PDA

View Full Version : Advice for job seeking after CPL

Black_Knight
19th Jan 2014, 23:33
Hi all, I've been lurking for a few weeks reading up on much of the forum lots of solid advice out there.

I've been wanting to fly professionally for a long time but delayed training due to starting a family and all the fun and games that come with that.

My ultimate goal is to fly for the airlines on major domestic routes. (not sure about international long haul lifestyle)

I've spent the past 7 years building skills and experience in IT as my backup career\ method to fund training and I'm finally in a position to fund a modular training approach without selling my kidneys.

The question is, what sort work is available or best to look at to build hours earn a little bit of cash and is reasonable to apply for with a fresh CPL.

are there any common part time jobs that could be worked as a second job on weekends either paid or volunteer for (ie i dont have to pay for plane hire but build PIC hours).

Im looking for advice specific to the melbourne area, apart from the 4 airports in the area the wife wants to move there for her work too (and canberra is a bit boring after 20+ years.)

RTN11
20th Jan 2014, 00:45
Don't know what the market is like in Australia, but if you already have a wife and kids then flight training is no way to keep them. I've seen many a happy marriage end 2 years after the husband finishing his CPL and not finding a meaningful job.

It's a pretty selfish move to make, so you need to have your families full support, as you may well find yourself basically unemployed for up to 5 years, a tough situation to be in.

Black_Knight
20th Jan 2014, 00:50
Hi RTN,

Thanks for the concern on the home front, I do infact have the wifes full support surprisingly enough. I also have my IT career where i've built up certs and a fairly wide base of knowledge and experience which gives me a lot of flexibility in med tier roles to continue while applying for work as a pilot.

5-in-50
20th Jan 2014, 07:43
I imagine it will be tough with a wife and kids to split your work/home time between. I have the wife, who is extremely understanding and supportive of my career choice, but not yet the kids.

My recommendation would be to consider starting out in part-time instructing. You'll gain some hours, live in a city, and still be able to supplement your income on weekdays with your IT work.

Once you have some experience under your belt, you can jump in full time and your experience will give you a little more leverage to find a more family friendly charter pilot role (read: not remote Oz).

On the other hand, 18-24 months in the top end will see you with enough multi hours to apply for a regional turbo-prop job. If your family can survive that run, you'll be set afterwards.

My two cents.

sarge75
20th Jan 2014, 08:27
My advice, avoid Melbourne, last place in Aust to go hoping to get your first job (unless you are going to instruct)

interstella 555
20th Jan 2014, 09:08
Mate I was in IT for 7years before I changed career and now 8years later I'm in the right hand seat of a jet. You have 2 ways instruct or GA, I chose the later and spent 4years in the bush and 4years in a turboprop. Trust me i know your wife says now she supports you but the I have only seen 1 in 10 relationships make it through GA and through to airlines. Also I went from a six figure salary to earning 400pw living in a shed working 6.5 days a week flying 100hrs a month. That said I wouldnt give up the experience or the friends you make for the world.
I tried the dual career for a while but IT is difficult to get work accept in Darwin or maybe Cairns but I found it impossible to balance the two careers had to drop the IT.
Good luck

Black_Knight
20th Jan 2014, 09:14
Hi 50 - 5 by "the top end" are you talking about Darwin or does that include Townsville \ Brisbane?

Darwin will be a tough ask on the family I think. Melbourne's on the list because we have some family there to make things a little bit easier. 18 - 24 months of flight instructing doesn't sound to bad especially if I'm looking towards my own training as well, if its part time at least it will break up the week from locating Power buttons and resetting password.

HshiftOne
20th Jan 2014, 21:48
Black Knight - I believe it is very difficult to get a job in the major towns/cities (Darwin, Brisbane, Townsville, Broome) with a fresh CPL, you have to go out to the smaller towns (Jabiru, Wyndham, etc)

Im in a similar spot to you, Ill be doing a CPL this year coming from an Engineering/Manufacturing background and im looking to head up to the top end at the start of next year. Im from WA so Ill be starting from around Carnarvon and heading up to Kununara job hunting along the way.

Alot of good info on the top end in this thread http://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/383870-information-regarding-top-end.html

engine out
20th Jan 2014, 21:51
18-24 months of flight instructing seems a little un-realistic unless the world has changed completely. Plan on at least double

Flying Bear
20th Jan 2014, 22:03
For the sake of those who come later, please don't get into flight instruction as a means to simply build hours... I did exactly that (knowing no better at the time) and now I shudder to think how much disservice I did to those I supposedly "taught"!

You're after a first flying job - that's fantastic and I wish you the very best in finding one whilst balancing family requirements. You limit your options by being choosy about location but there ought to be scenic operators, skydivers, etc in the Melbourne area that you can get in with.

Otherwise, do as most others do - head to the NT or WA - you'll never never know if you never never go!!

gretzky99
20th Jan 2014, 22:44
Hi 50 - 5 by "the top end" are you talking about Darwin or does that include Townsville \ Brisbane?

If your lucky, I'd be thinking Kunanurra, Broome, Horn Is. and every where between. If you play your cards right,12-18 months should get you back to civilisation in the form of Cairns, Darwin ect.

Staying down south isn't impossible, especially if you know the right people, but with fewer ops and more competition, the numbers are against you.

morno
20th Jan 2014, 22:44
The 'Top End' is Darwin and surrounds. Brisbane is very far from the Top End, :E.

You need to be realistic with your expectations. And by that, I mean that you're unlikely (not impossible, but certainly not in any short space of time if you're lucky as well) to get a job in a major city to start with. I think if you really want to get that career off to a good start and move it along, you need to ditch the city life and go west/north/north west.

Here's hoping the wife and kids are happy to do so!

morno

5-in-50
20th Jan 2014, 22:52
Allow me to clarify:

The 18-24 months I mentioned would be heading north and gaining charter GA work in the bush. This type of work can offer quick progression onto multi engine aircraft after around 700-1000 hours of single time.

If chosing the Instructing route, you'll stay in a city (hopefully), but you won't touch a multi until you're a grade 1 Instructor with the appropriate approvals. So expect to have 2000 single time and no significant multi hours. To gain the 'standard' 500 multi PIC that most people want for their airline applications, you'll be looking at 3-5 years of instructing.

the_rookie
20th Jan 2014, 23:35
Can be grade 1 with meta with a lot less then 2000 hours

interstella 555
21st Jan 2014, 00:23
If you think living in Darwin is going to be hard then you should stay in Melbourne. I'll be honest a guy with less than 500hrs will struggle getting a job. Darwin is normally your second job in ga....Try Slingair in knx or kakadu air in jabiru, Gumbi's in Manangrida everyone starts at the bottom join the queue.

Black_Knight
21st Jan 2014, 18:43
Lots of sound advice and realistic expectations, thank you guys exactly what im after.

I think im going to head down to Melbourne for a holiday and stay with some family and start networking down in Moorabbin and Essendon to see whats out there. king island air operate out of moorabbin so theres a possibility. on somethings thats both out of the way and near a major city.

As I've got at least a good 6 months before i can start flying again, I might dig up out as much information on some of those cadetships flying around and compile it together.

Sharp airlines peaked my interest, with there advertised 500 hours of flight time, (need to determine the break down of the hours though). Jetstar looks suspect as, with bugger all information, and virgin seems to tell you everything but when the next one might start.

Jay Bo
21st Jan 2014, 19:31
"Head north and get a job"
Not that easy..... Just because you have your CPL doesn't mean you will get a job heading north. Some people I know including myself went with little or no success so be prepared to evaluate your plans and factor in the cost of trying to keep current while looking for a job

pilotchute
22nd Jan 2014, 06:09
I was based in Darwin early last year and I can tell you the amount of people "Heading up North" was astounding.

Between Kakadu, AAA, Slingair and the other usual suspects I would say that the total hiring last year of fresh CPL guys in the top end (not including WA and Alice of course) was around 20-25 for the whole season.

The amount of guys fronting up to hand in CV's around the GA area in Darwin would have been around that number every 2 weeks. Remember that many don't even bother with Darwin and just go straight to Kunnus.

To get a job up North isn't anywhere near as easy as its made out to be on here.

It also is a bit of a lucky dip too. You can be a top person with 210 time and a MECIR with all the bells and whistles and not even get an interview. Cocky little Top Gun wannabee who you wouldn't let fly a kite will get hired though.

TOUCH-AND-GO
22nd Jan 2014, 10:46
You can be a top person with 210 time and a MECIR with all the bells and whistles and not even get an interview. Cocky little Top Gun wannabee who you wouldn't let fly a kite will get hired though.

Guess I'll be changing my name to Iceman.! :}