PDA

View Full Version : E flight bag

walesregent
31st Jan 2014, 00:58
I know this topic has been widely discussed on this forum but just in case this aspect has been missed I thought it was worth bringing up. I was flying yesterday with my ipad on my knee, but not actually in use. I guess I was about 30 minutes into the flight and the ipad had been covered for most of that time but had been uncovered with the sun beating down on it for about 10 minutes (it wasn't particularly hot- oat ~20•c- but it was in direct sunlight). Out of curiosity I wanted to look something up about an en route aerodrome, but when I pressed the home button a temperature warning was on the screen and it wouldn't work at all. As I was concentrating on other things I didn't notice how long it had to be left in the shade before it started working again but, having had the same experience with an iPhone on the ground, I know it is not quick.

For me the ipad was doing nothing, other than perhaps getting in the way of the controls, but if you use them for private ops it is worth bearing in mind that more things can go wrong than a flat battery.

Old Akro
31st Jan 2014, 02:21
If the iPad gets too hot is shuts down until its cool.

Never put in on top of the instrument panel. You need to develop new habits! I've never had trouble with it getting too hot on my knee, I presume you were just the right angle to the sun.

I have a full cover on mine so I can put in vertically beside the seat without scratching it.

Jabawocky
31st Jan 2014, 03:41
Buy an iPad2 they are far less prone to this.

Otherwise use a RAM mount which allows it to stay cool and do not leave it on the dash. Buy a white one helps.

Flying Ted
31st Jan 2014, 05:14
I have an iPad2 and regularly use it. I've never had any problem.

I'm wary of direct sun light and so will keep the cover closed when I'm not actually using it. This does mean taking it off the knew strap.

Old Akro
31st Jan 2014, 09:58
I use an iPad 3 and will have trouble within minutes of putting it on top of the instrument panel.

Lasiorhinus
2nd Feb 2014, 05:10
So don't put it on the instrument panel!

Oakape
2nd Feb 2014, 19:49
I wonder how QF are getting on with theirs. The article in the Jan/Feb issue of Australian Aviation has a couple of photos with them on the clipboard beside the side windows. They do have sunshades on those windows though.

Bevan666
2nd Feb 2014, 23:00
The iPad 3/4 is the worst for heat as the backlight generates so much heat internally.

The best way to keep an iPad cool is;

1. Keep it out of the direct sun if possible

2. Keep it out of a case - these act like little blankets to keep the warmth in. iPad's are passively cooled out of the back shell

3. Take it off charge.

4. Direct some airflow over it

The new iPad Air runs really cool - it gets as warm as the iPad 2 (and runs so much faster than the 3 and 4)

Bevan..

Jabawocky
3rd Feb 2014, 01:47
wot Bevan said.....

+

use a ram mount as it has an offset to allow for a cooling air gap.

MakeItHappenCaptain
3rd Feb 2014, 01:56
Never put in on top of the instrument panel.

And not due to just heat either. You seen how well the magnets in those things will fcuk with your compass when it goes anywhere near it?:E:cool:

compressor stall
3rd Feb 2014, 20:17
Just like the ERSA of old