PDA

View Full Version : CTC Maths question

steggers
29th Jan 2014, 14:53
Hi all,

I am preparing for a CTC selection day and am trying to find out and prepare as much as I can for the maths test that's involved. So far, I've found out that it's 15 questions in 15 minutes ranging from long/short multiplication, long/short division, currency conversions and fuel calculations.

My question is, what specific questions are you likely to get asked, just so I know what to focus on.

If anyone has attended recently and could shed some light, I would very grateful.

kmjame
31st Jan 2014, 00:44
I am in the same position mate, as far as I am aware its Long/short Multiplication/Division. Odd conversion/word problems and a few Addition/Subtraction/Cube/Squared numbers. As far as previous forums have stated.

byrondaf
4th Feb 2014, 14:49
Just practice a bit of long division, speed/distance/time calculations and the rest of it is just basic stuff you would have learnt for GCSE. There are a couple of sites that give you practice questions that you can expect.

LastMinuteChanges
4th Feb 2014, 17:46
I'll repeat what I said before, similar to this:

"If I am at 30,000ft and wish to descend to 10,000ft at 2,500 feet per minute - how long will this take me to reach my new altitude?'

This is a generic question and not representative of what you'll find in the CTC Database, and please, do not delete my post again, thank you!

Furthermore, it's a PILAPT test - so Google around for preparation software, it does exist.

Wirbelsturm
4th Feb 2014, 17:54
Remember that 1/10th of an hour is 6 minutes and you'll generally find that the speed/times/distance calculations run in multiples of 3 minutes. I.e. The aircraft is doing 450kts how far will it fly in 24 minutes.....

So 450kts G/S is 45nm in 6 minutes, 22.5mn in 3 minutes 180nm in 24 minutes etc.

Makes the mental maths easier to calculate, at least it does in my addled old brain.