PDA

View Full Version : High-intensity strobe lights

Timothy Quinn
24th Jan 2014, 16:35
Most likely not the proper place to post this request but here goes,I need to get a strobe soon to enable line of sight testing across a large urban area but am having difficulty in locating same.Anyone here with pointers please?

gooddaysir
24th Jan 2014, 16:42
it cant be that difficult because someone in my block at university had a huge one and put it in his kitchen. lit up the entire world for a split second. its amazing I didn't develop epilepsy

edit: try ebay

JanetFlight
25th Jan 2014, 04:00
Ask RAF about what have they done with the old famous ones incorporated in their nostalgic NIMRODS....afaik and iirc they used to be in the Guinness Book of Records.. :O

PS: Weren't properly strobes but for sure could fit the role of yours ;)

srobarts
25th Jan 2014, 07:37
You don't say what distance you wan to cover. This one claims three miles.
Grabber Waterproof Personal Emergency Xenon Strobe (http://evaq8.co.uk/Emergency-Flashing-Strobe-Light.html)

awblain
25th Jan 2014, 11:50
It's going to be hard to measure the intensity of this trans-city strobe.

Wouldn't it be much more efficient with a laser directed at your receiver? You could also potentially tune that to match different pollutants of interest.

Daysleeper
25th Jan 2014, 12:30
Have you figured out how powerful it needs to be and, critically, what the contrast from the background will be?

Only once you've done that will you know what size you need buy or borrow.

Timothy Quinn
25th Jan 2014, 16:36
And the winner is Srobarts!The product appears to be exactly what I need.and very cheap too.
Thanks everybody for the replies.