PDA

View Full Version : Pilot incapacitation and partner training

Tonym3
25th Jan 2014, 07:14
Pilot incapacitation makes it into the news twice in one week.

Pilot blacks out on approach to NSW airport prompting air emergency - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-25/air-emergency-as-pilot-blacks-out-on-approach-to-forbes-airport/5218982)

Prompts me to ask the question.

How many of you who fly regularly with a better half think he or she could get it on the ground without you and how many have arranged some kind of training for him or her?

For me... No and no. She loves to fly (and be a pillion on the bike) but has absolutely no interest in learning to do either.

Capt Fathom
25th Jan 2014, 08:47
It is something I have thought about as my years advance.
Do I get my partner some basic flying lessons, or just hire a Cirrus, and show her how to pop the chute!

Diffracted
25th Jan 2014, 09:02
I first saw this just now on http://m.smh.com.au/nsw/passenger-takes-control-of-plane-after-pilot-blacks-out-20140125-31fhd.html.
It's good that everything came good in the end, but I feel I need to question the quality of journalism these days (how exactly does a C150 dump fuel without leaking? :confused:)

onetrack
25th Jan 2014, 10:39
Tonym3 - Fake a collapse at the controls, and see how she responds! It could change her ideas! :E

Tonym3
25th Jan 2014, 10:48
and her partner. :)

Fantome
25th Jan 2014, 17:21
. . . . . not to mention a pair of heavily soiled knickers.

then again . . .. . .

TRICKSTER PILOT RENDERED UNCONSCIOUS BY FURIOUS WIFE

Tonym3
25th Jan 2014, 19:43
....AFTER SHE DUMPS IN A CESSNA 150.

Maybe the journo just misheard what she said about the fuel.

scrufflefish
25th Jan 2014, 20:56
Passenger takes control of plane after pilot blacks out (http://www.theage.com.au/nsw/passenger-takes-control-of-plane-after-pilot-blacks-out-20140125-31fhd.html)

This link has a photo of a 150, labelled as a 172. The text says the a/c was a 150, but that "the passengers" raised the alarm. :ugh:
So I guess the photo shows a 172 that has been "cut and shut" by a hot rod enthusiast, while the one in the incident was the the stretched version of the 150 with room for two pax?
Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!!

The Old Bold Pilot
25th Jan 2014, 21:04
It was a PA28. By the time the journos got there it had been put in the hangar. As usual, they didn't have all the details so just made them up.

busconductor
25th Jan 2014, 21:22
I heard it all on 126.7. Confusion over type of a/c was because the call sign BXB was being used where the a/c was actually PXB. Young sounding lad called Troy was handling after the incapacitation and did a great job. Full marks to to the pilot of CPU, the local glider tug a/c??, who did a great job chatting to Troy and reassuring him. And a cool lady in Melbourne Centre. Well done to all concerned, and massive relief at the safe ending.

Seagull V
26th Jan 2014, 21:45
In the late 70s our local aero club ran a series of courses for frequent passengers based on the US AOPA Pinch Hitter course. While the background was What If , the emphasis was on making flying more enjoyable for non pilot partners by giving them a better understanding of what was happening in flight and giving them enough skills to participate in the flight.

The course consisted of a one day series of briefings, including lunch to make it more sociable, and about three hours flying from the pax seat. If the family owned an aircraft the flying lessons were done in that aircraft.

Course covered Aircraft control, communication and navigation. Everything was reduced to an absolute simplest terms and ways of doing. e.g. navigation = Follow something e.g. Road, Rail River etc.

Most attendees were wives of pilots and most got to the approach and landing lesson, some even went on to learn to fly. One bloke, who flew a lot as a pax in a C337 and was worried that his pilot would have a hearty, was actually making survivable landings after 5 hours. Turned out that the pilot outlived the pax by more than 20 years.

Mail-man
26th Jan 2014, 22:50
Old bold, the footage on ninemsn clearly shows a pa-28. The day I see accurate aviation reporting (sandilands excluded) I'll eat my own face

The Old Bold Pilot
27th Jan 2014, 05:20
Yeah, they've been back in the following days and done some more on the story.