PDA

View Full Version : FI(A) Revalidation - CFS?

Banana Boy
24th Jan 2014, 20:15
I have almost reached the 3 year anniversary of gaining my FI(A) qual, so it is time to revalidate. I hold a current QFI category on the Tutor and was hoping that I would be able to produce my CFS standardisation report as evidence of competency to instruct, as was the case in LASORS. Alas, on reading CAP 804, Part O (military credits), I see no evidence that a CFS check ride is acceptable to enable me to revalidate my FI(A). Am I missing something, or will I need to fly with an FI(E) at an ATO? Alternatively, does anybody know if we have any current FI(E)s who just happen to be in a position to fly with me in a Tutor without too much pain?

BBK
24th Jan 2014, 23:06
BB

Are you talking about a CAA FI rating renewal? I believe that in order to renew you also have to attend a seminar and/or have a minimum number of hours instructing. I recall it's two of the three you have to complete.

rgds

BBK

Ps my rating has long since lapsed hence my caveat.

PPS BEagle seems pretty up to date with mil/civvy conversions. I'm sure he'll pick up on this thread.

Speed Twelve
25th Jan 2014, 00:23
I renewed my FI(A) a couple of years ago by submitting the details of a CFS trap on the Tutor in lieu of a 'civvy' flight test. I think the trip with CFS had to be within 3 months of the renewal application; exam wing just happened to visit at a convenient time!

Tay Cough
25th Jan 2014, 08:35
Contact OnTrack Aviation at Wellesbourne. They should be able to give you chapter and verse.:ok:

5 Forward 6 Back
25th Jan 2014, 09:03
Can someone explain to me if there's any accreditation towards the award of an FI(A) rating for military QFIs now?

I remember from LASORS, A2 QFIs could be accredited as CRIs or FI(A)s if they'd completed ATPL theory. I've ploughed through CAP804 a couple of times and it doesn't seem as clear now.

Seemed to imply the requirement for ATPL theory had gone, so an A2 could jump straight in to an assessment as an FI(A), but I fully expect to have misunderstood...!

BEagle
25th Jan 2014, 09:18
Unfortunately 22Gp completely destroyed the previous military accreditation system, so you get the square root of sod all these days.... For example, ATPL exam credits have now gone...:ugh:

See CAP 804 Part I Section O para 3.9. And weep :{

But why did the RAF let 22Gp ruin what was previously an excellent, proportionate system of accreditation?

Arty Fufkin
25th Jan 2014, 12:07
Probably because they couldn't see the logic in making life easy for people to PVR and go to the airlines.
As a result, a lot if people work to get their ATPLs in their back pocket at the end of their first tours rather than wait to be given them during their third.

Banana Boy
25th Jan 2014, 19:06
Thanks for all the helpful replies, chaps.

I think BEagle has confirmed what I feared; post-LASORS, my RAF Tutor QFI status and CFS standardisation does not count for anything.

Yes, I get the 50 hrs instruction in 3 yrs without problem, but I think that I will have to find an FI(E) to ratify me as fit to instruct. The addition of a seminar to complete can only be used every OTHER revalidation. For this first revalidation I think I do need to actually fly with an FI(E).

Now, what I need is a sacrificial Tutor QFI who wants to be an FI(E) and he can then fly with me!

Anyone?

Whopity
26th Jan 2014, 21:41
For this first revalidation I think I do need to actually fly with an FI(E).Not under EASA, only every alternate revalidation, so you have a choice of A of C or Seminar.

Banana Boy
27th Jan 2014, 19:53
Thanks Whopity,

I think I might just get way with it then! A seminar this time, and then perhaps by the time 3 years have elapsed, we might have got some military credits in place to permit a CFS standards check to count.

BB