PDA

View Full Version : FI SEP and TMG?

UAV689
27th Jan 2014, 15:45
Hi All - thanks for help in advance

I am a holder of a CPL, with SEP and TMG ratings, I am hopefully on the verge of passing my FI course which i completed on an SEP.

Will I be able to teach on a TMG also? I know the CAA often view these as one and the same?

How about if I wanted to teach on a microlight as well (not a weight shift one!)? How would I go about getting that added as well?

Many Thanks

UAV

Whopity
27th Jan 2014, 19:31
Will I be able to teach on a TMG also? I know the CAA often view these as one and the same? So long as you have the TMG Class rating in your licence Yes. They do not consider them the same thing, they are different Classes however; they can be mutually revalidated.
FCL.905.FI FI — Privileges and conditions
The privileges of an FI are to conduct flight instruction for the issue, revalidation or renewal of:
(a) a PPL, SPL, BPL and LAPL in the appropriate aircraft category;
(b) class and type ratings for single-pilot, single-engine aircraft, except for single-pilot high performance complex aeroplanes; class and group extensions for balloons and class extensions for sailplanes; Your biggest problem is finding a school that teaches TMG.

ifitaintboeing
27th Jan 2014, 19:37
SEP and TMG

The privileges of a EASA Flight Instructor certificate are defined in FCL.905.FI:

The privileges of an FI are to conduct flight instruction for the issue, revalidation or renewal of:

(a) a PPL, SPL, BPL and LAPL in the appropriate aircraft category;
(b) class and type ratings for single-pilot, single-engine aircraft, except for single-pilot high performance complex aeroplanes; class and group extensions for balloons and class extensions for sailplanes;...

Therefore if you hold both SEP and TMG Class Ratings, and a valid FI certificate then you will hold the privilege to instruct on both classes. You would be well advised to talk with the BGA about training on TMG and the TMG syllabus before you start exercising those privileges.

The rules are slightly different for a Class Rating Instructor certificate, and those converting from FI(SLMG).

Microlights
ANO Article 62(6) provides for you to use SEP privileges on EASA licences to fly microlights if the appropriate differences training has been completed.

ANO Article 65(5) renders the EASA FI certificate valid for use on non-EASA aircraft, including microlights.

ifitaint...

Edited to add: Typed whilst Whopity was typing his reply!

UAV689
27th Jan 2014, 20:52
Thanks both, great stuff!

squawking 7700
28th Jan 2014, 07:48
And as a CRI(SPA), if I want to exercise my CRI privileges on TMG's (and I have TMG on my licence as well as SEP) I have to demonstrate to a FIC instructor with a TMG rating, that ability - where am I going to find a FIC instructor with a TMG rating, they'll be like hen's teeth.

MrAverage
28th Jan 2014, 08:35
Most of those who are long in the tooth will have one............

MrAverage
28th Jan 2014, 08:36
Snap on the posts.

Whopity
28th Jan 2014, 09:07
I have to demonstrate to a FIC instructor with a TMG rating, that abilityNo you do not!FCL.905.CRI CRI — Privileges and conditions

(b) The privileges of a CRI are restricted to the class or type of aeroplane in which the instructor assessment of competence was taken. The privileges of the CRI shall be extended to further classes or types when the CRI has completed, within the last 12 months:
(1) 15 hours flight time as PIC on aeroplanes of the applicable class or type of aeroplane;
(2) one training flight from the right hand seat under the supervision of another CRI or FI qualified for that class or type occupying the other pilot’s seat.

ifitaintboeing
28th Jan 2014, 11:18
one training flight from the right hand seat

What if it's tandem? :}

where am I going to find a FIC instructor with a TMG rating

There are a few of us about!

ifitaint...

squawking 7700
28th Jan 2014, 11:20
Thanks Whopity, I thought I'd seen that somewhere - I know a few TMG CRI/FI, FE and CAA SLMG/FI so should be able to get that sorted.

ifitaint - if you're an FIC instructor on TMG (not 'just' an FI), where are you based?

WTF was MrAverage on about?

ifitaintboeing
28th Jan 2014, 11:27
Midlands. PM sent.

ifitaint...

Whopity
28th Jan 2014, 12:42
But it does not specify a FIC Instructor, only a FI or CRI!

ifitaintboeing
28th Jan 2014, 12:57
Whopity, correct - it was the reason for my original comment:

The rules are slightly different for a Class Rating Instructor certificate

A FI is issued without restriction on TMG/SEP class, whereas a CRI, for example, is issued on a licence as "CRI/For SEP". To amend that to include TMG will require compliance with FCL.905.CRI(b) and paying the CAA some cash to amend the restriction on your licence.

ifitaint...

MrAverage
28th Jan 2014, 15:06
squawking 7700

It was trivial. I couldn't resist the long in the tooth comment after you mentioned hen's teeth. Then I noticed that was your 112th post and so was mine, hence the snap post.

30th May 2015, 08:40
a CRI, for example, is issued on a licence as "CRI/For SEP". To amend that to include TMG will require compliance with FCL.905.CRI(b) and paying the CAA some cash to amend the restriction on your licence.
Which is gold plating to me, as I could not see anywhere in EASA legislation that such a restriction (SEP only) should be mentioned on the licence in the first place.
Single engine certainly should be mentioned, but I think the specific class of aeroplanes should not be mentioned.