PDA

View Full Version : Zambian Flying Doctors

muchacho
14th May 2002, 18:28
Any contact information on these guys? or any other volunteer operations in Africa? I like to go there and fly for them. Have BN2 , C208 and C404 experiences.

GUSTO
17th May 2002, 15:14
Hola Muchacho ,

Zambian Flying Doctor is not a volunteer operation and the pilots get a salary . The are currently based in Ndola and have 2 old Islanders operating . One of the plane has been leased for years by a charter company in LUSAKA (Proflight Air Service ) and it helped them a lot has the were/are not getting a lot of found from the government.

Zambian Flying Doctor was supposed to get two brand new C208B paid by US Aid , but the deposit never reach Cesnna finance , and for sure made the directors richer , quite usual in AFRICA !

Also Zambian Flying Doctor employs Zambian national only !

Good luck ,

GUSTO

NdekePilot
17th May 2002, 16:46
Muchacho,
You wouldn't get a job with Zambian Flying Doctor as they only employ local Zambians....fair enough I guess but do these people ever practise what they preach...
Thing is, this may work well in favour of your continued existence shall we say. Those Islanders are well past their sell by date...! I am now flying in the UK and have met a captain in our company who flew them new in the early 70s. The one that Proflight leased was considerably done up at their expense to make it fit for human inhabitation!
Why don't you try the likes of Medecins Sans Frontieres or better still Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF)? They can, and better still do, maintain their aircraft.
Cheers,
NP.:cool: