PDA

View Full Version : Ripping Yarns : ACM Sport of Kings

CoffmanStarter
30th Jan 2014, 07:35
Many seemed to enjoy the last "Ripping Yarns" opportunity we a had a couple of months back ... so I thought it might be a good time for another topic in the series.

Prompted by a couple of recent threads posting some cracking low level cockpit footage ... I came across this little gem yesterday.

RAF Valley Hawk T2 from IV(R) Sqn entering the merge as a hostile aircraft against two defending aircraft. See the lead aircraft separate to the vertical at 23 secs (watch bottom right of screen ...) ... I pass no comment on the sound track :uhoh:

I hope this clip will prompt a few members to share their stories from TWU, OCU or Squadron days ... the more amusing or comical the better :ok:

Sadly my only experience is limited to a righthand seat "sandbag" trip in a JP5a with RFS 3FTS Leeming in 1980 ... a two ship spirited tail chase ... it put a smile on my face for weeks :)

Air Combat Manoeuvring Sortie (Test Upload) - YouTube

Best ...

Coff

bakseetblatherer
30th Jan 2014, 21:10
Haha that guy is doing the Nav's ACT 'fit'. Trying to anticipate the stick monkey, keep an eye on the instruments and not stuff your neck whilst keeping tally/visual - what fun :D

Fox3WheresMyBanana
30th Jan 2014, 21:38
First dual ACT on TWU..

"Outwards turn for combat, go"

I turn outwards, instructor turns inwards & shoots me.

Fundamental Principle of Air Combat - don't be the one to die.

Op_Twenty
30th Jan 2014, 22:10
Guys, it's been a long time since I've posted here but this video was uploaded by my good self to the interwebs ;) (with my wife's choice of music - long story) to show a Twitter user the dynamics of ACM from inside the cockpit. It's a film from a few months back where I am the hostile (tow) on a 2v1 ACM SQFI (Student QFI) sortie where my SQFI has to be intentionally defensive throughout. I am not flying the aircraft although I am the Captain - the filming does not in anyway detract from the facilitation of instruction which I am sure you all can all see and appreciate. I am more than happy to upload more videos for you of the various disciplines that are taught on the Hawk T2 at IV(R) Sqn, RAF Valley. I would like to think that we can all appreciate the necessity to prioritise student training so that we can populate the front-line, these few films are made on staff training sorties to try and contribute to the manuals and sortie briefs so that the students can visualise the sortie pre-flight. The 'rushes' I can upload for those interested parties.

I am OC Standards and OC Instructor Trg, IV(R) Sqn.

N2erk
31st Jan 2014, 00:08
Nice video but too short. Missing was the typical nav/back seater's comments of "do your pilot thing, Mav":E. Canopy-to-canopy pass would have been nice. Pls post more, (if it doesn't contravene the Official Secrets Act) :=

Dan Winterland
31st Jan 2014, 01:52
And chose better music!

CoffmanStarter
31st Jan 2014, 08:39
Op Twenty ...

Many thanks for coming on ... cracking video :D:D:D:D

IMHO the "Firm" should be doing more with media like this (say via the official RAF YouTube Channel) to help the General Public understand the importance and continuing need for such training ... ACM, Low Level, Evasion etc. ... With a greatly reduced Air Force these days it would also help keep the RAF firmly in the mind of the Nation.

With technology today you don't need huge production budgets and a lot can be achieved with a GoPro (which I assume you are using at Valley ... like the Reds too)

There is stuff still out there but it features kit no longer on our inventory and not therefore relevant today ...

See here ...

RAF Low Flying - Jaguars - YouTube

Just love the self-critique at the end of this clip ...

RAF Harrier GR7 HUD vid: Low level and practice bombing runs - YouTube

I for one would like to see more "rushes" :ok:

Best ...

Coff

tartare
31st Jan 2014, 09:49
Gents,
What's the lake in/near near the Mach loop called?
The one that has a business/conference centre on the shore - that one should under no circumstances fly low and fast past? :E

Edited to say: Found it.
Lyn Mwyngil. The Old Rectory.
Tks Google Earth.

clicker
31st Jan 2014, 13:00
Did like that Harrier clip.

Was that in the Mach loop followed by a spell at Pembery Range?

I presume the little v's on the HUD were some sort of terrain warning?

Flap62
31st Jan 2014, 13:18
It's an amalgam of footage. It begins in Scotland (nice tactical flying down the centre of Loch Ness and lots of wing flashing btw!) and the range is Frasca in Corsica. The little vs are thermal imaging cues which hop about on points of thermal significance, designed to pick up hot vehicle engines, actually better at finding cows!

BEagle
31st Jan 2014, 18:49
CoffmanStarter wrote: Sadly my only experience is limited to a righthand seat "sandbag" trip in a JP5a with RFS 3FTS Leeming in 1980

So, apart from Chipmunks, which aircraft types did you actually fly in the RAF?

VictorSR
31st Jan 2014, 18:56
Er, I may have been the guilty party for your ride with RFS - we looked for willing flyers mostly on a Friday afternoon, when the guys on the course were wimbling homewards
Why not PM me and see if we did indeed fly together?

CoffmanStarter
31st Jan 2014, 19:10
BEagle ... I simply wasn't good enough to go beyond the delight of the Chipmunk.

Best ...

Coff.

Sleeping
31st Jan 2014, 19:13
the range is Frasca in Corsica

Strewth - no wonder my bombing scores were so bad - I was aiming at the wrong island!

Flap62
31st Jan 2014, 19:38
Fair point! Sardinia then....

CoffmanStarter
31st Jan 2014, 20:07
VictorSR ... PM sent :ok:

Wholigan
31st Jan 2014, 20:13
Strewth - no wonder my bombing scores were so bad - I was aiming at the wrong
island!

:ok::E ;)

NutLoose
31st Jan 2014, 23:06
Must have been a rough ride in the Jag, he has his helmet on, canopy shut, but never bothered to strap himself in :)

clicker
1st Feb 2014, 04:46
Thanks Flap62,

I was totally wrong then. Perhaps just as well I failed the eyesight medical. Might have caused serious harm to HM forces. :E