PDA

View Full Version : No.2 Flying Training School (No. 2 FTS) Reforms

CoffmanStarter
31st Jan 2014, 16:49
Very interesting ...

I think our Leon J mentioned something about this possible development on a recent thread that seems to have now disappeared :8

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/2bb3dad0-d972-4135-84f5-6bf5da10aed0_zpsb637ac32.jpg

Delivery of RAF Air Cadet’s national gliding – which involves the world’s largest fleet of gliders – today switches to the command of the newly reformed No.2 Flying Training School (No. 2 FTS).

The school becomes a new centre of excellence in which young people can win their wings – often before they pass their driving test.

With its headquarters at RAF Syerston in Nottinghamshire, No. 2 FTS will oversee the gliding training programme for up to 45,000 air cadets aged 13-19. With 25 volunteer gliding squadrons around the UK, it provides training for the Air Training Corps’ 1,000 squadrons and 203 Combined Cadet Force (RAF) Sections in schools.

The Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Sir Andrew Pulford, endorsed the change. He said: “No 2 FTS has a long and distinguished unit history; I am delighted that it has become the new home of cadet gliding. The reformation of No 2 FTS is not just another milestone for Royal Air Force Air Cadet gliding it is also one for our Reserve organisation, with John Middleton becoming the first Full Time Reserve Service officer, at the rank of Group Captain, in a flying command appointment.”

RAF MOD No 2 FTS Reforms (http://www.raf.mod.uk/aircadets/newsandevents/index.cfm?topic=1C524D46-9C89-CC57-EC2FB935C32EC70C&storyid=0FE9C881-5056-A318-A853B62D34BE97D9)

Coff.

MPN11
31st Jan 2014, 17:24
Nice :ok:

Shame there isn't an RAF to match, but tempus fugit :hmm:

Dora-9
31st Jan 2014, 18:48
2 FTS reforms - with Chipmunks? Oh, I wish....

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/2FTSPAIR.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/Blithering/media/2FTSPAIR.jpg.html)

Lima Juliet
31st Jan 2014, 20:29
Yes ,Coff, I did. Let the fun begin, and about time too. The VGS has been neglected for too long, in my opinion, when you consider the risk to minors. That's not a slight on 3FTS, but their span of control for 1x Gp Capt was way too big (All Tutor flying (EFTS, UAS and AEF) plus 45(R) King Airs and the 28 VGS units).

The VGS have produced many of our best pilots (including the last 1Sqn Harrier Boss). Long may it continue with this renewed vigour! :ok:

LJ

http://empiretocommonwealth.webs.com/airforce%20misc/2fts.jpg

Lima Juliet
31st Jan 2014, 20:34
PS. I believe that there are many OC AEFs that are FTRS in a command appointment already - but the media never get it right!!!

Herod
31st Jan 2014, 20:43
2 FTS at Syerston? Now where have I seen that before? Oh yes, my JP course 1965-6.

Martin the Martian
1st Feb 2014, 08:51
Is this a renaming of the Air Cadet Central Gliding School?

tmmorris
1st Feb 2014, 13:33
Sort of but ACCGS was part of 22 Gp with the rest of the ACO and hence separated from the rest of military flying training. The move to 3FTS was a good step in the right direction but made 3FTS too unwieldy. This is a good move therefore.

Dominator2
1st Feb 2014, 20:31
Was it not only 2 years ago that the Stn Cdr at RAFCCranwell decided to have one of the Gp Capt posts at Cranwell dis-established? Thiswas to streamline the top heavy command chain on the Station. The complicatedreorganisation of RAFC, 3FTS, EFT and Syerston then proceeded to confused mostof those who served on the Station. Dueto his great foresight the Stn Cdr was soon to become a one*

Is it not ironic that only 2 years on and the RAF hasestablished a new FTRS Gp Capt post? Is a Gp Capt really required or would a competentSqn Ldr not have sufficed. If not, to save face, one of the many unemployableWg Cdrs would have been happy with a Command.

Is the new OC No 2 FTS the same Elmer Fudd from F4/F3days?

the heavy heavy
1st Feb 2014, 20:39
I'm sure with Middleton providing the sort of outstanding leadership, coolness under pressure, legendary diplomacy, graceful tact and wonderful human touch that he displayed during his loved and respected command tour with 25(F) Sqn, that 2 FTS will be the truly become a place of great happiness for all those reserve officers lucky, neh privileged, enough to serve there.

I salute thee.

4Greens
1st Feb 2014, 21:12
Off thread but posters can perhaps tell me how 1FTS is going. Trained there in my youth.

The B Word
1st Feb 2014, 22:06
respected command tour with 25(F) Sqn

I wonder if he'll modify the wings of the Vigilant to carry 1500L tanks so they can fly at endurance to make up the CFT and 'get back on the line'!! :oh:

The B Word

Wholigan
1st Feb 2014, 22:18
I must look up how to spell irony! :E

Dominator2
2nd Feb 2014, 08:21
Why stop there when 2250ltr tanks would completely sc**w over the Sqn. The man should not be let near aircraft or allowed to have any influence over aircrew. What was CAS thinking of?

Wander00
2nd Feb 2014, 09:38
I do not know this guy, but from comments above maybe the appointment is a cunning plan to drive the VR(T) guys and girls away.....I'll get my coat

Duplo
3rd Feb 2014, 13:20
presumably nobody else applied for the post... was it advertised on the FTRS website in the usual way?

ACW418
3rd Feb 2014, 15:57
Wander,

From experience it takes more than a Gp Capt with a poor reputation to deter VGS staff.

ACW

Wander00
3rd Feb 2014, 17:37
As an ex VR(T) (but not VGS) officer for a time I am well aware, and admire, their commitment. Hope it works out OK. The Air Cadet organisation is a huge force for good amongst young people and to the nation. I salute them all

Lima Juliet
3rd Feb 2014, 18:23
Duplo

presumably nobody else applied for the post... was it advertised on the FTRS website in the usual way?

Yes, it was advertised as Gp Capt Gliding and the closing date was Nov/Dec 13 if I recall correctly. I thought about applying, but thanks to the abatement rules it would have have cost me at least £100 per month to do the job (as I would be paying the extra NI that I wouldn't pay on my pension).

That said, there's no guarantee I would have got it. Don't forget that JM was already a Gp Capt in FTRS working within the Air Cadet Organisation, so he has the flying experience and the Air Cadet experience that the job requires.

LJ :ok:

the heavy heavy
3rd Feb 2014, 21:49
I hope the cadets aren't spared his legendary humour. Oh how we laughed as he nearly suffered an aneurism whilst ordering a flight commander to 'code red' a junior member of his squadron.

What a hoot.

What a guy!

brokenlink
3rd Feb 2014, 22:19
Wander00, thanks for the kind words re the ATC. 73 years since it was formed this week.

Wander00
3rd Feb 2014, 22:25
That's a coincidence - I was a VR(T) officer with 1094 City of Ely Sqn 1970-72, when I transferred to the TA. The former Mrs W still lives in Ely, and my elder sons went to the comprehensive school there.

teeteringhead
4th Feb 2014, 09:18
It's hardly a small command is it. Although "flying his flag" at Syerston (where I too got my wings with 2 FTS in 1969 ;)), John Mid now commands 27 (IIRC) Volunteer Glider Squadrons (no longer "Schools") spread over all 4 UK countries. He is the fully signed-up DDH.

Don't know how much flying he'll get, but a lot of hours in a Vectra - or whatever groupies get these days. And his boss will still be Comdt Air Cadets (an FTRS one-star), rather than ACFT (or whatever they are called today).

27mm
4th Feb 2014, 10:34
The Staish at Coningsby has a Skoda.....:cool:

teeteringhead
4th Feb 2014, 12:37
Yes - I've seen one or two in Skoda Superbs - which looks very agreeable.....

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYR8wPG8NFJf6oLzDCkkbfK0U92RQvlfxDss7QzJM 5QecycYeFq6jgeSSN

..... and Skodas have a good reputation now.

brokenlink
4th Feb 2014, 12:44
Wander00, if you PM me 1094 has its 50th since reforming next year and we are planning some form of commemoration that would include former staff and cadets, happy to let you have the details as and when they become known.

99 Change Hands
4th Feb 2014, 13:52
I take it this is John 'my pianist is stuck at the gate' Middleton of TWCU days? Blimey!

FrustratedFormerFlie
4th Feb 2014, 15:01
I wonder who lurks in the ACCGS (sorry 2FTS) crew room these days? Surely all the names I remember will be long gone....

BBK
4th Feb 2014, 15:29
FFF

How far back do you want to go?

Pondy, Tappo, Albert J, Lloyd P, John W, the original "skull in a stick" etc...

Ladley was a lovely old chap. Gentleman aviator if ever there was.

BBK

praesta2
5th Feb 2014, 08:47
How true - a lot of knowledge in that crew room

HTB
5th Feb 2014, 09:12
Is Middleton now a pilot again? I'm sure he was a nav last time I saw him as a TSU bully boy doing over 16 Sqn at LBH (mid-'80s). I think he was a pilot the first time I encountered him at Scampton, going through the V-Force grinding machine as a co-pilot (him, not me; I was nav radar being terrorised by real professionals - names on request:E).

A man to be avoided, both socially (if he knew what that meant) and professionally (reputedly, I hear - never shared a cockpit with him).

Mister B

FrustratedFormerFlie
5th Feb 2014, 11:17
BBK

Yup, all the above and a few more (my goodness, Dougie King, there's a name I havent heard in a while). Robin Miller? Mike Throssell? Leigh Hood? John Wynch? John Plummer? Brian Lamb? Mike Baker?

Shall we play a game of 'where are they now'?!

27mm
5th Feb 2014, 11:58
HTB,

IIRC, Mid was chopped during Nav / Pilot crossover training and reverted Nav. He was QWIL on V Sqn F3 around 88-91 and then subsequently I believe he was OC 25 Sqn.

Roadster280
5th Feb 2014, 16:52
45,000 cadets? That's bigger than the RAF and RN, and half the size of the Army!

Duplo
6th Feb 2014, 06:59
I wonder if Middleton is going to Fin Fest… that might prove interesting..!!

FrustratedFormerFlie
6th Feb 2014, 11:41
If his rep is as fine as that, one wonders what unpleasant task he has been sent to perform...

Sky Sports
28th Oct 2015, 20:44
Well, it appears that unpleasant task, as mentioned in the previous post was;

'Stop air cadets flying at all costs'.

Mission accomplished, Sir!