PDA

View Full Version : TIGER DOWN ON BARWON HEADS BEACH

5th officer
27th Jan 2014, 05:59
Just on the news, Tiger Moth from Tiger World Torquay suffered power loss and landed on beach, no injuries and no swimmers clobbered, Looked like VH DHK that my son flew there about 15 years ago.

the_rookie
27th Jan 2014, 06:01
Was this about 1 o'clock? Thought I heard something about landing on the beach but it was pretty garbled

5th officer
27th Jan 2014, 06:03
Yes Rookie, would have been about then.

Rotor Work
27th Jan 2014, 06:13
From Sydney Morning Herald

Near miss for beachgoers as Tiger Moth makes forced landing at Barwon Heads (http://www.smh.com.au/victoria/near-miss-for-beachgoers-as-tiger-moth-makes-forced-landing-at-barwon-heads-20140127-31inp.html)

Beach goers scrambled out of the path of a biplane that made an emergency landing at Barwon Heads in what onlookers say was a "very close call".
A mechanical fault forced the Tiger Moth biplane to land on the sand at Thirteenth Beach shortly after 1.30pm on Monday.
Witnesses say as many as 50 people were on the beach on the public holiday, and many began running and panicking as the aircraft descended.
It was a near miss for Jeanne van Amerongen, 62, who was visiting from the Netherlands, and her young granddaughter Robin.
She whisked Robin away "just in time", and the plane missed them by about a metre.
Alex Keynes said others on the beach were screaming.
"It was very lucky no one was hurt because there were a lot of people standing around," Mr Keynes said.
The pilot and the sole passenger of the plane were not injured in the landing.
Mr Keynes said the engine did not appear to be running as the plane lost altitude and landed on the beach, the biplane belongs to Tiger Moth World, an adventure-flight company based at Torquay Airport.
Tiger Moth World manager Sandra Walsh said engineers would assess the problems with the aircraft before it was deemed safe to remove from the beach.
"The aeroplane is fine, and the passenger is happy," she said.
The Tiger Moth can "really glide" when it needs to land, she said.
Australian Transport Safety Bureau spokesman Michael Squires said a mechanical fault was believed to be the cause of the emergency landing.
He said authorities would gather more details of the incident before deciding if an investigation would be required.

5th officer
27th Jan 2014, 07:40
Spot on Chaza, Bruce McGarvie always said better to get your feet wet than killing a dozen Gold Coast tourists by attempting a beach landing???

Ixixly
27th Jan 2014, 07:46
Treating the iCom like an iPhone, brilliant...aaannnndddd, stolen!

VH-XXX
27th Jan 2014, 08:04
The reality is that when you are flying along a beach at 500ft AGL you don't get to find many places to land when the fan stops.

Capt Fathom
27th Jan 2014, 08:22
Close to a record!

Only 4 posts, then the speculation starts!

seneca208
27th Jan 2014, 11:13
This bloke already thought he was a god of flying with a tiger endo and a grade 3 instructor rating. Can't wait to see what a successful flwop does to his ego.

Homesick-Angel
27th Jan 2014, 11:25
I'm surprised there's not more issues down there ..

Good job on the young fella getting it down safe tho. Let him have his 5 minutes.

A lot of Luck and a some skill go a long way.

nitpicker330
27th Jan 2014, 11:26
The Tiger is down in one piece and nobody is hurt.

The jealous personal attacks on the Pilot aren't helpful.

:D

Jack Ranga
27th Jan 2014, 12:29
How do you get to make those comments after 2 posts? The 7 aliases I created after my last ban are still on probation after 4 posts :ugh:

Fantome
27th Jan 2014, 17:11
a mild sharing of critical views round topics like this should not get posters backs up or cause mods to suck teeth

if the chappy is a bit of a FIGJAM then let's not be too precious about
saying as much. Especially if he has come across as such face to face, as reported above.

he might even call in here. or be directed here, and eventually feel a little chastened.

(if there had been a death on the beach. if it could be shown that he chose the beach when he could have taken the golf course. then he'd be scratching for the best legal eagle within his price range. )

Jack Ranga
27th Jan 2014, 20:47
Now, now Fantome. Some very precious people here who've forgotten how to laugh lurk here :cool:

Fantome
27th Jan 2014, 21:55
you said it jack . it is many moons since killen and minjoy thought to register killjoy aviation. (they were two men deeply conscientiously and effectively prospering GA in Australia and beyond, but knew that opposing gravity you needed a modicum of levity.)

one day i'll post a priceless pic of goya henry flying along in his biplane 'jolly roger' with his arm raised high and pressed against his palm by the slipstream a flask of red mill rum

where have all the jokers gone . . long time passing

a p prune search of chris braund throws up some tales of one of the drollest men ever to take to OZ skies . (that is search chris braund. . not chris braund throws up)

eg . . . chris had a fairly pronounced stammer. his trademark in a sense
. scene was the wagga rsl one 5 pm . .. .. . crowded bar with chris trying to get to his pot. "j.j.j.j.ust let me th. th. through here p.p.lease. " then stretching out an arm .. . "see. n.n.no impediment in m.m.my reach"

ausflyer
27th Jan 2014, 23:30
Yo Fantome...........that got the best belly laugh in years.

Chris Braund: what a champ:D

Critical Reynolds No
28th Jan 2014, 03:50
Plane lands on beach near Barwon Heads | Geelong Advertiser (http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/plane-lands-on-beach-near-barwon-heads/story-fnjuhxh0-1226811382415)

Only worth it for reader comment number 1.

poonpossum
28th Jan 2014, 04:22
They are so lucky to not have killed anyone yet, ***** ***** is a loose cannon of a ***** *****

I would put good money on the 'cause' of the engine failure being fuel starvation when they routinely run on minimums and have admitted that more than once has one of their skydive planes been deadsticked back onto the field.

Also... Picture this:

Short field landing demo. Not his aircraft.

"Breaks are for emergencies only. Hold on the back pressure."

*tail strike on rollout*

"Don't worry about it, it's only grass."

Edited: no names please

currawong
28th Jan 2014, 07:24
"Breaks" (?)

You mean like "smoko"?

:E

Homesick-Angel
28th Jan 2014, 08:59
I've heard a million stories about said CP, and I wouldn't send my worst enemy to work for him...

Likes kids greener than Kermie..

JumpDog
28th Jan 2014, 09:33
And even if he was at 500' and could make it anywhere else, why would you ever go for a golf course with a 300m fairway with trees either side when you can land on a 2000m beach.
It just makes sense.

Aerozepplin
28th Jan 2014, 21:35
I'd rather take my chances with a 300m fairway than kill a kid landing on a beach.

We don't really know if landing on this particular beach was a good idea, whether the lack or third party injuries was luck or good judgement. I do know that people are very very bad at judging distance in relation to planes in regards to the "1m from my baby!" try comments in the news.

I was talking to a student on the weekend about a beach forced landing scenario on a summers day. I pointed out to him that when he's PIC it's his job to keep his passengers safe, but it's also his job not to put people on the ground at risk while he keeps his passenger's safe.

Not that I've ever been faced with such a situation, so can't judge. (although if someone's got a big opinion of them self, by all means bring them down IMHO! Better the humility be hammered in now than when they're 30 seconds from hitting a mountain)

VH-XXX
28th Jan 2014, 22:25
I was there over Christmas and spotted their AgCat going back and forth, hugging the beach line, rocking the wings back and forth to make the phone number more visible. If it was literally 50 metres closer to the town it would need to be at 1,000 due to it being a built up area.

This incident aside, what is the general consensus on what is acceptable for navigating along a beach? eg along Brighton Beach near Moorabbin, would you think that 500ft directly over the sand would be appropriate, or 1,000ft because along Brighton Beach for example, literally if you moved 20 metres to the east, you would clearly be over a built-up area, thus enacting 1,000ft?

Wally Mk2
28th Jan 2014, 22:33
The regs are fine they are there 'cause most need to be directed as to what to do but few would use common sense at times. You are flying along at say 80 kts just off the seaward side of a crowded beach in summer in yr SE plane at 500ft with extensive built up area's along the coast-land. Is that a smart thing to do?
What options do you have if the fan went quiet?Only one, in the water & a fair way out to sea also as you run the risk of clobbering swimmers closer in, not very appealing is it? I believe you should fly at a height that will allow you to glide clear of any people/obstacles given the immediate area yr in. Regs/rules are fine but that old adage common sense seems to be left behind at the hanger sometimes!
Commercial operations exempted as there are commercial pressures on the pilots as we have seen here.

Wmk2

Aussie Bob
29th Jan 2014, 02:51
This incident aside, what is the general consensus on what is acceptable for navigating along a beach?

I like burning up a beach at 10 feet dodging seagulls. Trouble is you need an empty beach.

The regs are fine they are there
NO THEY ARE NOT! They are impossible to read pieces of crap written by bureaucratic idiots.

500N
29th Jan 2014, 03:29
"I like burning up a beach at 10 feet dodging seagulls. Trouble is you need an empty beach."

80 Mile beach, Western Australia.

VH-XXX
29th Jan 2014, 03:47
In Vic, 90 mile beach in Gippsland.

Must keep below the sand dunes during the week when the RAAF are active though.

Old Fella
29th Jan 2014, 04:05
If you are being truthful, which I trust you are not, you are very foolish as well
as being illegal. You will probably be literally "burning up the beach" one day if
you really do indulge in such flying.

onetrack
29th Jan 2014, 04:15
Old Fella, I think you'll find Aussie Bob was indulging in some good ole Aussie sarcasm. :)

I guess this mob being discussed will be now be looking to fit a megaphone to a wing spar, so they can advise those lazing beachgoers to get a move on, and off their temporary runway, when the next regular engine-out mayday is called?

He did call in a mayday, didn't he? Or was that only to the beachgoers that could hear him above the sound of the waves?? :E

Of course the megaphone mount will have to meet with full CASA approval. Can't have anything dodgy fluttering around the beachgoers heads, can we? :E

dubbleyew eight
29th Jan 2014, 05:43
I'd rather take my chances with a 300m fairway than kill a kid landing on a beach.

I used to think that myself. one day my brothers visited and decided on a game on the very course I always had in mind as a forced landing area.

thanks to greg norman and his ilk now golf courses are anything but flat.
in my entire walk around 18 holes (picking up lost golf balls) I found one single area about 25 yards long that was flat enough to land.
the rest of it has undulations to kill you.

the trap is of course that from the air none of the undulations are visible at all.

Jack Ranga
29th Jan 2014, 05:56
Bob, your sarcasm will not be tolerated, I'll be reporting your post as offensive. This is a serious forum populated by serious aviation professionals :=

Aussie Bob
29th Jan 2014, 08:32
So sorry Jack, but unfortunately somewhere back down the road I lost my political correctness. If you or anyone else finds it, please feel free to keep it.

And I will add to this, whoever this kid is, :ok: :ok: :ok: on a job well done (assuming it wasn't your stupidity that made the noise stop in the first place).

Ex FSO GRIFFO
29th Jan 2014, 09:59
Back inya box...Jack!!!

:D

Jack Ranga
29th Jan 2014, 10:03
Sorry Griff :cool:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
29th Jan 2014, 10:07
3 Area QNH's, and 10 Hail Marys......

:p

Two_dogs
29th Jan 2014, 11:45
Aussie Bob,

unfortunately somewhere back down the road I lost my political correctness. If you or anyone else finds it, please feel free to keep it.

Absolutely love that and will plagiarise and quote it from here on in...
DILLIGAF

Jack Ranga
29th Jan 2014, 12:27
I'll do the Hail Mary's (still remember the words) no way am I doing the QNH's & no cups of tea :=

Fantome
29th Jan 2014, 16:44
"unfortunately somewhere back down the road I lost my political correctness. If you or anyone else finds it, please feel free to keep it. "

Lost? You cannot lose what you never had, dad.

Just like the thin fine line between charisma and bull**** , the line between PCness and Rodney Rude can be hard to draw in the sand
with any precision

tho' thousands may disagree

certain arbiters of taste will tell you what is acceptable and what is not

they can be very holier than thou

if you tell it how it is you might get smacked in the face sometimes, but you will be true to your lights

Aussie Bob
29th Jan 2014, 19:09
Struth Fantome, you bin hangin around Byron with that yankee politician and all them hippies for way too long ...

Fantome
29th Jan 2014, 19:40
now hear this young man (a 9 year old ATPL????)

you got one thread closed because you could not stomach a few corny Taswegian jokes . .. .. let the children play in the sunshine for a while

if you don't mind

you have been interpreting the p prune rules too rigorously

especially if you yourself are guilty of telling porkies or being a pretender

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"For I remember stopping by the way
To watch a Potter thumping his wet Clay :
And with its all-obliterated Tongue
It murmur'd - 'Gently, Brother, gently, pray!'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bobby boy . . . I know of whom you speak

do i listen ? YEP . . if only because the man has an angle on everything

a scientist with an enquiring mind and (, tho' some say a dinosaur) an aviator of great experience
still flying everyday . .. . . and practising his 'strine' (to no avail)

Aerozepplin
29th Jan 2014, 20:34
the trap is of course that from the air none of the undulations are visible at all.

Interesting. I've taken to walking around some of the possible forced landing sites in the urban areas I operate over. River banks and such. Sometimes a surprise how the good spots from the air don't look so good on the ground. Maybe I need to take up golf too.

On weekends I'm thinking about only flying early in the day when the cricket games are just starting and there aren't too many fielders in the outfield. Another downside of the 20/20 mentality, smaller slip cordons.

Fantome
29th Jan 2014, 20:55
"oh " she purred . .. . . "when you talk cricket I go .. . I go .... I go .. . .."

(think Jamie Lee Curtis in a Fish Called Wanda when Cleese talks all that mock Russian.)

50 50
30th Jan 2014, 08:16
Good God, a thread where unadulterated sarcasm and open mockery have been embraced? Where have all the wowsers gone?
Can a moderator please clean up this humorous and thoroughly enjoyable thread and dilute it down to the usual dusty dry arguments about who has offended whom!
Any more of this hilarity and I'm afraid I'll have to take my bat and my ball and go home.
Bugger your thoughts on said incident, who else can we make fun of? This is awesome!