PDA

View Full Version : Abu Dhabi opens USA pre-clearance facility

migair54
26th Jan 2014, 08:32
Abu Dhabi airport opens the first ever pre-clearance facility for US custom and inmigration in the area, so pax flying from or via AUH to the US will artive as domesyic traffic.

85% of the cost will be covered by Abu Dhabi govertment.

I think this is going to be really good for EY to attract more traffic to the USA. Right now the only airline to benefit from this is EY because no US airline flies to AUH. EY right now code shares with Jetblue and American Airlines.

Do you think we will see this kind of facility in DXB or DOH in the future? Volume of pax is much bigger, number of destinations and even some US based airlines can enjoy the advantage of having this facility.

Not everybody is happy about this:
First flight from Abu Dhabi Pre-clearance facility marks sad day for U.S. airline industry - MarketWatch (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/first-flight-from-abu-dhabi-pre-clearance-facility-marks-sad-day-for-us-airline-industry-2014-01-24?reflink=MW_news_stmp)

crewmeal
26th Jan 2014, 11:33
Good luck to them particularly flying non stop to LA or even JFK where immigration is a nightmare. My guess is others will follow in time once finance and facilities have been sorted. It certainly works well at SNN.

Maybe this is the way forward for future immigration at airports especially Australia to USA, although not sure about the UK. Not sure about medical or tech diversions how that works.

pilotday
26th Jan 2014, 15:44
Now that Emirates profit share and staff travel are now a thing of the past, they could use the staff travel room as an American pre-clearance facility in DXB

Gulfstreamaviator
27th Jan 2014, 08:32
I prefer to think that this could be the start of a great improvement.

no immigration in MIA or JFK..... bring it on for as many EU/ME countries as possible.

85% paid for by EY, if all 100% paid by overseas operators, what would be SWA's problem...

glf

migair54
27th Jan 2014, 17:52
I think isva step in the right direction, it will help to release some pressure from existing crowded places and its almost for free.
I'm almost sure that DOH will try to add domething like this in the future, then artiving ORD, JFK, MIA as a local pax will allow connexions to be faster and smoother.