Zealand company but I think they were setting up an Australian office as well. When the company I was working for was implementing the software I do recall that they were very open to helping with the introduction of it to our operation and I believe they made regular visits from across the Tasman for face to face discussions and support as well. They were constantly looking to improve its functionality for our operation as well as others.

The functions I do recall from the software include (and probably not limited to):
- Web based server with ability to access information from multiple locations via a Windows computer
- Graphical interface (not sure if our opinions of graphical interface are the same but I recall the layout looking something like the daily planner from Outlook)
- Tracking of maintenance hours for each aircraft
- Pilot rostering
- Online booking management for RPT flights

I think that the programme was capable of generating charter quotes, but not 100% sure on this.

It has been a few years since I have dealt with the software so I dare say there is much more functionality in the programme now compared to when I had anything to do with it. Also I was a pilot and did not work in ops or accounting so it may have had features that could help your operation that I was not aware of.

I do know that at the time I left the company I worked for, Takeflite was looking at introducing the tracking of pilot recency and flight and duty limits (tailored to either CAO 48 or any dispensation you may have) so I would hazard a guess to say that this would be now implemented.

I think they were also looking at the ability to allow pilots to export their roster into Outlook calendars or similar, but at the time I used it they would have to log into Takeflite (which was possible from home) to look at it.

I believe that the vendor is very keen to help improve the software in anyway possible to help meet your needs and are very forthcoming in communications to help ensure that they will implement what you want.

I found the programme fairly easy to use from my perspective, but I only had limited exposure to its use so I can't speak of its overall performance. Also I have no idea of how much this product costs (sorry). Hope this all helps.

Grogmonster
1st Feb 2014, 02:28
Tiptanks,

There are a few. We use Air Maestro and it does almost everything you ask but to be honest its not completely user friendly. Having said that if you train your staff properly they soon get the hang of it. Support is reasonably ok most of the time but I get the distinct feeling that we, the customers, are the ones providing the knowledge and fine tuning input. By that I mean they have developed a reasonable product but its by no means a turnkey operation.

I guess like all software it continually needs to be upgraded to do the job you want and in this case the quality of information you put into it definitely influences the outcome.

The positives are that CASA and most auditors love it and the cost while a little expensive is bearable. Give them a call and they will setup a conference call along with a web based demo.

Groggy

tmpffisch
1st Feb 2014, 07:22
I've seen both AirMaestro and Takeflite used independently of each other, but used together and you'll have a good operations suite. I've used both extensively, and have high regard especially for AirMaestro and their team.