PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations on the New Chinook rocket pod fit.

NutLoose
25th Jan 2014, 21:42
Last seen in Vietnam, but now fitted to the RAF Chinook in the new RAF sponsored by advert involving the young lady working under her car.. Still they appear to have fixed the retractable gear from the last attempt :D
This appears to be the fit
Boeing-Vertol ACH-47 "Armed/Armoured Chinook" helicopter - development history, photos, technical data (http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/bvertol_armoredchinook.php)

I would have posted a link to it, but alas the RAF website appears to have lost the link.. See

RAF - Miscellaneous Downloads/Links (http://www.raf.mod.uk/downloads/miscellaneousdownloads.cfm)

But never mind in thought I would instead read a book, to find the CAS appears to have stopped reading in 2010 as that is when his " Annual" top ten was last published.

RAF - CAS Top 10 Reading List (http://www.raf.mod.uk/downloads/castop10.cfm)

The Chief of the Air Staff's (CAS) Top 10 Reading List is an annual list of the Top 10 books endorsed by CAS to supplement his original ‘Reading List’, which can be used to develop a Service person’s knowledge and appreciation of Air Power, Leadership and the Challenges we face in today’s and tomorrow’s Service.

Well perhaps that should read historical :O

Fox3WheresMyBanana
25th Jan 2014, 22:11
Why would you need to publish a list after 2010?
I mean, apart from Libya, scrapping the Harrier and Nimrod, withdrawal from the 'Stan, Chinese stealth jets, delays to carriers and aircraft, aircrew and technician shortages, (contd p94),
what's changed in UK Air Power? ;)

Archimedes
25th Jan 2014, 22:32
CAS's reading list is still going - the list was moved over to the Air Power Studies website but for reasons I won't go into (I'm not keen on finding a good libel barrister), the transition was fouled up by a series of unfortunate events which meant that the later site hasn't developed as well or as quickly as it should've.

CAS Reading List (http://www.airpowerstudies.co.uk/id5.html)

The cunning plan was (and AIUI, still is) that the whole set of lists will transition to the above site, but since the manning available to do this in the last 12 months stood at zero, the loading of the previous years hasn't been done yet. The 2013 list has been published, but went out as hard copy first, to be uploaded in due course. I did think that the main RAF site was meant to have been asked to put a link to the more recent ones on that page, but evidently not.

TBM-Legend
25th Jan 2014, 23:17
becoming like Australia...

headlines for any new equipment now is the "humanitarian role...."

LPD/C-17/C-27/CH-47/MRH90 etc etc...

SASless
25th Jan 2014, 23:52
the transition was fouled up by a series of unfortunate events which meant that the later site hasn't developed as well or as quickly as it should've.

Situation normal.....FUBAR!:D

Archimedes
26th Jan 2014, 00:01
FUBAR seems a somewhat weak description for some of what went on, believe me...

Fareastdriver
26th Jan 2014, 10:33
CAS Reading List

Is there an exam on it?

TheWizard
26th Jan 2014, 13:12
Nutty
For someone who seems to spend a lot of time finding things wrong on that website, you must spend a fair amount of time visiting and reading it!

As you seem to have a lot of time on your hands what about compiling a list of all your observations (with corrections) and send them to Media & Comms at Air Cmd? It might save Manning having to try and post someone in to do the job.

Just a thought.... :)

NutLoose
26th Jan 2014, 15:11
Wizard, I saw the advert on TV last night, thought I would look on the website for it after doing a search and found the dead link, thinking it might be a one off due to the site being partially down I clicked on the CAS list to check.. Hence I noted that.

I shouldn't need to check anything, the RAF or there Public Relations / webmaster should keep on top of these things.

The RAF Website is the publics face of the RAF on the world wide web, and as such shouldn't be full of flaws and errors, they were just two links I clicked on, and both were either dead or factually incorrect.
What sort of Public impression does that set?

As for the advert, do the RAF actually vet their advertising, they used too. I might be over critical, but in both of the Chinook adverts they have produced, they have been flawed, something that should have been picked up and rectified before release. The MOD must be spending a fortune on advertising so one should at least expect it to be accurate.
As a taxpayer, is that to much to expect?

After your comment I just checked the page again, the sign up for fitness tests link is also dead.

TheWizard
26th Jan 2014, 16:00
Fair comments but would it surprise you to know that there is no dedicated 'RAF Webmaster'?

It is incredibly difficult to monitor approx 2500 pages on a CMS that is being 'adjusted' by individuals who have their own log in (ie Station personnel)

To know there is an 'error' or 'typo' requires that information to be reported to the correct department, hence my suggestion.

Unfortunately, much to the astonishment of some, not everyone reads this forum!!

I am sure those points you have raised will be corrected asap though :ok:

NutLoose
26th Jan 2014, 16:27
Well the website must come under someone's remit, otherwise it would never be updated, written or corrected.. Considering it is the RAF's Worldwide face, I am stunned no one appears to be running it.

Evalu8ter
26th Jan 2014, 18:09
Simples, make it a 'high tariff' secondary duty for one of the thrusting 'be-er' Sqn Ldrs at AIR;you know, as important to raining death as organising the Summer Ball or something....I'm sure they will happily eat their own young and merrily stab each other in the back for the opportunity....:E

TheWizard
26th Jan 2014, 18:48
You would think......