PDA

View Full Version : Tristar VS Moorabbin Flying Services VS MFT in Moorabbin

chchan
30th Jan 2014, 05:04
Hi All,

Im looking for a school in Moorabbin for my PPL.
I did a search, even though things come up may be a bit old..
I found that most people will go for either MFS or MFT instead of Tristar, but the cheap rates that tristar offering is really tempting.

Does anyone fly in Tristar or MFS before/recently?
Please give me some advice on these schools.

Thanks in advice!

L.Chan:ok::ok:

Old Akro
30th Jan 2014, 05:23
The best school is the one with the instructor you like and has a teching style that works for you.

Go and meet them.

All of the schools you mentioned will be happy to meet you and spend time talking with you.

chchan
30th Jan 2014, 05:27
Thx a lot Old Akro! I read your post before:)
Certainly I will go and take a look. But sadly I won't stay there for so long as im actually coming from HK....that's why I wanna grap as much information as I can from the web:)

Old Akro
30th Jan 2014, 05:39
In that case, I would send an email to each and get the basic questions done with. Or ring each today and ask to speak to the CFI, introduce yourself and maybe get an email.

Part of the decision will be aircraft type. Part of the decision might be what ground school they offer for the theory exams (unless you want to study by yourself). Some use simulators to start with as a cost reduction excercise. You might want to discuss that. If you think you might learn faster with an instructor who has some Asian language skills (eg., if you are Chinese & Cantonese is your native language) then ask about that too. Some schools try and create a club type atmosphere. If that appeals, ask about that. You might also ask about other students. You might prefer a school with a bunch of students your age and going down your path (ie recreational or commercial). You might also think about how quickly you want to learn, ie every day or weekends? Do you want to get it done quickly, or stretch it out to spread the payments. This has a bit of an impact on the instructor you get (ie some only teach weekends).

Its more likely to be the peripheral issues that determine the schools culture that cause you decide. They are all good schools.

peterc005
30th Jan 2014, 06:30
Yes, a lot depends on the individual instructor.

Don't know much about Tristar, but out of the three schools you mention MFS has the best fleet of planes (new Pipers) and a very good reputation.

MFT have an excellent track record. I've always had good experiences there and always seem to hear very good things about MFT.

Another good option is RVAC.

chchan
30th Jan 2014, 06:43
Thanks a lot for all the details Old Akro! :ok::ok:
I sent email to them and actually it seems that MFS replied more positively with more details. Plus i wanna fly piper more than grumman or Cessna haha. But anyway I can't make up my mind now, hv to call them and visit them when i get there.

But if anyone here have any experience in these schools pls leave me some advice;)

L.Chan

just a dumb pilot
30th Jan 2014, 06:58
If you intend to train at Moorabbin I suggest you contact all the listed training schools on that airfield.
As previously mentioned its your relationship with your instructor that is important.
You should also go to a school with a 150 hour CPL integrated course and as previously mentioned a modern simulator to keep your training costs under control.
A good school will suggest sitting in the aircraft on the ground getting your checks sorted a bad one will fly you around to practice checks at dual rates which is just burning money.
Good luck with your training.

nitpicker330
30th Jan 2014, 07:08
I would recommend MFS, I have friends that are doing their PPL CPL there now and they have no complaints compared to others from MB.

Andrew ( the owner ) and the gang are very good and will look after you.

:ok: