PDA

View Full Version : Australia Hiring?

TheMist
31st Jan 2014, 04:27
So what is going on Australia?!
Just renewed my IR, all set to go where ever at a moments notice to interview, and I am calling around the country and no one is hiring in GA!
(apart from Instructors)

morno
31st Jan 2014, 04:34
I am calling around the country

As in calling with your iThingy? There's your problem.

Go for a drive.

Urshtnme
31st Jan 2014, 04:44
No, bugger orf

:E

717tech
31st Jan 2014, 06:28
The job isn't likely to just rock up on your doorstep!

KRUSTY 34
31st Jan 2014, 06:28
Cruel maybe, but you're kidding right!

Flying Bear
31st Jan 2014, 07:15
GA companies I know, when looking for pilots, are not going to consider pilots who can't do anything more to seek a job than e-mail resumes and do the "ring around".

Phone calls rarely come at convenient times for those responsible for making the hiring / firing decisions, so do some research and travel and get known face-to-face with operators.

Amongst the multitude of those starting out, those who make the effort will get the reward. Send the resume, by all means - but follow up with a visit. Don't make the phone call and expect results.

TheMist
31st Jan 2014, 07:27
I am not asking for the job on the phone! I am asking for experience required etc and if they are or will be looking for pilots. I totally understand the get in the car and go travelling method, and have done it in the past. Yes I know the threads on here etc all about it. The point of the post is there was/is supposed to be some substantial movement out there, and that's not the case, unless you are an Instructor.

morno
31st Jan 2014, 07:48
Not too much movement at the moment. Wrong time of the year.

Give it a few months and maybe a little.

thorn bird
31st Jan 2014, 08:11
"no one is hiring in GA!"
Jeez mate didnt anyone tell you, Ga dosnt exist anymore in Australia.
CAsA killed it!!

Howard Hughes
31st Jan 2014, 08:44
Not too much movement at the moment. Wrong time of the year.

Ya kidding right? Have seen at least six entry level jobs advertised since the start of this year, considering it is normally a slow time of year for job ads, I'd say there is plenty of work around if you are prepared to look! :ok:

morno
31st Jan 2014, 08:54
S'pose you're right Howard. Just thinking more about the top end traditionally at this time of year.

That said, I don't pay toooo much attention to the entry level job ads.

morno

Howard Hughes
31st Jan 2014, 09:00
Quite a few first turbine jobs being advertised too! :ok:

TheMist
31st Jan 2014, 21:16
Please provide links/info to these ads you are seeing for 2014, excluding afap.
I'm not looking for an entry level job, I have 2500hrs and looking for multi, or prepared to step up soon.

Mach E Avelli
31st Jan 2014, 22:36
Misty old mate, you may not be looking for an 'entry level' job, but the reality is that there is a food chain in GA just like most careers and businesses.

Unless you have something that sets you apart from the competition - like 500 hours turbine time already - you may have to accept 'entry level' to get a foot in the door. Unpalatable as that may be.

Most of the pilots reading this thread are probably also looking to move into, or up. So why would anyone give you a link to a potential job? The AFAP site and Friday's 'Australian' are the main sources for links - available to all.
Other than that, most GA outfits with more than one aeroplane have their own websites, on which they post vacancies. Google.

As has been suggested, you need to get in a vehicle and go door knocking. It won't come to you via these forums.

TheMist
31st Jan 2014, 22:40
Mach, thank you for being someone normal who has replied.
Yes I have 500 FO turbine time, though I am hunting for a gig on a Navajo or similar to get the PIC.
Re asking for the links to ads, was to verify the claims, because I have not seen those ads on afap for 2014.

tmpffisch
31st Jan 2014, 23:15
2600TT but not much of that is PIC? Probably going to be looking for an entry level job. Opportunities like Jetstar, Qlink, Tiger etc are around for experience levels such as yours, provided you have the required command experience.

Howard Hughes
1st Feb 2014, 01:00
Re asking for the links to ads, was to verify the claims, because I have not seen those ads on afap for 2014.
AFAP, Australian, NT News, SEEK and various aviation company websites, I'm not gonna do the hard work for you! ;)

I'm not even looking and I come across jobs on a regular basis, only wish it had have been that abundant when I was starting out! :ok:

Flying Bear
1st Feb 2014, 01:43
TheMist,

Most of the responses here have come from "normal" people, so if you ask the question - be prepared for the diverse viewpoints...

From the above, there is a strong consensus that you need to go seek the operators physically, as well as pursue the ads - many operators don't advertise as they get a constant stream of hopefuls through the door and therefore can select from that pool.

Certainly, my experience is that the types of companies you currently seek employment with will not consider you without a meeting in person. Guaranteed that they are not going to instigate that meeting - the initiative for this rests squarely with you! If your experience is majority F/O (as a former Sharp's cadet or similar) - it is most likely that you will spend time in an entry level position - as without an established record of command experience you are not likely to jump straight into a Navajo, etc without at least a few months of proving yourself on the job. The same would be true if you have a bit of S/E command and are starting with an operator who does not know you.

Perhaps we'll get to see you in the NT sometime soon!

Clare Prop
2nd Feb 2014, 01:05
If you've been out of things for a while then why renew your IR without doing the market research first? I've never understood why people do things this way round?

Good luck, anyway, and one thing, the "in person" thing can really work against you if you just rock up and expect the chief pilot to drop everything for you. The amount of times I've been dragged out of meetings and briefing rooms and had flights delayed because some stranger whose ink isn't dry on the licence was told that you must walk in and demand to see the chief pilot in person ... and then the covering letter for the resume says "Dear Sir" :=:=:= !!!

So ring and make an appointment and if they say they don't need anyone then they don't need anyone.

BPA
2nd Feb 2014, 03:06
In the last few week I've seen Skippers, Maroomba and Air North advertise. Also seen numerous caravan jobs advertised, not to mention other twin and turboprop jobs.

If you are on Facebook there is a page called ozpilotlife and they put job adds up every few days. These adds cover those looking for their first job right up to overseas contract jobs.

Mach E Avelli
2nd Feb 2014, 09:27
As a former chief pilot I would never cut short a meeting or in any way change my schedule to meet a 'walk up' applicant. If they were genuine they would wait.
If the applicant was well presented, had all his licences and logbooks with him and a decent resume, I always found time either at the end of that business day or before start of the next to at least give him/her 15 minutes of courtesy that I believed initiative and persistence deserved. Even if only to tell the wannabe where else to try if his experience was insufficient for our requirements.
I much preferred a direct approach to the time-wasters who could not understand advertisements that we sometimes placed requiring certain minima - when they were nowhere near that minima. They usually applied with reams of supporting material that took time to digest to realise they were faking it or simply trying it on. This only succeeded in having me place them on a black list - not to be considered for any future vacancy. With a notation - "can't read - lacks basic comprehension". Cruel, huh?

TheMist
2nd Feb 2014, 10:01
@BPA All FO jobs, or single engine. Multi piston that have been advertised recently have required time on certain types. As others have pointed out the ones I am really after don't need to advertise as they are the ones with people knocking on the door it seems, and I agree.
@Clare Prop I am in agreement to try for an appointment, as I haven't always had a good reception when turning up in person cold calling in the past, which is why I am taking the phone route at the moment. ...It is having some pluses, I've saved on a few trips already such as to Alice, as an operator there actually interviews and hires from Melbourne, and a operator in Cairns is not hiring for 6 months, and one in Melbourne has surplus pilots as it is. Surprising how many Chief Pilots are away sick at the moment too.
As for research first, believe me yes I did just that, watching all the masses of ads from the higher ups heating up from Sept to Dec. Getting confirmation from a couple of HRs of lower down companies of stockpiling CVs ready for the movement. However the only evidence of mass shift so far has been the abundance of Instructor vacancies. Maybe I'm just a bit pre-emptive as Morno pointed out.

pilotchute
2nd Feb 2014, 10:38
Who is the Alice Springs operator who only hires in Melbourne? Australasian Jet haven't had a presence in Alice for almost 2 years.

Anthill
2nd Feb 2014, 20:17
A very fair call IMHO, Mach. A former CP of Pel-Air told me over a beer that he used to do the same thing. Many companies spend hundreds of thousands of $s on psychometrics examinations to see if candidates can read and comprehend written English, yet a basic sieve for these skills is available at the application stage.

Flying Bear
2nd Feb 2014, 21:09
I agree with you too, Mach.

On the first page I have described how I look at it, and I am in such a role.

However, from the amount of rationalisations and tone I sense an unhealthy level of cynicism / sense of entitlement from the OP for a pilot looking to do some GA time...

TheMist
2nd Feb 2014, 23:03
@Pilotchute Ayers Rock Flightseeing, P68s etc, owned by a Helicopter outfit at Moorabbin

@Flying Bear, wow, from what I have said you get that? Geesh.

Cessna 180
3rd Feb 2014, 04:21
It's tough out there.

Some places tell you to turn up not ring up, next door will tell you the opposite.

It is no wonder some folks get confused.

I think the experienced people should remember what is was like when they were looking for a new job and the job hunters should put themselves briefly in the employers shoes and hopefully all meet somewhere in between.

Misty, just out of interest why do you begin all your scentences with @?

TheMist
3rd Feb 2014, 04:28
If responding to a particular person, as in @=at <username>
A lot of other internet forums use it

Cessna 180
3rd Feb 2014, 04:30
I see, thakyou