PDA

View Full Version : EK Pilots must nude up to eat and drink.

donpizmeov
30th Jan 2014, 04:27
The latest musing from Alan states that someone has seen an EK pilot/pilots eating and drinking whilst in the new uniform. This is disgraceful.

Please ensure all uniform is removed before any sipping water/coffee/tea or eating food takes place from now on. That's why EK spent all that money putting the closet in the flight deck, and giving you the ability to adjust the flightdeck temperature for your comfort.

Please use the sanitary toilet seat cover on your Flight deck seat to stop any accumulation of dags and the like. This note will be added to the uniform handbook, and the cost of the reprinting deducted from your salary.

I also see that those mythical "flight bags" Ed promised that would be ready by "October" some years ago are doing the rounds again. I am not sure if its to be uniform on or nude when dealing with them. The trial is still continuing.

The Don

Kamelchaser
30th Jan 2014, 05:15
This must surely rate as the most inane piece of stupidity to come out of the castle for quite some time.

WTF does management think pilots are? Bloody robots?

What do passengers think when they see pilots having a coffee in the terminal before boarding? "my god..the pilot is drinking coffee!!..how on earth can he possibly safely fly the plane?"

Smoking in uniform...certainly. Eating and drinking? FFS...grip it up AS.

glofish
30th Jan 2014, 05:26
Ahhh, now I know why EK is the only airline in the world not providing any kind of upright rest facility for their pilots on ULRs: It's to avoid having their resting crew being able to eat and drink.

I underestimated their intelligence again!

I am sure Captain AS wrote that cr@p on his daily excursion to the Costa around the corner. A captain not wearing uniform? Yes, but sipping a latte legally. :ugh:

kennedy
30th Jan 2014, 05:27
Obviously you haven't heard about the captain who was written a disciplinary letter after he was seen and spoken to by TCAS in Frankfurt (I believe) with his costa/Starbucks coffee take away cup.

Nothing said at the time, just a letter a few days later!:ugh:

Dropp the Pilot
30th Jan 2014, 05:42
In keeping with the tradition of never-getting-it-right-the-first-time, you should expect a modified message by the end of the business day along the lines of:

"It has been observed that not being able to eat or drink for 16 hours may compromise the efficiency of uniformed flight crew during ULR operations. After much consideration of your valued feedback it has been decided to approve the eating of meals whilst in uniform but only in toilets. Enjoy this new facility but be reminded that it is prohibited to take food into the CRC."

donpizmeov
30th Jan 2014, 05:51
Sadly I think you may be correct Drop. However you will need to rework that draft to draw attention to some OMA rule, and add some underlining veiled threat.

The Don

Kamelchaser
30th Jan 2014, 05:54
I've just read the said uniform standards phamplet, and it DOESN'T say "don't eat and drink in uniform.

It does say don't smoke, chew gum or drink alcohol in uniform. All fair enough.

It also says don't WALK around eating and drinking in uniform. Perhaps fair enough because some pilots aren't co-oridinated enough to walk and drink at the same time.

But as usual, the email is poorly written, confuses the issue, and no doubt just gets a lot of people off-side for no good reason.

Is carrying a coffee cup to the aircraft "walking around eating and drinking"?

I'm a fan of people looking professional and tidy in their uniform, but i guess now the costa coffee is going to have to go in an unmarked bag because we can't be seen to be human.

Again....I say get a grip and focus on important stuff.

Oh...and don't get me started about cabin crew briefings being conducted in front of passengers at outstations. That seems to be OK. Not at all unprofessional discussing service and emergencies in earshot of pax. (it's ok because a proper briefing room would cost money).

Discussing what to do in the event of a cabin fire is fine..just don't drink coffee at the same time. :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

rocketsauceroy
30th Jan 2014, 07:08
Further inspired instructions from behind the desk:
- When your hotel rooms are not ready and you are offered a free breakfast, go change into your crew jammies in a public toilet (as you do in the AC) as to not shame the brand and eat in the the sacred garments.
- Refrain from defecating or urinating in a public facility while in uniform, again change into your jammies beforehand. Farting is prohibited.
- Adjusting of ones genitals in uniform is forbidden, especially when walking by my desk.

Speaking of which, its time for tea and medals at the club.

Al, the pilots pal.

falconeasydriver
30th Jan 2014, 07:13
Kamel, I'm in complete agreement, and yes the pamphlet doesn't mention sitting down, easy solution...if one is that worried, sit on the floor.
Good old TCAS, true to form I would say, I'll now put my Latte' in the same duty free bag as the 3 bottles of Gin, which if you've noticed in FRA have Lufthansa plastered all over them :E

lospilotos
30th Jan 2014, 07:48
When/how was this communicated? Nothing in the inbox...

harry the cod
30th Jan 2014, 08:05
Hey hey, calm down calm down!

Stop getting your knickers in a twist. Could have been better written, granted but if you read the uniform booklet all is explained.

Buy your costa if you must, drink it in situ, seated, hats off obviously or take it to said mode of transport and drink it there, hats and ties off. Hardly rocket science and hardly worth getting worked up over.

Unfortunately, there are a growing minority out there who require these basic reminders, like those that insist on wearing their flag of nationality on the jacket, enough bracelets to adorn a gypsy bare knuckle fighter and the increasing number who don't wear a watch. When you've been flying 3 years and not one person has told you that a watch is mandatory, then some blame must be placed with the Captains too. :hmm:

Harry

BYMONEK
30th Jan 2014, 08:24
170to5

Stick to flying, avoid the humour.

What is funny and somewhat ironic is that there are indeed certain individuals who continue to have difficulty finding a simple pair of black socks, a clean ironed shirt or still insist on wearing the tie clip, non standard belts and other bizarre non standard additions.

For a grown adult professional to fail even these simple tests before embarking on flying a 350 - 550 tonne highly automated and complex piece of machinery does fill me with a certain element of concern. Yes, I know, it's got bugger all to do with how you fly the plane but, is it really that difficult to put on a uniform that's provided?

Old King Coal
30th Jan 2014, 08:53
Err, why is a watch mandatory, and does anybody wear a watch these days, and what's wrong with one supplied by Msrs Airbus & Mr Boeing ?!

Praise Jebus
30th Jan 2014, 08:53
So if I buy a coffee in the ZRH terminal then board the train to the gate can I drink it? In my frame of reference I am not moving but to AS on a platform I am moving.... Any one?... Einstein?...any one?

donpizmeov
30th Jan 2014, 09:02
But if he didn't see you drink, did you really drink it at all?

Skyjob
30th Jan 2014, 09:33
Maybe the reason for such email in first place was a crew being observed in uniform to be eating and/or drinking what they shouldn't have iaw uniform policy.

In which case the statement from management seems justified and just badly worded when communicated back to the crew.

This (badly worded or open for misconception) happens a lot when English is not first spoken language of the writer of such verbatim or (s)he hasn't completely mastered the art of nuances.

:8

harry the cod
30th Jan 2014, 10:36
OKC

Because the Company have said it's mandatory.
Yes, about 99% of EK pilots and every other airline I've worked for wear one.
Absolutely nothing.

And..............

Harry

General Dogsbody
30th Jan 2014, 11:57
And the great news of a New Landyard, but Your must "Throw Away" your old one, will that be disciplinary if we keep it??:=

Panther 88
30th Jan 2014, 12:01
All well and good, but I am concerned when we are undergoing ground training events and we have to eat at seventh heaven. How shall we comply with said "rules"? Use your imagination. Don't give him any slack on this email because it's been translated or whatever. I should hope that said gentleman with his lofty position should at least proofread any document, or email sent over his signature. I try not try and interpret these emails....I mean it did go out with his signature. So, if I see any pilot eating or drinking whilst in uniform whether it be in training, in briefing or in the cockpit, I will take appropriate action and then send an official missive to our appropriate masters. See, easy, no interpretation needed. Just do exactly what "da man" has said never to do. Look at the bright side, BMIs will begin to drop.

Peter Chube
30th Jan 2014, 12:29
How was this circulated? Also nothing in my inbox.

Edited: found it under "DL Messages" not distributed to all.

fliion
30th Jan 2014, 12:56
Ah yes the irony of the specificity of the email WRT actual lanyard warn, even if it's Emirates branded - as opposed to a broad unchecked sentence of "don't eat or drink in uniform" is not lost on the minions....but who are we.

Anyhow I get it, I know where he's going and would be happy to comply and invest in the 'brand' and the expanded 'wave system' (a la controlled rest now - every half hour on the hour Gents) IF the company would invest in me - by keeping my staff travel where it was and getting more than a 0.5% pay raise in 2 yrs...in light of billions earned...there is a correlation here.

On grooming, I have two pet peeves...the pilots who don't bother to shave (and are obviously not growing a beard - FO 'Beckham' last week having had a 'successful' night - nuff said) and use the 'religious sensitivity' of groomed beard allowed excuse..
.., and dirty shoes ...FFS shine your shoes and have a shave whydontcha..

Rant over.

f

Old King Coal
30th Jan 2014, 13:15
Harry, do you perhaps wear a Mickey Mouse watch (like I might) or do you wear one of those big blingy piloty type watches, I.e the sort that shouts of inadequacies in other departments?!... Fwiw, I never wear one and, instead, rely upon the seriously bloody expensive & GPS updated one supplied in the aeroplane and / or my network time sync'd mobile. That said, I suppose, if I worked for EK, I could comply by wearing my iPhone strapped to my wrist and / or wearing a watch (but never bother winding it up)... And therein it might well be suggested that common sense flew out of EK's window some time ago, but if only we knew what time it was?! ;)

falconeasydriver
30th Jan 2014, 13:32
OKC, common sense and EK? whatcha saying there fella? Common sense? sense, thats common? What a revolutionary thought! It'll never catch on you know, they tried that back in 41 at the worlds fair, didn't work then, won't work now.
The trouble with idiots is, they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Common sense! I can still remember a time when you had to get up to change the TV channel, happy days…Common sense! it'll never catch on you know….

scandistralian
30th Jan 2014, 13:47
Was this some kind of email for Captains only? Nothing in my inbox...

MR8
31st Jan 2014, 05:04
What is funny and somewhat ironic is that there are indeed certain individuals who continue to have difficulty finding a simple pair of black socks, a clean ironed shirt or still insist on wearing the tie clip, non standard belts and other bizarre non standard additions.

BYMONEK, you better check the rules before you start preaching… The tie clips, even though they were not handed out with the new uniform, are still approved as per the uniform manual…

lospilotos
31st Jan 2014, 05:21
BYMONEK, you better check the rules before you start preaching… The tie clips, even though they were not handed out with the new uniform, are still approved as per the uniform manual…

I beg to differ... A tie pin was not issued as part of the new uniform and as such the old one is not allowed. See "Open house" question from Sep 12th 2013.

We all like to be treated with respect and as professionals, well here´s a tip: Start looking like a pro... I doubt it came as a surprise to anyone that one has to wear a uniform coming to work as an airline pilot. It's called uniform, not "multiform" (Link for the language challanged: uni- - Wiktionary (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/uni-))

That said, do I think sipping a cup of Starbucks coming through ZRH makes us look less professional, of course not. Running through the terminal with the flight bag in one hand doing Vr behind, and a BigMac dripping in the other would though...

crewmeal
31st Jan 2014, 05:52
and other bizarre non standard additions.

Would these include various body piercings of sorts that would attract the attention of seedy security scanners around the world?

Do you guys wear clip on ties? Many moons ago BA somewhere along the line issued them because a crew member was attacked on his way to the aircraft by some irrate pax due to the late arriving aircraft. This resulted in him almost choking to death and subsequently the flight was cancelled!

lospilotos
31st Jan 2014, 06:40
Yes they are clip-on ties, but not because of concern for our well being, but because a majority of the pilots would not know how to tie a proper knot...

single chime
31st Jan 2014, 07:33
how are we suppose to "look like pros" when we are provided with low quality uniform? Why is it ok for some pilots to wear co(s)mic watches, Elvis type shades (regardless of wx or time of day), designer belts and custom made shirts? Some are more equal than others I guess...

ruserious
31st Jan 2014, 08:43
So think we need to misappropriate the Military's codes then Uniform Code of Management Justice :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ironbutt57
31st Jan 2014, 13:00
These rules are not unheard of at other carriers as well..

CDRW
31st Jan 2014, 13:21
But the "rule" of having to wear a wrist watch!!! Does EK really have that rule!! Been through a few airlines - one a legacy - and never seen or heard of that.

Evanelpus
31st Jan 2014, 15:44
Little Al is mostly a mouthpiece for his masters.

From what I've read about Al perviously, I think you should replace the word mouthpiece for ring piece and then it's sorted.

Tray Surfer
31st Jan 2014, 22:25
At BA, we HAVE to wear a watch. Both sides of the flight deck door.

It is included in the uniform wearers guide.

Not that they give us one, but we still have to wear one.

crewmeal
1st Feb 2014, 06:18
You guys think you have it bad, take a look at what might happen:

British Airways and cabin crew may clash over who wears the trousers | Business | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jan/30/british-airways-cabin-crew-trousers-union)

What a thought women wearing the trousers, heaven forfend :ugh:

TWT
1st Feb 2014, 06:52
Just put a head to toe burkha in your flight bag.Change into before eating,drinking and change out on the way to your official duties.

White Knight
2nd Feb 2014, 13:01
increasing number who don't wear a watch

I have barely worn a watch for the last 30 years mate. Nor did I wear one today for my flight! Must be a bad pilot:ugh:

But my timing was just fine btw:ok::p

PS I also wear my national flag on my lapel. And a Poppy in November..........

CDRW
2nd Feb 2014, 13:16
I can picture it - an old captain with glorious white beard and whiskers - a monocle and a pocket watch with a gold chain. What would your crowd say about that - but hang on - was there not such captains in days gone by?

MrMachfivepointfive
2nd Feb 2014, 15:15
but hang on - was there not such captains in days gone by?

Smith?
Titanic?

harry the cod
2nd Feb 2014, 17:39
WK

We all possess enough intelligence to realise what we wear has sweet FA to do with our ability to fly the plane so stop being such a knob.

As a Captain, you set the tone. You are the senior representative of the Company and as such, your behaviour and appearance can and will influence those that fly with you. Flags, poppy in November......what more do you want....a f**king medal? Grow up!

Harry

helen-damnation
2nd Feb 2014, 19:07
Obviously spoken by someone who hasn't stood in the front line!

I wear a poppy every year, and I'll be doing the same again. You shame yourself.

your behaviour and appearance can and will influence those that fly with you
Totally true. What you forget is that it's not the uniform that leads, it's the person and there are many styles. Those who insist on being called Captain are standing behind the uniform. Those who are leaders use the uniform.

Should we call you "Harry the God"? :hmm:

harry the cod
3rd Feb 2014, 05:39
Helen

You're right, I haven't stood at the front line, neither have 95% of EK pilots I'd imagine. My own Grandfather served in the Home guard during WW2. He died when a house he was evacuating in Stretford, Manchester was hit by a second bomb. My own father was 4 at the time and witnessed this with his late mum at his side. He's never forgotten it and neither have I. My father went on to serve for many years in the RN.

I wear a poppy when I can, just not on my EK uniform. UK Airlines permit them, here it"s different. I have seen guys wear them and good for them. When I heard a pilot from the US asking what one was, I realised that what's important and tradition for some may be irrelevant to others. I totally agree that the person behind the uniform is more important but uniform regulations are there for a reason. Where does it stop? A pink carnation to remember the innocent children killed in Syria, a little green Shamrock to support the IRA, especially if you're from Boston or an ANC flag maybe? We all know there are people who push boundaries when given even a modicum of leniency or discretion. Company policy removes that ambiguity.

You've taken this thread to an extreme with your post and using the emotive argument of war to justify wearing a non authorised accessory to work. It is perhaps yourself who should be ashamed.

Out of respect for the millions who've died throughout the two great wars and ongoing conflicts I will no longer continue with this discussion. Experience on these threads has taught me it's only likely to go one way.

Harry

fliion
3rd Feb 2014, 05:52
Well said Harry.

Back to the lanyards gents...

f.

helen-damnation
3rd Feb 2014, 12:18
Harry

My respects to your Grandfather and Father as to mine who were wounded in WW1 and pulled from a bombed cinema respectively.

My respect will include wearing a poppy to honour the millions including your Grandfather and my family members. I will never be ashamed of that or arguing for it and yes, it is emotive as it should be IMHO.

H-D

Back to the thread:

Strange how the company issues badges and stars to the CC, offers us (in the past) cancer badges in the briefing area etc but gets knotted up over wearing a watch! AND.. the new lanyard is garbage. Cheap mechanism and no clip on the back!