PDA

View Full Version : Free pilot training (EU citizens also) in Sweden

Tango123
20th Jan 2014, 08:13
20 statligt finansierade helikopterutbildningsplatser till Svensk Pilotutbildning (http://www.svenskpilotutbildning.se/nyheter-sv/yrkeshogskola-helikopter)

Swedish Pilot training has been awarded 20 government-funded training for helicopter pilots. The two-year polytechnic education (UAS) will start in autumn 2014. It will annually train 20 helicopter pilots. This will be the largest single civil helicopter pilot training ever.

- The fact that the state is now going in and financing 20 training places every year with us, of course, extremely gratifying and an acknowledgment of the social benefits of these programs, says Roland Winsell, verksamhetsansvrig on Swedish Pilot training.

Swedish Pilot training was founded in 1989 and has extensive experience and expertise when it comes to train commercial pilots in both helicopter and aircraft sector. In a government study has concluded that the need for helicopter pilots is growing and that a national basic helicopter pilot training should take place. The training shall meet the future needs of helicopter pilots in areas such as search and rescue, ambulance, armed forces and police.

The demand for helicopter training in Sweden is currently a national concern and the need for highly trained helicopter pilots are expected to increase in the future.
Swedish Pilot Training basic helicopter training coordinates the pilot training in private and national civic service. Knowledge sharing and collaboration between public and private operators provide a generalized competence and contributes to the development of education, thereby raising the level of skills in the fully trained helicopter pilots.
In the public sector it is mainly the Maritime Administration who will be involved but there is also the ambition of ambulance aircraft and defense, who have shown interest, shall be involved and important players. The program also includes activities related to the workplace in the form of Learning at Work (LIA) at designated businesses or public agencies.
The new state-funded education is a strong complement to Swedish Pilot Training existing pilot training for airplanes and helicopters, where the company is already one of the leading flight schools. Swedish Pilot Training existing programs will continue to be eligible for study by CSN.
For more information on training layup and the admission process will be available on our website shortly.

1. What rating required to become a pilot? Admission requirements for becoming a pilot are:
• You must have completed high school and have a passing grade.
• You must be 18 years or older.
• You must have grades in Physics 1a, 2b, Mathematics and English 6.
• You must have a medical certificate class 1 (for pilots). (You can apply for this after you have been admitted to Swedish Pilot training).

Learn more about SPU admissions requirements

2nd I do not have Physics 1a, 2b Mathematics or English 6?
You can apply for Swedish Pilot training even if you do not have these substances and may also be approved to school without them. But before the course begins, you must have completed the ratings you lack. This is easily done by, for example, adult education. One can not be credited with physics through grades in natural science subject, but you need just Physics A (Physics 1a).

3rd Can I read mathematics or physics while studying at SPU?
No, you must have exams completed before classes begin.

4th I wear glasses, I can become a pilot?
Before you begin your pilot training, you will make a great medical evaluation by a medical examiner, called the Medical Class 1.
There, an ophthalmologist examine your eyes. Generally speaking, if you have vision problems that can be corrected with glasses or contact lenses, it is no problem to become a pilot, although the correction should not be too large. What often tends to be the problem is color blindness.

5th Is there an age limit to become a pilot?
You must be 18 years old and graduated from high school with approved diploma.

6. Is there a weight or length requirements to begin at SPU?
We fly Diamond 40, DA40 and the Robinson R22 to begin with and to fit in the plane / helicopter, you can not be longer than 1.95 m (especially if you have long legs can be a problem) and you can not weigh more than 90 kg. If you are unsure, please contact us and we will arrange so you can sit in the aircraft / helikotern.

7. I have already Medical class 2, do I still Medical Class 1?
A Medical Class 2 is okay for a PPL, so you can start PPL with this certificate. But to become a commercial pilot, you must have have a Medical Class 1, so for your own sake, it is just as well apply for it directly, so you will not be disappointed later on if you do not pass the Medical Class 1. You must have Medical Class 1 before ATPL theory starts.

8. I come from a country outside the EU, do I need a Swedish citizenship to study at SPU?
No, it will not require a Swedish citizenship. Instead required (student) visa if you come from a country not with the EEA (ie not connected to the EU's trade agreements).

Cost and Financing

9. What does it cost to become a pilot?
You will be given a thorough explanation about the prices of Recruitment Day. You can also read more on Cost and Disposition under both Be Pilot Airplane and become a helicopter pilot .

10th Can you get CSN as you study at SPU?
Yes, if you read the whole Trafikflygarutbildningen - even helicopter. SPU is the only school where tuition fees can be largely financed with CSN and this applies to both aircraft (up to 360,000) and helicopter training (up to 300,000).

11. How is funding students normally educated at SPU?
Many have saved money or get help from relatives. You can get the CSN for nearly half of the cost which is unique for Swedish Pilot training and both airplanes and helicopters. We will talk you through everything about the financing portion of the Recruitment Day .

9Aplus
20th Jan 2014, 08:28
Smart approach :ok:

Martin1234
20th Jan 2014, 14:18
The program does not include an IR. So if someone needs a CPL(H) licence it could be for "free". If someone already has a CPL(H) licence but wants to add an IR, that person would need to make money, tax that money and then pay for the IR. :ugh:

I think that some of the information quoted in a previous post only refers to the programs that are self financed.

spinner79
21st Jan 2014, 09:38
hello guys and girls.
Where in Sweden are the jobs, cause then I would like to help my 15 to 20, friends to get a job, many of them have been searching for years.

Tango123
23rd Jan 2014, 12:28
The program does not include an IR. So if someone needs a CPL(H) licence it could be for "free". If someone already has a CPL(H) licence but wants to add an IR, that person would need to make money, tax that money and then pay for the IR.

It's still a pretty good deal, even without an IR :ok:

Where in Sweden are the jobs, cause then I would like to help my 15 to 20, friends to get a job, many of them have been searching for years.

Honestly, I also really don't see the point in Swedish taxpayers training people to the risk of unemployment, since there are loads of people with EASA/ JAR licence searching....

mezzanaccio
23rd Jan 2014, 23:04
Does anyone know if the knowledge of the Swedish language is a requirement?
I'm asking because I see that the website has no English version.

Well I could even learn Swedish if this gets me a chance like this! :ok:

hairline
24th Jan 2014, 06:35
I think they will at least strongly favor Swedish speaking applicants. The official details for this program will be posted on their website 'shortly'.
I'm speaking German and their Swedish [and Norwegian] website was actually quite fun to read,
just the pronunciation is still giving me a headache...

mezzanaccio
25th Jan 2014, 12:09
I have a few questions:

Is this some sort of loan programme or rather a scholarship?

Can anyone please clarify what CSN stands for?

Does anyone know when this recruitment day is?

Is SPU the flight school where the 20 students will be trained?

Thank you so much!

Tango123
25th Jan 2014, 16:01
This is the site for the recruitment day. Dates is on the page (use google translate for assistance):

https://podio.com/webforms/1021297/46416

SPU is the only flying school where the whole training is for free (paid by the swedish tax payers).

CSN is for: About CSN - CSN (http://www.csn.se/en/2.1076)

CSN approves and sends out Swedish financial aid for studies, which includes both grants and loans to students in Sweden and abroad. We at CSN also handle repayment of the loans.

Home equipment loans, which give foreign citizens (mostly refugees) the chance to get off to a good start in Sweden, are also among our responsibilities.
Thanks to the opportunity to obtain financial aid, everyone in Sweden can study. It would accordingly make no difference which social, economic or geographic background a person has or if he or she has an impairment. CSN awards a total of approximately 23 billion Swedish kronor a year to almost 900,000 students.
Good relations with students and other borrowers are a must for us. So we want to make it easy for people to get in touch with us whenever they need help. Everyone is entitled to a prompt, comprehensible reply. CSN's electronic services make it possible to apply for student aid, find out when the money arrives and calculate how much has to be repaid.
Students and other borrowers have made it clear that they are satisfied with the assistance we provide. But there's always room for improvement. We want to offer more value every year. And that is part of the challenge we face going forward.

Suchyy
26th Jan 2014, 09:47
Free ATPL(A)/Frozen is an option at some polish Universities and at one of them you could get free of charge CPL(H) for a couple of years.

1. University of Technology in Rzeszow - frozen ATPL(A)
2. Polish Air Force Academy in Dęblin - civilian ATPL(A) and in future possibility of a civilian CPL(H)
3. The State School of Higher Eductation in Chelm - CPL(A) + IR + ME + IR/ME and there was a possibility of CPL(H) but I'm not sure if there would be in a future

3rd option is where I got my free CPL(H).

These programs are on going for many year. At Rzeszow university the pilot studies program has been going on since 1976. In 2001 or 2002 simillar program has been started at The State School of Higher Education in Chełm. In 2009 the possibility of getting CPL(H) has begun - in first year 4 students have become commercial helicopter pilots and in second year of the program 8 students have managed to get their CPL(H)s. During the 3rd year the program was suspended and now there is 4 students undergoing their courses towards CPL(H). In 2009 civilian pilot program has started and have been offering ATPL(A)/frozen however the school has bought 4 or 5 Cabri G2 helicopters so there may be the possibility of getting civilian CPL(H) there.

The pilot studies programs are a part of university majors and are free of charge. It is all paid by the polish tax payers. I'm really surprised that nobody knew about it. Aviation world is very small and that knowledge should be soaring around the aviation community for a long time now. I know that these majors are in polish but I guess that is the price you need to pay for the free training. All of the pilot programs start on the 2 or 3 semesters into the major and there is a separate qualification process. It is based on the general aviation knowledge, English skills, aviation experience (being PPL(A) license pilot) and grades that you gathered through first 2 or 3 semesters.

Ok, now is the time to ask you guys if you have any specific information about the swedish program. What I would like to know what are the specific courses that would be available to person already owning CPL(H).

Regards,
Suchyy

mezzanaccio
26th Jan 2014, 17:58
@Tango123: Thank you for your answer.
So CSN and this programme are two different things, now it is clear.

@Suchyyy: That sounds great, you're lucky there in Poland. I would take this into account but at the moment learning Polish is too big a barrier. It took me almost a year to learn German in Germany at a decent level, I can't imagine Polish while not being in Poland.

Tango123
28th Jan 2014, 08:15
Helihub:

Two Swedish helicopter schools, Svensk Pilotutbildning (SPU) and Scandinavian Aviation Academy (SAA), have been awarded an agreement with the Swedish National Agency for Higher Vocational Education for training of 30 new helicopter pilots a year. After acceptance to the two-year 400-point higher vocational education programme, the pilots will gain a full ATPL(H)IR theory and a CPL(H) license with 135 flight hours. The Swedish Government will be funding the programme in order to safeguard the availability of qualified pilots for national parapublic and civil helicopter operations in the future.

Svensk Pilotutbildning, based in Gothenburg, has been granted 20 slots for new helicopter pilots and Scandinavian Aviation Academy, with its heart in Västerås, has been granted 10 slots.

Roland Winsel, CEO of SPU, says: “The fact that the government will fund these spots on a yearly basis is very fulfilling and it acknowledges that the general public benefits from programmes like this”.

SPU started with fixed wing training operations in 1998. The helicopter training division was established in 2004, and it has grown to become one of the leading schools in Sweden. SAA has a long experience in fixed-wing pilot training, and the school has progressively been adding the helicopter segment to its training plan through a cooperation with iTell Helicopters.

mezzanaccio
28th Jan 2014, 09:54
I can't wait for application details to come out!!!
Thanks for updating!

Suchyy
28th Jan 2014, 17:32
@mezzanacio: Thanks for the good thoughts and don't not forget about Poland in the future. Maybe somebody you know will be able to benefit from that knowledge.

DonQuixote23
5th Feb 2014, 00:45
I must be missing something here. Is this a decision to supply the entire european market with helicopter pilots, or just Sweden? 30(!!) new pilots, per year? So if this actually happens then in five years time (well, seven but you get my point) there will be 150 new low-time Swedish helicopter pilots that the taxpayers have paid around 150 million SEK (17 mil. Euro) to train.

All very good if there was such a desperate need for pilots but as far as I can tell there are many skilled, self-funded and very much unemployed pilots currently looking for any job they can get.

And if the government is worried about lack of pilots (they state the lack is of national concern) for EMS, SAR and also military, how will these new pilots get the required thousands of hours, multi-engine etc.?

Enough whining - happy days for those who get in and I wish you all the best :)

mezzanaccio
5th Feb 2014, 09:24
@ Tango123
Where did you find the information about eligibility of EU citizenzs for the programme? I could not find it anywhere - I'm waiting for an answer from ths schools but I fear it might only be for swedish/scandinavian nationals.

Tango123
5th Feb 2014, 11:31
Threadstarter: 8. I come from a country outside the EU, do I need a Swedish citizenship to study at SPU?
No, it will not require a Swedish citizenship. Instead required (student) visa if you come from a country not with the EEA (i.e. not connected to the EU's trade agreements).

Google translate from:

Pilotutbildning - Vanliga frågor (http://www.svenskpilotutbildning.se/vanliga-fragor)

8. Jag kommer från ett land utanför EU, behöver jag ett svenskt medborgarskap för att studera vid SPU?
Nej, det krävs inget svenskt medborgarskap. Däremot krävs (studerande) visum om man kommer från ett land som inte är med EES (dvs inte är anslutet till EUs handelsavtal).

mezzanaccio
5th Feb 2014, 13:05
The thing is, those FAQ are for normal students that wish to get their licences at the school, not for the government-funded programme.

Tango123
5th Feb 2014, 13:31
Good point, not quite sure, but if you read #11 on the same page, you will see that CSN pays up to 300.000 for helicopter training and 360.000 for fixed wing, and CSN is not only for swedish nationals.

Have you tried to contact them?

I believe that the biggest barrier is that the classes are in swedish only (according to the homepage).

mezzanaccio
5th Feb 2014, 15:44
CSN can lend the money to students wishing to get the licences in the traditional way. This programme is fully paid for, it's no loan.
I have tried contacting them but I didn't get any answer about this yet, I'll try and call them