PDA

View Full Version : Removing the Doors, Opening the Windows

Atinas
28th Jan 2014, 09:18
Are there any rules for removing the doors on a helicopter as mandated by law or the civil aviation authority of a country?

Can any helicopter instead of removing the door open a window?

If you can remove the back seats and sit on the helicopter's floor, are there any rules, tips and tested, safe practices which would somehow tie you to the helicopter with harness and all other sort of stuff so that you don't fall off through the door?

vfr440
28th Jan 2014, 09:38
Yes to all your Qs!

The RFM will advise on revised VNe with any/all doors off (some limitations, not all aircraft are the same)

Despite this on, say, a J/R the wind-buffet will be considerable. You may need to construct a deflector which will fit to the door hinge points, to reduce the effect to tolerable levels. The equipment (in EASA-land) will need some form of approval.

Yes it is wise to remove ALL 'stuff' that could depart the aircraft and possibly contact T/R or stabiliser etc, and definitely yes your cameraman or whomsoever in the rear will need some form of safety harness.

Talk/pm TRC about these things he's forgotten more than many people ever learn about them! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif
Best - VFR

SilsoeSid
28th Jan 2014, 11:16
On some types, Cat A takeoff/landing and flight in IMC are prohibited with opened, half opened or removed doors.

rotornut
28th Jan 2014, 11:44
Loved flying the Hughes 300C with the doors off. No buffeting and it was much cooler on a hot day.

RVDT
28th Jan 2014, 15:40
Be careful and talk to your NAA.

If the removal of the doors requires tools you may need an "approval" or even a certifying engineer.

Anything not covered in the RFM or the minimum that is listed in the IPC may require a modification approval or even STC.

Also be aware of powering anything electric from the aircraft.

Results may vary!

SilsoeSid
28th Jan 2014, 17:00
Oh yes as previously mentioned, 'remove stuff that could depart aircraft', that includes fixtures and fittings that you think might be secure having secured them. If it can be removed, remove it!

Thinks .... Gazelle, Kenya, rear seat backrest, rear left opening, flutter flutter flutter, hope the wildlife is tame!

Blackhorse
28th Jan 2014, 22:35
Been a real long time but I seem to remember on the H-500 series there was a limitation on the aircraft that you could have both rear doors off, and single door off, or all doors off. No flying with just the front doors off. Correct me if I am wrong.

Clint Polansky

500guy
28th Jan 2014, 22:46
The limitations on the H-500s are different form the D models to the E & FF.
Your limitations are correct for the D, the E's and F's also allow both front doors removed, you still cant remove 3 of 4 doors or both left, or both right doors.

hillberg
29th Jan 2014, 00:39
No rules just manufactures limitations & what your planing to do.:ouch:

FLY 7
29th Jan 2014, 08:03
Taking the doors off teaches you to keep the ball in the middle.

tradford
29th Jan 2014, 09:58
You'd suffocate with the doors on an R22 during the summer.

ShyTorque
29th Jan 2014, 10:22
Some types need the fitting of a mod kit.

Always consult the RFM.

Peter-RB
30th Jan 2014, 11:09
I seem to remember the 206B speed restrictions :-

Aft doors off Vne 100mph (87Knts)

Fwd Doors off Vne 80Mph (69knts)

On the Robinson all you needed was a pair of pliers :eek:

But I am relying on my grey stuff !:ok:

Peter R-B
Lancashire