PDA

View Full Version : Alteon

Density
20th Jan 2014, 08:18
I'm due to start the 737 course at Alteon in Brisbane. Can anyone shed any light on what the course is like including the instructors? PM if you prefer. Also wondering if anyone knows of accommodation close to site.

Thanks

Hugh Jarse
20th Jan 2014, 08:59
It hasn't been called Alteon for quite some time. I did my conversion at Boeing Flight Training Brisbane about 2 years ago.

If you're used to a well structured ground school, you won't find it here. BFT isn't a shadow on the Qantas group-style of ground training. With that in mind, if you can get the CBT, do it at least once beforehand.

However, it's the sim instructors that put in the work and make the course worthwhile. The two blokes I had dealings with were both experienced on type, and quite knowledgeable.

Bob Cox was my main instructor, and very good IMO. Ed Field did my check, and once again - pretty good. Both realistic in their expectations of the trainee.

But, as for all courses- you get out of it what you put in, so do the work. It wasn't a walk in the park for an old coot like me....

Remember the 6 P's.

Good luck with your course.

HappyBandit
20th Jan 2014, 09:52
Yep I concur with what Hugh says about the structure...certainly not the best in terms of well structured.

As for the instructors, I haven't had either of the ones that Hugh mentioned so can't comment. I'll PM you about the rest.

As with Hugh, you get out of it what you put in. It's not an easy course and I think alot of it is down to your own dedication, the instruction you are given and also the structure of the course. It is a little scattery in terms of some CBT then some fixed base etc.

nitpicker330
20th Jan 2014, 10:23
Ed field is retired CX and Aussie domestic before that. One of the best gentleman you'd ever meet in Aviation. Big into Warbirds as well. You'd be very lucky to meet him.

Capt Claret
20th Jan 2014, 11:22
I had Inness McGinty for part of my training there, and concur with Hugh's assessment of Ed Field. Jim Kedwell was a good bloke too and knew the DC9 like the back of his hand.