PDA

View Full Version : Instructor and aircraft oxfordshire

loggie1983
29th Jan 2014, 05:33
Morning all,

Am returning to the UK the end of Feb, and am looking to finish off my PPL.

I would have completed around 40 hours but no ground exams as these I would need to sit in the UK.

I'm just trying to gauge if there are any instructors / decent schools in and around the Oxfordshire area that may be able to help.

I will have my log book, stamped and dated by my current school in Cyprus and a copy of my training log/record (quite comprehensive).

Any help my appreciated.

Regards

BEagle
29th Jan 2014, 06:36
If you are serving in the UK Armed Forces, see RAF Flying Clubs' Association (RAFFCA) - Homepage (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafflyingclubs/) .

loggie1983
29th Jan 2014, 06:43
Got me there. Already been through those pages and currently part of the Akrotiri club.

Should have said I'm looking at using a C172 as that's what I've been learning in. Believe Benson have one and Halton operate a C150/2?.

Just trying t see what else is out there. I know enstone? Seem to be quote a big club, but want to see if there are any smaller flying/teaching clubs about.

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jan 2014, 08:06
Booker Aviation at Wycombe Air Park (M40 J4, easy to get to)

Enstone as mentioned

RAF Halton Flying club - not brilliant in the winter however.

RAF Brize Norton Flying Club has a good reputation but is also a very busy operational station.

Several schools at Cranfield, mostly good, about an hour's drive away.

If you're that far down the path, I'd suggest "move into" either WAP or Cranfield for a few days with somebody like Booker or Billins - both have at-least one C172, as well as a good weathproof hard runway and just book an aeroplane and instructor to get you finished off PDQ. I've flown at and with both, and would be happy to recommend both.

Then find where you want to do your post qualification flying - which may or may not be the same place, but certainly need not be.

G

Fitter2
29th Jan 2014, 09:00
PFT at Kidlington (sorry, London Oxford International). Louise runs an efficient and friendly outfit. PA28, not C152 but personally I prefer low wing to high.

Load Gone
29th Jan 2014, 09:17
Loggie1983,

Check yr PMs.

LG

Shents
29th Jan 2014, 20:15
Loggie,

Try Turweston Flying Club (http://www.turwestonflyingclub.org.uk)

Shents

tmmorris
30th Jan 2014, 11:22
Benson has C152 or PA28, not C172. PM me if that's not what Load Gone's PM was about!

Tim

glum
30th Jan 2014, 11:47
I'm currently learning with Staverton Flying School, based out of Gloucester.

They have two 152's and at least one 172 (might be two i can't recall as I fly the 152).

Great school, aircraft in very good nick (ex RAF techie so I know what I'm looking at) and a broad spread of instructors including ladies, so one of them will match your character and learning style I'm sure.

Staverton Flying School | Explore the skies (http://stavertonflyingschool.co.uk/)

They have recently started an online booking system, so you can easily check their flying calendar, and book a lesson in a vacant slot.

£170 an hour for instruction, including one landing. Very good pre / post -flight briefings with no extra cost no matter how long things take. My usual visit takes over two hours, yet I get charged the single hourly 'flying' rate for each lesson.

Give Nessa a ring for more details - 01452 712388 :ok:

loggie1983
30th Jan 2014, 14:12
That's all great thanks, got some really good links. Must say, think I am going to miss the cheaper Cyprus rate per hour for the 172 I fly!

I need to get the ground school put away too, again. See all of these schools do ground school, anyone recommend any in particular; this is the only part that is holding me back from progressing further at the moment.

Again, thanks.