PDA

View Full Version : AIM-54 and Phantom tests?

Mr Grimsdale
18th Jan 2014, 09:42
I recently came across the article below regarding testing launching the AIM-54 from a Phantom. Does anyone know anything more about this?

The Phantom with a Phoenix » The Unwanted Blog (http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=6201)

BBadanov
20th Jan 2014, 09:04
I do not know of this USN trial.

But the Iranians allegedly did a bunch of weirdo things off their US fighters, probably AIM-54 off F-4 was one, and airborne MIM Hawk launch (F-4 / F-14) was another.

engineer(retard)
20th Jan 2014, 09:47
It appears to have been a test bed for safe separation tests. Although it does not mention it, I suspect that it was most likely some form of model validation for the launcher/missile combination.

Courtney Mil
20th Jan 2014, 11:45
I know they fired a few AIM-54s AT Phantoms. The F-4 would never have been very good with Phoenix, because it didn't have the F-14 TWS radar to support multiple AAM launches, nor was it really big enough to carry the sort of load the F-14 could. Phoenix was a big, heavy missile.

Mr Grimsdale
20th Jan 2014, 11:49
Thanks for the replies chaps.
Bearing in mind the centreline normally carried a tank, gun pod or multiple ejector rack, would one of these test launches have been similar to jettisoning one of those items?
I'm summising the missile would have been ejected downwards before the motor fired.

Courtney Mil
20th Jan 2014, 11:53
I'm summising the missile would have been ejected downwards before the motor fired.
It would indeed. Hence the pneumatic ejectors.