PDA

View Full Version : Weirdness accessing this forum.

effortless
30th Jan 2014, 08:00
Anyone reading the military section on an Ipad? I am and I find that it the AppStore opens a page for Lovoo dating agency. Only happens when reading Military forum. Does this happen to anyone else?

Guess I'll have to put my iTinhat on.

SVK
30th Jan 2014, 11:29
Me too!

Along with the last post on each thread containing an uncalled for and unwelcome advert.

Please Mods, can you have a look at this? It's obvious that a bit of spamming is taking place.

500N
30th Jan 2014, 12:34
"Along with the last post on each thread containing an uncalled
for and unwelcome advert."

+ 1

Just Noticed that recently.

Sand4Gold
30th Jan 2014, 13:02
+ 2 - more annoying when using an iPad, i.e. off to App Store u go!

PPRuNe Towers
30th Jan 2014, 13:30
I've fired the problem over to the techs in California and provided a link to exactly this thread.

Any other similar complaints about the IOS app please chip in with as many details on the behaviour you are seeing as possible please.

Rob

ShyTorque
30th Jan 2014, 15:25
I've had exactly the same problem this afternoon, tbh it's been driving me mad and my wife has voiced her great displeasure having briefly seen a dating website on the screen!....

Safari repeatedly closes down and App store opens, direct to that same advert.

I'm now on a PC without issues

Marly Lite
30th Jan 2014, 15:32
Wonga.com hijacking the bottom of my screen! Sue their arses!

racedo
30th Jan 2014, 16:07
Thought initially was just a comment on forum members...........

Not got any issues as using Firefox with Ad blocker and Ghostery.

Dating websites only come up based on what you previously were looking at :O

500N
30th Jan 2014, 16:16
"- more annoying when using an iPad, i.e. off to App Store u go!"

Agree. And was using SAFARI on the iPa which is brand new.

and never used for looking at Dating websites.

"Dating websites only come up based on what you
previously were looking at http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/embarass.gif"

Shams608
30th Jan 2014, 16:18
Same from this iPhone. Tried another forum at random - Fragrant Harbour - and the same redirect to the App Store.
Haven't noticed any unwelcome ads at the foot of the page though; has Gordon Brown been reduced to peddling his services as a financial advisor ?

cobalt42
30th Jan 2014, 16:37
No problem on my iAppliance here, though I use a bookmark imported from laptop safari into iAppliance safari so don't go anywhere near the App Store... had a few issues with some 'apps', even those linked to 'reputable' organisations:ooh:

Thanks for t'eads-up; if owt 'appens I'll let you know:ok:

500N
30th Jan 2014, 16:41
I am now on another computer, old Mac using firefox
and problem still evident as is advert.

Sand4Gold
30th Jan 2014, 16:41
racedo - you maybe thinking of a tracking cookie, used by companies like Google.

This is, I suspect, somewhat different? I cleared my iPad of history (no, I don't use dating websites?!*) and cookies - tried again, same problem?

Still get the advert bottom post - noticed the same on the Middle East forum - when using desktop (iMac)?

Will try Firefox/Puffin......

Sand4Gold
30th Jan 2014, 17:00
Interesting - when logged in, no advert. Logged-out, I get the advert in the last post?

Now starting to go way above my basic skills......

racedo
30th Jan 2014, 17:31
I get nowt and happy for that to continue :)

IBobi
30th Jan 2014, 18:23
Hi all,

I have our ad ops people tracking down two issues reported here.

One, the ad appearing at the bottom post, is going to be moved down outside the post itself. Also, the ad will not appear once you have logged in, so if you don't want to see it in the meantime, log in.

Two, the redirect to the App Store on iDevices. This is not intentional, and sounds like an advertising network is running a bad ad to us. We're on the case and looking to find it and block it.

I'll keep you posted as I hear more. Sorry bout that.

Paul

500N
30th Jan 2014, 18:37
"One, the ad appearing at the bottom post, is going to be moved down outside the post itself."

That would be good.

Lima Juliet
30th Jan 2014, 18:57
And me - thought my iPad had a virus! I was about to accise my daughter for going on Lovoo!!!

howiehowie93
30th Jan 2014, 19:26
always had an advert on the last post until I logged on.

There was a note too that "logging on would get rid of adverts" or something :ok:

I never access on a iPad as I never know the app to use for forums.

newt
30th Jan 2014, 19:39
I keep getting Paypal popping up and taking me to their website! It only happens on the mil page!

Must owe someone cash?

Melchett01
30th Jan 2014, 19:44
Same from this iPhone. Tried another forum at random - Fragrant Harbour - and the same redirect to the App Store.

I have the same issue and wonder if it isn't an IOS problem rather than a Prune problem? I have been on various websites (non of them dodgy) on my iPhone and iPad and been redirected to the App Store.

The fact that it happened on 2 separate platforms and on different websites to my mind suggests it might be more to do with Apple and how cookies / tracking interacts with the App Store.

Interestingly, I can no longer seem to get PPRuNe in the App store to load it onto my iPad - does the PRuNe app still exist?

Dysonsphere
30th Jan 2014, 20:19
Not getting it on Chrome or Firefox so Apple problem might be right.

500N
30th Jan 2014, 20:23
I think you might be correct.

I had the problem on a new iPad but not now on this platform.

Maybe iPad and Safari are one combo where the problem exists ?

smujsmith
30th Jan 2014, 20:46
I'm stuck on an IPad, but have not had that problem. I do not use an app, I log in through the interweb jobby. Perhaps the problem lies with the app ? Apologise if I've missed something somewhere.

Smudge:ok:

Lima Juliet
30th Jan 2014, 21:23
iPad 1 with iOS 5.1.1 for me - and it's just done it on Safari... :ugh:

Shams608
30th Jan 2014, 21:23
I'd love to ascribe it to IOS 7 and its satanic updates, but I've yet to experience this problem outside pprune. Haven't downloaded a pprune app; this is straight from the internet using Safari.
That said, I've managed to type this without a redirect, so fingers crossed.

ETA : pprune did just log me out though, so maybe not.

Rick777
31st Jan 2014, 01:33
I use Chrome on iOS 7 with my iPad and don't seem to have any issues.

Wensleydale
31st Jan 2014, 07:32
....and in the last week or so I have been unable to use the "quote button" to highlight text or directly access the smilies on the right. Not sure if it is my system or the website though. (Norton security occasionally does daft things).

5711N0205W
31st Jan 2014, 20:46
Happening to me tonight, symptoms as described above, banner ads at the bottom and being involuntarily dumped to the App Store, dating site and some game. Safari on iPad.

Lord Spandex Masher
31st Jan 2014, 21:13
Had this yesterday and today.

Turning off Java script in settings stops it happening.

Ipad on i:yuk:S7.

Lyneham Lad
31st Jan 2014, 21:20
And there was me thinking everyone would be using the Forum Runner app to access this forum. Absolutely no spam appearing on my iPad Mini running iOS7.

IBobi
31st Jan 2014, 22:15
A few questions for those experiencing these iDevice issues redirecting to app store:

1. Are you outside the UK/Aus/NZ?
2. Are you always directed to the app store listing for "Lovoo" or is there another app as well?
3. I understand this is happening in the Military forum -- elsewhere as well?
4. Was there a particular time of day when the redirects happened, or any time?

anotherthing
31st Jan 2014, 23:13
I'm on a laptop in the UK using Opera. When I open the thread 'what did you see in the back of a hangar in SE Asia' I get a drop down banner for www.chinook-helicopter.com asking for a username and password...

doesn't happen on any other thread

IBobi
1st Feb 2014, 00:01
We have temporarily paused all ads serving to mobile until we can root out the bad seed. Sorry for this, everyone. We'll figure it out.

You should stop seeing such ads within the hour. If you see them over the weekend please let me know, via this thread or a PM.

Thank you,

Paul

500N
1st Feb 2014, 00:03
Thanks for getting on top of this.

:ok:

Skeleton
1st Feb 2014, 02:53
The unwelcome ad in the last post happens on the two android devices I use. Both on the browser and Google Store App. Only noticed it the other day and it does not happen all the time.

Bushfiva
1st Feb 2014, 03:19
I'm getting the Chinook Helicopter popup too, IE11 on a PC.

Edit: OK, that turns out to be Nutloose' post #12 on that thread, attempting to embed photos from the Chinook site.

anotherthing
1st Feb 2014, 08:02
Cheers Bushiva,

At least I now know it is nothing malicious

Skeleton
1st Feb 2014, 10:52
Weirdly since I posted the above it's stopped doing it.

IBobi
3rd Feb 2014, 21:21
If you see the iDevices again, please report it as soon as possible. We're going to be testing to see where the ad is coming from, and timing will be crucial.

Thank you for your help with this!

Paul

Sand4Gold
3rd Feb 2014, 21:59
Paul,

For what it's worth - using my iPad looking at the Independent Newspaper www. website (UK), it did the same, but to a different App?

S4G

CelticRambler
4th Feb 2014, 20:24
For those who might be interested, this same problem is now cropping up elsewhere. There seems to be a definite connection with iOS - perhaps the beginning of the end of Apple's claim to be immune to internet badness.

ShyTorque
4th Feb 2014, 20:54
I've not had this happen since the PPRuNe action was taken. Before it was occurring very minute or so, or less.

500N
4th Feb 2014, 21:42
Am back on iPad. Seems to be good now as per pos,t above.

Am in Australia, new iPad.

Hangarshuffle
4th Feb 2014, 23:06
I was bumped off here once, a few years ago. Said the wrong thing, never allowed back on, never allowed to apologise or explain etc - I accept this but was surprised at the level of censorship.
Basically you aren't allowed to log on again - you receive no explanation, it just happens.
Now back on as HS.
If I get bumped off again, simply change id, avatar etc. and crack on again.

Skeleton
4th Feb 2014, 23:19
Have to say you lost me with that post Hanger, nice story but what has it to do with rouge ads appearing? :D

newt
6th Feb 2014, 20:35
It's happening again on my IPad! Thomson holidays ads jumping up all the time and page reducing in size. Someone needs to sort this out! Damn annoying especially as I would never ever use Thomson!:}

tubby linton
6th Feb 2014, 21:14
I am experiencing the same problem on my ipad.a very intrusive banner advertising holidays fromThomson. It has an annoying flicker and despite there being a cross in the top right hand corner it cannot be removed.

Sloppy Link
6th Feb 2014, 21:16
Me too, driving me nuts!

500N
6th Feb 2014, 21:24
Newt, Tubby (and others)

Where is this intrusive banner ? Top, bottom, in the thread ?

As said, before, I don't seem to be having the problems anymore
only get the adverts at the top and bottom of the page.

newt
6th Feb 2014, 21:39
It's at the bottom and the screen flickers at the same time!

Has stopped now so I suspect someone knows how to stop this temporarily but not permanently?

tubby linton
6th Feb 2014, 21:51
I have just had a banner for First Choice jumping around the screen. It seems to be preceded by the forum boxes narrowing and a large white area appearing on the right hand side.

500N
6th Feb 2014, 21:58
I'll keep an eye out tonight and over the weekend.

tubby linton
6th Feb 2014, 22:01
Whilst I was furiously trying to get the cross to close the banner to work I was directed to the advertisers website which appeared to be genuine.

IBobi
7th Feb 2014, 00:27
We turned on an old ad network today and it looks like that has told us what we need to know. That's where the bad redirect is coming from.

Sorry again for the inconvenience. But at least we feel we can block it securely from happening, at least from that network.

If this pups up again in the future, please let me know.

Paul

Roland Pulfrew
7th Feb 2014, 06:35
Yep, me too with the annoying Thompson add and my iPad. Really bloody annoying. If I want to book a holiday I will look at the website of a holiday company (and Thompson, you are dropping down the list of companies I would choose); I don't want annoying pop-up adverts when I'm trying to read PPRuNe.

newt
7th Feb 2014, 07:01
It's stopped now! Seems you need to be very careful about who advertises on Prune! Even genuine companies employ geeks who try to ensure their presence is felt!:ok:

PPRuNe Towers
27th Feb 2014, 10:21
Thread revived and back up on the first page again folks,

There seems to have been an App Store redirect flare up again. If you've suffered it please pass on as much detail for the techs as you can.

Rob

BEagle
28th Feb 2014, 12:26
Even on a normal PC running IE8, I'm getting odd effects from some of these adverts - such as occasional page resizing and slow loading as all the 'waiting for adcrap' (seen at the lower left corner just above the system tray) add-ons fire themselves up.

Yes the site needs sponsors, but the advertising infestation seems to be proliferating to a wholly unnacceptable degree nowadays.

And does anyone actually look at or click on the adverts? I certainly don't....:hmm: