PDA

View Full Version : PPL to CPL (advice wanted)

cgiuliano90
28th Jan 2014, 09:16
Hi All,

Just signed up to the forums to seek some advice from any previous experienced pilots who completed their CPL part-time.
I currently have a PPL and have completed all 7 theory subjects.
I have started to work on building my solo hours with long nav's exploring NSW (departing YSCN).
I am also saving to complete my MECIR training and considering the following:
- Continue part time to build solo hours and part time complete IREX Theory and then begin MECIR training (flying only on weekends) I'm estimating this would take 3 months or so to complete.
- Or looking into completing my CPL in the US (Miami) where I could do the training at a fraction of the cost and also full-time.

Upon completion of my CPL I am weighing up becoming an instructor or looking for flying jobs, I respect and value the benefits of becoming a flight instructor, and also considering doing that offshore in the US.

I ideally would like to return to AUS for employment and or if possible land a job in the US (2nd preference).

I am really not sure on which direction to take and as each week passes, the longer it will take to finish and the smaller my bank account becomes when flying here in AUS as opposed to the US.

Any advice here.

Much appreciated
Chris

Clare Prop
29th Jan 2014, 00:39
Get your solo hours up and your CPL done.

No point doing the multi and IR until you have around 500 hours. If you go to the US then you will have to re-do much of it here.

Do a modular course where you can have one on one training rather than a "one size fits all" course.

Edited to add do you have the right to work in the US?

Aussie Bob
29th Jan 2014, 02:40
Get your solo hours up and your CPL done

Totally agree, it never ceases to amaze, the number of bunnies who think a CIR is important early on. Get CPL, get job, then CIR. Do the exam perhaps ... if all other exams are already passed.

deadcut
29th Jan 2014, 09:01
Bob.

Having a CIR is definitely not crucial. So I don't know what bunnies you been talking to.

But having a CIR when you get your first job thrashing around the top end would certainly be helpful. Especially if you do something silly, like end up in cloud in the wet season. Having a CIR could save your life.

Why not get it early on? It will certainly help with the hour situation when looking for your first job.

Two_dogs
29th Jan 2014, 12:45
G'day Chris,

Oh, the joys of being on the bottom rung of the ladder. So many choices… so little money… so many big bills… so many opinions. This is in no way a slur, when I started training I had zero hours in my logbook.

My advice would be;

Instructing is a career choice. Only do it if that is what you aspire to. We have all heard of the inexperienced trying to train the unexperienced. I have had 1500 hour instructors come and work for me that had no real experience and were not suitable for charter operations. They had the same one hour experience 1500 times. Sure, they had some cross country time, but still lacked the qualities I look for in charter pilots.

I suggest you go and complete the CPL and a SECIR concurrently in a consolidated structure with a good Australian school. This will build hours whilst achieving the basic requirement to make you employable at a cheaper cost than concentrating on each goal at a time.

You will not need a CIR in your first year of commercial operations but it may well save your life in the first year up north. This is where you are likely to grab your first job, and will surely end up in IMC whilst VFR. (Been there, done that, but didn’t get a T-Shirt, just soiled underwear) The following year is a renewal with some asymmetric stuff to upgrade to a MECIR, (short answer, obviously a bit more involved than a renewal) which your employer should fund anyway (or don’t work there)

In a couple of years you are experienced in ME, IFR, Charter operations, pax handling, commercial pressure, dodgy aircraft, cranky chief pilots etc. The world is your oyster.

My 2 cents worth, good luck with your endeavours.

Homesick-Angel
29th Jan 2014, 13:21
lacked the qualities I look for in charter pilots.

1.The ability to drink two yard arms in one minute

2. To still be able to stand and not spew after note 1.

That's about it right?

Clare Prop
30th Jan 2014, 00:57
As I understand it when Part 61 comes in there will just be an Instrument Rating, and not the Command, Multi and all the other wheel re-inventions added to the IR that are exclusive to Australia.

So I would advise to keep going with the CPL, concentrate on getting command time and wait until Part 61 comes in later this year and makes some things simpler.

Tinstaafl
30th Jan 2014, 03:31
Multi IR is not just an Oz thing. Although the US doesn't explicitly name its IR as multi or single, an IR test done in a single is.....limited to a single! Done in a multi & you get multi & single privileges.

Two_dogs
30th Jan 2014, 09:47
Homesick Angel,

I see from your previous posts you are an Instructor. Did I fire you once?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/worry.gif

Being able to consume copious amounts of amber fluid in a short space of time is indeed a great attribute, but not necessarily a good look, especially in front of the pax on a three day charter. I prefer a nice glass of Coonawarra Red... or a bottle if the pax aren't around. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/tongue.gif