PDA

View Full Version : Exactly when do you have to consult your AME?

Queryer
29th Jan 2014, 10:12
Hi, a pretty generic query for the AMEs out there. Apologies if already answered but the Search function (understandably) doesn't much like 'when' questions.

Back in the day, when I did my HPL exam we were told essentially that we should contact our AME with pretty much any medical issue that could conceivably relate to flying, almost like they should be the first point of contact for anything.

Obviously when I talked to my AME about it he quickly confirmed that this isn't the case in reality; GPs are still 1st point and I would only contact my AME if I am going to be off work approaching the 21 days rule or if it were something really obvious/major (injury maybe).

I am now looking at needing to go on medication which will probably be prescribed long term. The underlying medical problem does not affect work in any way and the CAA website gives clear & simple guidelines about the medication concerned and how it relates to flying.

Should I be contacting my AME before my annual medical or is just adding it to the form then so it gets discussed at that point fine?

Is there a defined level at which things should be brought up with the AME before the annual renewal? Are we just expected to apply best judgement or is there guidance from the CAA? (I couldn't see any)

I am really after a generic answer though, to the thread title Qn please, mainly because few of my colleagues seem 100% sure either (or hold varying opinions!)

Thanks, Q

AngioJet
29th Jan 2014, 13:53
I'd be inclined to perhaps at least phone the AME and mention that you will be needing new long-term medication. If it is straightforward as you say, then they'll be able to reassure you that nothing further needs doing.
Better safe than sorry!

Ulster
29th Jan 2014, 14:47
I am now looking at needing to go on medication which will probably be prescribed long term. The underlying medical problem does not affect work in any way and the CAA website gives clear & simple guidelines about the medication concerned and how it relates to flying

I'd agree entirely that you should maintain contact with your AME over a period of change, even if only by chatting on the phone. As always, in these circumstances the underlying principle should be governed by common sense, rather than by written-down specifics.

On the topic of medication, however, it is worth re-emphasizing that it's a general principle of good aviation medicine practice that a pilot should be temporarily grounded for a short while when starting any new medication, or even making a significant dosage change to existing. This is to allow for the fact that some medications which produce no adverse side-effects in the vast majority of folk can have unexpected effects in a few isolated individuals. Time scales vary according to the medication involved, but for most a grounded period of seven to ten days should suffice.

Once again, a phone call to your AME is to be recommended ! :ok:

Phororhacos
29th Jan 2014, 16:05
UK rules as follows as far as I understand them.

Whilst you may wish to consult your AME on almost anything, you are obliged to consult your AME (or the CAA if a class 1 certificate holder) under the following circumstances in section (b) below.

In the case OP mentioned it is b(2)
Screen print is from a medical certificate.

http://www.andytobias.co.uk/cert.JPG

AngioJet
29th Jan 2014, 16:22
Spot on Phororhacos, there it is v clearly stated!:ok:

Queryer
8th Feb 2014, 19:50
Perfect answer, very helpful; thank you :ok:

Qr

Bob the Doc
16th Feb 2014, 10:12
It's also worth remembering the bit from the Air Law exam where it states that the licence shall be deemed to be suspended as soon as something that would cause suspension has occurred, whether or not you have discussed it with your AME. As they are the arbiter of what causes a suspension, you would always be advised to check with the AME.