PDA

View Full Version : How reliable are G4,G400,G5 that are 10+ years old?

flaphandlemover
20th Jan 2014, 23:50
I wonder how reliable are 10+ years old Gulfstreams G4,G400,G5,G500?

Can anybody share some experience and light on that? I understand it all depends on the hours and landings.

Are they prawn to technical difficulties or are they quite solid in their dispatch reliability?

What about the operating costs?

Thx for Info.

mutt
21st Jan 2014, 04:09
Depends on how you maintain them, but GAC give statistics at 96% dispatch reliability and 84% availability. Good thing with older aircraft is that if something doesn't work you can just turn it off and dispatch under MEL, no CTRL/ALT/DEL required :)

RAWLAW
21st Jan 2014, 12:10
I can only say that I would have an independent advisor review the logbooks, service bulletin compliance and forecast maintenance items. Anyone who is selling an aircraft has but one thing in their minds, most amount of money possible and for the most part planes are sold so the owner does not spend a large bundle on a scheduled maintenance action. If a serious issue is found during an inspection I believe it would require correction before the aircraft is released but I would watch for that. Any price can be negotiated but you need to know what the liability is to you if you purchase. Extensive downtime can be expected also with certain programmed maintenance activities. Good example of cost, our 11 year old G550 now needs brakes at 1900 landings. Cost 80K each (times 4).

Tony Mabelis
21st Jan 2014, 12:13
I've maintained GIV, IVSP, 450, GV, 550 all were very reliable.
The GV was sold after 10 years/ 7500 hrs, 3500 landings and was AOG once in that time.
Gulfstream spares and back up is first rate, I could always get a spare part delivered in Europe in 24 hours.

Gulfstreams are not cheap to purchase or operate, if you are worried about $$$'s then its probably not for you.

Having said that, if you are looking for a reliable, versatile business aircraft, then Gulfstreams are the cream of the crop.
Tony

flaphandlemover
21st Jan 2014, 13:04
Thanks for info's.... underlines my thoughts....

lifeafteraviation
21st Jan 2014, 20:55
What Tony said....Gulfstreams are top of the line aircraft and often an older Gulfstream is a better airplane than a newer something else...

That said...Operating cost is usually more important than acquisition cost. Especially since there are so many incentives to buy new aircraft. Consider warranty, training costs, sales support, etc.

The biggest problem with new aircraft is they are difficult to get. Back orders, delays. Often people order new Gulfstreams just to flip them on delivery for a nice profit.

A late model second hand aircraft may be the best option.

I.R.PIRATE
21st Jan 2014, 21:02
Operating a 4 now for 3 years and over 1000 hours.

100% dispatch reliability for our machine, with fleet figures in the 98.something range IIRC.