PDA

View Full Version : Harry quits flying

dctyke
17th Jan 2014, 12:37
Prince Harry Quits The Battleground For An Office Job (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/17/prince-harry-quits-army-_n_4615882.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk-ws-bb%7Cdl4%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D237207)

Al-bert
17th Jan 2014, 12:58
Mission accomplished? :E

Union Jack
17th Jan 2014, 13:21
Mission accomplished?

Not to mention a few e-missions? I said not to mention .....:=

Jack

Al-bert
17th Jan 2014, 13:25
and o-missions? :}

Hangarshuffle
17th Jan 2014, 13:30
I'm glad - he's done his bit, been out there twice at least. It would be better for all the Royals if they got out into our country, get real jobs and be among all the ordinary people for a while. Away from the courtiers and the military.
They seem to be sliding away from the ordinary people at the moment - William certainly is.

Just my penceworth.

Bob Viking
17th Jan 2014, 13:36
Sheesh. Give 'em a break. I'd say they're doing a pretty good job. We're each entitled to our own opinions though, of course.
BV:O

Sun Who
17th Jan 2014, 13:46
Looks to me as if he's trying to have a 'normal' Army career.
Good on him.

Sun.

Evanelpus
17th Jan 2014, 13:48
I suppose he's done 'his bit', now he can revert to being a royal again.

All seems very tokenistic to me, it's like they are supposed to join a service for a minimally agreed period, before bowing out.

Just my two pennyworth.

Sun Who
17th Jan 2014, 13:51
Or, a more generous interpretation might be that, one ground tour in HERRICK, followed by one flying tour, then a staff tour in Defence Engagement is a pretty typical early career for a promising young officer, which I'm lead to believe Harry is.

Sun.

Evanelpus
17th Jan 2014, 13:59
My comments not aimed specifically at Harry, aimed more towards all Royals generally.

West Coast
17th Jan 2014, 14:01
What is the normal commitment after receiving ones wings for the other lads flying Apaches?

Surplus
17th Jan 2014, 14:02
I'm sorry, I thought he was a good egg after the naked game of pool with the stunning chick. (As well as his wish to serve in the 'Stan.)

Q-RTF-X
17th Jan 2014, 14:09
Seems to me to be a pretty good guy who has done his share and would seem to be well respected by those in a position to judge.

SASless
17th Jan 2014, 14:32
We all to the Manor cannot be born.

Yes , he gets "royal" treatment....but he served in combat on two tours.

He isn't just one of the "Lads"....because of his birth and your system of Royalty.

So even if he is being blessed with favors by his new posting....get over it.

It is not his fault.....he was drafted into the outfit as you must recall.

He seems to be doing a very good job in his own right.

chevvron
17th Jan 2014, 14:33
The way I read it he hasn't quit, his tour with the AAC is finishing and he's being posted elsewhere as all Army Officers are likely to be.

Tankertrashnav
17th Jan 2014, 15:06
All seems very tokenistic to me, it's like they are supposed to join a service for a minimally agreed period, before bowing out.

Look, there is nothing in the constitution to say they couldn't have led a playboy life of idleness until the time came to ascend to the throne (in William's case) if they'd wanted (plenty of precedent for that). Instead both have chosen to put themselves in harm's way and do a useful job when they didn't have to.

As regards minimum time required, when I joined there were still 5 and 8 year short service commissions on offer, and further back many Vampire pilots were doing extended National Service for 3 years, IIRC.

SimWes
17th Jan 2014, 15:15
According to the article:
"Prince Harry spent three and a half years in training and operational service with the Apache Force during his attachment to the Army Air Corps."

Not having a go, but surely after spending all that money in getting him trained on the Apache, you’d expect a few more years out of him. Or is that the norm for all Apache pilots?

Genstabler
17th Jan 2014, 15:25
As usual when any news emerges involving a Royal, we now have an outbreak of ignorance, heavily tempered with prejudice on Pprune.
If you are not cap badged AAC, you do your flying training followed by a three year tour as a squadron pilot. You then revert to your own cap badge and do further tours at regimental duty or on a staff. Harry is a captain so he has been given an SO3 staff appointment at HQ London District, one for which he is ideally suited. He may be asked at a later date to return to the AAC for a further flying tour, possibly as a Squadron Commander.
Happened to me and thousands of other Pongo aviators.
What's the problem?

Burnie5204
17th Jan 2014, 15:34
Indeed,

He's a Blues and Royals officer in the Household Cavalry who is on attachment with AAC dont forget. That attachment is ending, so he returns to Household Cav. there is no way he will allowed to do another ground tour after his last ground tour went so wrong (thanks to the media) and so Staff Officer post it is and its definitely not uncommon for Captains to be based in the Staff Office so there is nothing special about his career progression apart from the security arrangements for his first ground tour.

He is also very, very keen on schemes to assist injured service personnel through the various charities of which he is a Patron so if, as the article suggests, this ground tour will allow him to do that through the Warrior Games then maybe he wants this post to be able to 'work on the system' from the inside and make a positive difference to the Army and the opportunities available for injured service personnel.

Arclite01
17th Jan 2014, 15:40
Lots of fuss about nothing. I found the title of this thread misleading and offensive actually..................:=

Arc

Al-bert
17th Jan 2014, 15:48
should one never question the judgement of those in a position to judge.?

there seem to be a lot of touchy royalists on Prune today! ;)

SASless
17th Jan 2014, 15:58
Lord knows....if I am supporting the young Lad....and I am certainly in no way an admirer of Royalty or anything to do with it....it would seem you Brits should be able to accept this new assignment of Harry's with better grace than some of you are.:uhoh:

Genstabler
17th Jan 2014, 16:16
And touchy members, and former members, of the Armed Forces who are not comfortable that a serving officer is being castigated by prejudiced burkes who should know better for the sole reason of his parentage.

SimWes
17th Jan 2014, 16:20
Genstabler

If you are not cap badged AAC, you do your flying training followed by a three year tour as a squadron pilot. You then revert to your own cap badge and do further tours at regimental duty or on a staff. Harry is a captain so he has been given an SO3 staff appointment at HQ London District, one for which he is ideally suited. He may be asked at a later date to return to the AAC for a further flying tour, possibly as a Squadron Commander.
Happened to me and thousands of other Pongo aviators.

Thanks for clearing that up. Little bit wiser today

Toadstool
17th Jan 2014, 16:27
I am a Royalist and proud of it. I swore an oath and am glad that the heirs and successors appear to be fine young men who have served their country with honour and distinction. Questioning whether or not Prince Harry has served a TROS or given enough time back to the AAC just demonstrates a complete lack of understanding. Those who whine that they may have been treated slightly favourably or differently need to get a dose of reality.

Tankertrashnav
17th Jan 2014, 16:57
Gen Stabler - Thanks for your post :ok: Of course it's a bit of a novelty on JB to get the facts from somebody who actually knows what they are talking about. Tends to confuse people like Al bert and a few others!

NutLoose
17th Jan 2014, 17:23
I hope gets that beard off before the RSM sees him or there'll be hell to play :O

Sun Who
17th Jan 2014, 17:41
For crying out loud. Competent young royal paints British forces in good light, promotes the cause of wounded veterans and chooses (chooses mind you) to have a career in the Army ( he could be p1ss1ng it up his entire life, no one could stop him) and his military colleagues - all of whom have sworn an oath to his mum, give him grief. Christ on a bike. :mad:

Give the young man a break. You don't have to be a royalist to see the good he and his brother do for the British military just by their general bloomin' deportment and commitment.

Sun.

Genstabler
17th Jan 2014, 18:04
racedo

You are both objectionable and a ..... Unfortunately Pprune rules prevent me from providing an accurate description of your character. Were you ever in the Forces? Why don't you stick to JB which is a much more appropriate pool for you to wee in?

dctyke
17th Jan 2014, 18:29
Arclite01: Lots of fuss about nothing. I found the title of this thread misleading and offensive actually..................

A bit harsh, so what is so 'misleading' and 'offensive' about Harry quits flying? I thought it was better to quote the headline, harmless enough! Would you like to give me an alternative or prefer that I delete the thread?

Tourist
17th Jan 2014, 18:34
Personally, I quite like these threads.

One of the many downsides of a pc society is that it is often tricky to work out exactly who the c*&ts are.

These threads make it abundantly clear, so thanks!

Al-bert
17th Jan 2014, 18:44
Tends to confuse people like Al bert and a few others!

TTN, what makes you think that a. I'm confused and b. anti royal?

If you read what I wrote my 'mission accomplished' was a dig at politicians. My o-missions was a follow up to e-missions - nothing more! It was a joke, but then I'm guessing you were a Nav so that probably explains a lot of your confusion :E

smujsmith
17th Jan 2014, 19:08
I'm a bit confused at the thread title. Has Harry announced he will no longer fly anything ? I suspect not, and like all aircrew assigned to the mahogany bomber, maybe he'll keep his hand in "just in case". Meanwhile, it looks like he's going to do his best to promote service charities, alongside his day to day job. As far as I'm concerned (just your retired old noncom) the lads done his bit and should enjoy his ground tour. Best of luck to him.

Smudge :ok:

glad rag
17th Jan 2014, 19:14
Personally, I quite like these threads.

One of the many downsides of a pc society is that it is often tricky to work out exactly who the c*&ts are.

These threads make it abundantly clear, so thanks!

I totally agree. And thats a first as well. :8:E:}

skua
17th Jan 2014, 20:29
Racedo - you are very naughty and I fear the Tower beckons.

From what I hear, Harry excelled in his time in the AAC, and I am sure he will make a great success of his new role

Al-bert
17th Jan 2014, 21:15
Skua

why, is Racedo going Air Traffic? :)

ps. that was a joke, a little demonstration for the benefit of Genstumbler and TTN ;)

mopardave
17th Jan 2014, 21:34
from my civvie stand point, they seem like two grand lads...........I don't get the cheap shot remarks........I know everyone is entitled to an opinion, but really gents! Harry especially.......what he's done for forces charities. They've served their country.........big up to them!:ugh:

Genstabler
17th Jan 2014, 21:36
Tourist
You're spot on.

Tankertrashnav
17th Jan 2014, 21:45
It was a joke, but then I'm guessing you were a Nav

Gosh well worked out - however did you guess? ;)

lynx-effect
17th Jan 2014, 21:47
3 year time bar from completion of course but that doesn't have to be on flying duties which may seem like a waste of money. In fact most Officers that join the Army to fly want to carry on flying throughout their whole career but the natural career progression is after 3 years you start doing ground jobs and staff college and the like. The RAF and Navy give their pilots the option of being a career pilot with a separate payband but on the premise that they will have slower promotion than their desk counterparts This is why most Officers transfer to the RAF and Navy so that they pursue the career that they love

Good job Captain Wales.

Hatchet 130
17th Jan 2014, 22:10
Just applied last week on JPA for a job based in Horse-guards, SO3 clubbing in Kensington and Chelsea or something like that.
I've already got an oyster card so must be in the running.

Fingers crossed and waiting to hear from my deskie.

Clockwork Mouse
18th Jan 2014, 11:59

You will have a long wait. I expect that whatever desk you are flying at the moment is perfectly suited to your talents, potential and intellect. What is it by the way?

diginagain
18th Jan 2014, 12:17
Has Harry announced he will no longer fly anything ? I suspect not, and like all aircrew assigned to the mahogany bomber, maybe he'll keep his hand in "just in case". Is there an AEF nearby?

Genstabler
18th Jan 2014, 12:27
There is no requirement for him to keep his hand in on something he will never fly for real. If and when he returns to the AAC to do a second three year flying tour, possibly as a Sqn Comd or 2IC, he will do a refresher course on whatever aircraft he is assigned to. The system works.

NutLoose
18th Jan 2014, 13:16
Reading the thread, everyone appears to be assuming this posting was of his own doing, not the Armies....

Does anyone really know?

racedo
18th Jan 2014, 13:39

Gen's response was correct, it was a crass comment from me and I apologise and deleted it, it more suited to JB than a professional forum.

Genstabler
18th Jan 2014, 13:46
Does anyone really know? Only he and his personnel branch.

However, he has just completed a full flying tour, his Regiment is based in London, he is due a staff posting, this SO3 post in HQ Londist is ideal for him, round post in round hole. Unless one is an ignorant, republican conspiracy freak, what the hell is the problem?

Genstabler
18th Jan 2014, 13:47
Good for you racedo. :ok:

Heathrow Harry
18th Jan 2014, 14:02
I'm no Royalist but the lad has done his time in the front line

Pity they are (apparently) giving him a staff job working so close to his family - it would have been better if he'd gone to work on procurement or even HR for the lower ranks

Genstabler
18th Jan 2014, 15:29
HH
Why is it a pity? Better for whom? He's in the Household Division and has a lot of experience and knowledge relevant to his new post. What would be the point of deliberately sending him away from his home base to a post for which he has no aptitude or experience, apart from satisfying the antis? Round peg. Round hole.
Hope you don't have anything to do with personnel or career management because you have very odd priorities.

Heathrow Harry
18th Jan 2014, 17:52
It's a pity because it will be perceived that it's a cushy number working with the Palace, No.10 etc etc

Surely they could have found something a bit different for him to do - 2 tours by anyone in Afghanistan after all is experience that shouldn't be wasted by organising ceremonial duties - there must be a herd of (useless) SO's who would love to do that

Genstabler
18th Jan 2014, 18:38
Those who want to will perceive anything to do with any Royals as a fix. It isn't. It's a sensible and logical decision. Live with it.

Tankertrashnav
18th Jan 2014, 20:03
2 tours by anyone in Afghanistan after all is experience that shouldn't be wasted by organising ceremonial duties - there must be a herd of (useless) SO's who would love to do that

Whilst not equating operational service with ceremonial duties, its a big mistake to regard this job as a jolly which could be done by any "useless" SO.

Public duties in London include large ceremonial parades which are in effect state occasions, and present the public face of the army to thousands of people. The value to the country in terms of overseas tourist revenue must be very great, and can be compared in PR terms to the Red Arrows, etc. Not a job where you want cock-ups.

I am reminded of an old Irish Guards officer chum of mine (now sadly deceased), who told me he was in charge of a defensive position somewhere up country in the Radfan in the early 60's. As they were keeping their heads down to dodge accurate incoming rifle fire from the dissidents, his sergeant, who was ducking down beside him muttered - "It'll be good to get back to London to do some real soldiering again, sir!"

kintyred
18th Jan 2014, 21:41
It concerns me not one bit what the fourth in line to throne does as a job....he'll be outside the top 10 in a generation, but I am troubled that the RAF requires a 6 year return of service for an OCU whereas the army has sufficient taxpayer's money to allow its pilots to disappear after only 3 years.

Courtney Mil
18th Jan 2014, 21:45
It would be better for all the Royals if they got out into our country, get real jobs

You think the acheivements on Princes William and Harry as front line helo pilots don't count as real jobs? They weren't given their wings because of who they are, the earnt them, same as everyone else has to. They have both distinguished themselves in ops. I know it doesn't suit your argument to acknowledge these facts, but statements like yours do nothing for the credability of your post - whatever the point of it was. To be honest, I lost interest in it after that rather obvious vitriol. Sorry.

Thank you for that, Gen. Lots of people here clearly did not understand that and obviously need to; not that it it's likely to make their ignorant rants any better infomed, but that's fine.

Training Risky
18th Jan 2014, 22:15
We have a Monarchy -whether we like or not.

Personally I think it is the least worst form of constitutional arrangement we could have, given our long proud island history and disastrous flirtation with Republicanism/Theocracy in the 1650s and Euro-Communism prior to the crash of 2008 (discuss!). What's the alternative today? President Dave or Comrade Secretary General Millibland?

The Firm (immortalised in Princess Squidgy's words) is very good at PR - just look at the way it was rehabilitated into the national consciousness after the PR nightmare of Mrs Al-Fayed's death: We have had a genial, accessible young chap marry a middle class girl, a 'multi-culti' Diamond Jubilee, a roguish young JO on detachment in Las Vegas that we can all envy and admire in equal measure. Hell, even ‘Wills and Kate Ltd’ have begun to trademark their ‘brand’.

And yes - the Royals are going to have a cushy time of it: parties, polo and pate. Wouldn’t you if all that money was available? (earned…or given? Discuss!!). I have stated on record on previous threads that a bespoke wings course at Cranditz, a very accelerated captaincy Q on SAR and very carefully and safely managed tours as a FAC/Apache pilot, is nothing more than PR spin for a 24-hour news society obsessed with knowing far more than they need to about the Royals.

Yes the boys may want nothing more than to go on ops and be subjected to the same sh!te that the rest of us had to endure; but due to their constitutional position, they never will. We have to accept it for what it is: the preparation for the heir and the spare to take their places in the Firm in due course, all under the watchful eye of the media, vocal republicans, the establishment and us.

Just my 2p anyway.

500N
18th Jan 2014, 22:34
TR

Tell me, how does the military make a safe tour for an Apache pilot / gunner when they are shooting at the enemy that are shooting at troops on the ground and always the chance of an RPG being fired at them ?

"and very carefully and safely managed tours as a FAC/Apache pilot, is nothing more than PR spin".

"And yes - the Royals are going to have a cushy time of it: parties, polo and pate."

Sound like what a lot of ex RAF officers on here have expressed as spending non flying hours doing (well, the parties and pate part), the third part could be added for Guards officers.

Courtney Mil
18th Jan 2014, 22:38
500N, well put.:ok:

Genstabler
18th Jan 2014, 22:55
Just my 2p anyway

What a waste.

Training Risky
18th Jan 2014, 23:10
Cheers Dits.

SASless
19th Jan 2014, 00:15
One thing I have never figured out.....if the first in line gets bumped off for some reason....everyone in the queue shuffles forward a step.....Right?

So...what is the big deal about the Lads and Lasses going off to War one at a time and taking the chance of being denied the Big Chair?

When a Chip Shop Owner's kids go off to War....and the Senior one gets killed....the next in line has a shot at taking over the family business.

So what is different with the Royals in that regard?

Lima Juliet
19th Jan 2014, 00:44
How very dare you, Sir. Comparing the UK to a chip shop! ;)

TBM-Legend
19th Jan 2014, 05:19
http://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=44537:\

Romulus
19th Jan 2014, 06:31
How very dare you, Sir. Comparing the UK to a chip shop!

Indeed.

Chip shop owners work hard and make a living determined solely by their own efforts...

Flame on!

TBM-Legend
19th Jan 2014, 07:44
Or he could take up cricket !!!

Sloppy Link
19th Jan 2014, 08:47
Training Return Of Service is 6 years on wings, 4 years on completion of Apache CTT. Point is, the return of service is to the service, not the cockpit.

SL

Tankertrashnav
19th Jan 2014, 09:10
One thing I have never figured out.....if the first in line gets bumped off for some reason....everyone in the queue shuffles forward a step.....Right?

Thats true. However I suppose we'd just be a bit upset if anything happened to the ones at the head of the queue, as there are some a bit further down the list we'd certainly not want as the monarch (no names!)

By the way if Obama and Biden both snuffed it simultaneously - who'd be next? I guess there's a contingency plan.

Gerontocrat
19th Jan 2014, 10:44
Something in the back of my memory tells me that the interim Presidency devolves to the Speaker of the House.

Toadstool
19th Jan 2014, 11:06
Oh good, John Boehner, the darling of Fox News, the bastion of impartial reporting.

Sorry - back to thread - well done Prince Harry Sir.

SASless
19th Jan 2014, 12:10
Yeppers.....If the Welfare Man and Walter snuffed it simultaneously.....after all the cheering and partying quieted down....the Speaker of the House would assume the Office of the President.....then the crying would start.:E

Heathrow Harry
19th Jan 2014, 15:49
wikipedia has the lsit as
# Office Current officer 1 Vice President of the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vice_President_of_the_United_States) Joe Biden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden) (D) 2 Speaker of the House (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_of_the_United_States_House_of_Representatives) John Boehner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Boehner) (R) 3 President pro tempore of the Senate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_pro_tempore_of_the_United_States_Senate) Patrick Leahy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Leahy) (D) 4 Secretary of State (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_State) John Kerry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kerry) (D) 5 Secretary of the Treasury (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_the_Treasury) Jacob Lew (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Lew) (D) 6 Secretary of Defense (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_Defense) Chuck Hagel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Hagel) (R) 7 Attorney General (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Attorney_General) Eric Holder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Holder) (D) — Secretary of the Interior (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_the_Interior) Sally Jewell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Jewell) (D)[a] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_line_of_succession#cite_note-3) 8 Secretary of Agriculture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_Agriculture) Tom Vilsack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Vilsack) (D) 9 Secretary of Commerce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_Commerce) Penny Pritzker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Pritzker) (D) 10 Secretary of Labor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_Labor) Thomas Perez (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Perez) (D) 11 Secretary of Health and Human Services (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_Health_and_Human_Services) Kathleen Sebelius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Sebelius) (D) 12 Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_Housing_and_Urban_Development) Shaun Donovan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Donovan) (D) 13 Secretary of Transportation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_Transportation) Anthony Foxx (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Foxx) (D) 14 Secretary of Energy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_Energy) Ernest Moniz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Moniz) (D) 15 Secretary of Education (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_Education) Arne Duncan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arne_Duncan) (D) 16 Secretary of Veterans Affairs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_Veterans_Affairs) Eric Shinseki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Shinseki) (I) 17 Secretary of Homeland Security (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_Homeland_Security) Jeh Johnson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeh_Johnson)
Sally Jewell is British born and therefore not eligible

parabellum
20th Jan 2014, 00:18
And yes - the Royals are going to have a cushy time of it: parties, polo and pate. Wouldn’t you if all that money was available? (earned…or given? Discuss!!). I have stated on record on previous threads that a bespoke wings course at Cranditz, a very accelerated captaincy Q on SAR and very carefully and safely managed tours as a FAC/Apache pilot, is nothing more than PR spin for a 24-hour news society obsessed with knowing far more than they need to about the Royals.

Just about everything you say above has already been discredited, here on PPRuNe, by people who know because of their position and by some who were actually involved 1 on 1 in the service of William and Harry. Why do you bother to regurgitate such tosh? Both will be in uniform for the rest of their lives and probably working 360 days a year well into their eighties, really cushy, eh?:=

SASless
20th Jan 2014, 02:55
Not a one of them qualified for the Office I might add.....except by right of holding an Office.

kaikohe76
20th Jan 2014, 03:40
I would think that, Prince harry would much rather be in the front seat of an Apache Helicopter, than flying a desk & may well be better at it too!

500N
20th Jan 2014, 03:47
Agree.

SaS
The same would apply to everyone else as well.

At least they make a good fist of it most of the time.
In addition, you'd be hard pressed to find too many Politician's families
where so many generations have been to or served during a war
- The Queen, Prince Phillip, Prince Andrew (regardless of everything else,
he did his job), Prince Harry and a few others as well. I think William would
have liked to have served on the front line.

Whenurhappy
20th Jan 2014, 07:21
500N - as ever a good post. Furthermore, I cannot imagine any in the Army, or indeed in civilian life who could fill the role of SO2 Engagements, London District, as well as Capt Wales. His currency in PR terms is immense. Let's say the Army is trying to organise sponsorship for some sort of Tournament. Who would industry and media be interested in having a meeting with? Capt Kevin Snodgrass AGC (late entry) or Prince Harry? Arguably more valuable, in light of the draw-down, than being a line Apache operator

BBadanov
20th Jan 2014, 08:12
^

I agree with what he said.

In Sydney last year, Harry was a huge and popular drawcard for the Navy's 100th anniversary of the Great Oz Fleet sailing in - and we are supposedly not so pro-monarchy !! Hmmm, go figure...

Tankertrashnav
20th Jan 2014, 08:37
Not a one of them qualified for the Office I might add.....except by right of holding an Office.

Needs clarification SAS - my understanding is that by your use of the word "office" you are referring to the list which HH posted, not the royals, as 500N assumed?

Whenurhappy - very well put.

SASless
20th Jan 2014, 14:24
I was referring to only the American Politicians in that long list.

A few were elected....and we know how that happens. The rest were appointed by the President upon advice by his unelected advisor in chief Valarie Jarrett of Chicago Slum Lord fame. Knowing how Chicago Politics operates that does not fill one with great hopes and expectations.

Training Risky
20th Jan 2014, 17:33
Just about everything you say above has already been discredited, here on PPRuNe, by people who know because of their position and by some who were actually involved 1 on 1 in the service of William and Harry. Why do you bother to regurgitate such tosh? Both will be in uniform for the rest of their lives and probably working 360 days a year well into their eighties, really cushy, eh

I have been through exactly the same flying courses as Wills, maybe a couple of years prior, but I still know how the system works. The average bloggs is not meant to get a specially tailored course with oodles of flex...with no change in QHI...at the wrong FT station...with plenty of time off for public engagements... then easily ditch the job after a few years to concentrate on being a 'working royal'. I have already said I respect the guy on a personal level for wanting to do the job, but you must recognise that a lot of it was stage-managed for public consumption!

Working 360 days? Please don't compare the work I HAVE to do in order to pay the mortgage and feed the kids with an OPTIONAL program of smiling at villagers, opening Fleet Reviews and signing red boxes full of paperwork. Yes you get chased by the papparazzi a bit, but it's a small price to pay for having financial security for yourself and your kids/grandkids...for life

I'm not a rabid republican, just a realist. I still think it's better having a Monarch than a President...I just don't believe in falling for the hype.

I cannot imagine any in the Army, or indeed in civilian life who could fill the role of SO2 Engagements, London District, as well as Capt Wales. His currency in PR terms is immense. Let's say the Army is trying to organise sponsorship for some sort of Tournament. Who would industry and media be interested in having a meeting with? Capt Kevin Snodgrass AGC (late entry) or Prince Harry? Arguably more valuable, in light of the draw-down, than being a line Apache operator

Thanks for making my point for me. If I could spend the rest of my career gladhanding contractors in Annabel's nightclub...I would! Good luck to the fella.

Hangarshuffle
20th Jan 2014, 18:23
Genstabler, ouch! I will take that on the chin but yes - a real job. Why not? Why not something away from the Royal Court, from the military, from London?
It is possible.
How many subjects have they? 60 million+ different people who don't read prune or get the military or the elites way of life... Just may be more relevant you know.

Do them good. Go out in anytown Wetherspoons instead of Annabels.

Danny42C
20th Jan 2014, 18:24
The lad done good.

Leave him alone.

Hangarshuffle
20th Jan 2014, 19:26
They're both good lads but I just wish they would get out with the hoi polloi a bit (for their own good and the future).

500N
20th Jan 2014, 19:33
I would have thought that Harry would have had plenty of exposure
to the hoi polloi as you call them as a Cav officer in command of a
Armoured vehicle.

One thing that is interesting is the photos and watching the videos of both of them when others are around, as opposed to Prince Charles. This applies to both in uniform and civvies.

Just from the body language, people are much more relaxed around the William and Harry than Prince Charles.

Tankertrashnav
20th Jan 2014, 21:52
How many subjects have they? 60 million+ different people who don't read prune or get the military or the elites way of life... Just may be more relevant you know.

They dont have any subjects, in point of fact. HM has some but not that many. Here's how it works

On 1 January 1983, upon the coming into force of the British Nationality Act 1981, every Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies became either a British Citizen, British Dependent Territories Citizen or British Overseas Citizen.
Use of the term British subject was discontinued for all persons who fell into these categories, or who had a national citizenship of any other part of the Commonwealth. The category of British subjects now includes only those people formerly known as British subjects without citizenship and people born in Ireland before 1949

Interestingly, I am of Irish ancestry, and so if I had been born in Sligo instead of Surrey I'd still be a British subject!

Clockwork Mouse
20th Jan 2014, 22:43
HS
[QUOTE]I just wish they would get out with the hoi polloi a bit/QUOTE]

What a strange remark. As officers in, respectively, the RAF and the Army, do you really think that the Princes don't have any contact with the "hoi poloi" as you call them? I know you were in the RN, if indeed you were in the Forces at all, but you show a very twisted perception of the other Services. But then it is the Royals themselves that you have a real problem with, isn't it, as you have revealed in other threads?

SASless
20th Jan 2014, 23:53
No matter the title....I bet the Inland Revenue folks will lay claim to all your Dosh.

Heathrow Harry
21st Jan 2014, 12:05
"I just wish they would get out with the hoi polloi a bit"

The son & 'eir to the HH Estates used to drink in the Guildford/Woking/Reading area - he said they'd often come across the two lads (normally separately) in various bars - some quite astonishingly common student type places.

No-one blabbed, no-one took pics, no-one bothered them

Genstabler
21st Jan 2014, 17:34
Hangarshuffle

'He would often reach the meeting point before the rest of his men and would build these incredibly lavish, castellated latrines, with battlements and loo roll holders. It must have taken him 40 minutes at least to build, they were just fabulous. I would often sit on the latrine thinking "this is a royal flush in every way!"

'Harry also massively helped me out when I was struggling with my skis at first. He was a great guy.'

His teammate Duncan Slater added: ‘Harry was a real team player. There was always something to do and he was always instigating it. There were so many wind ups. He probably spread himself quite thin. He would spend time with each team every day. He was always making sure he mixed, bringing everyone to the fore. It was very nice as he was as tired as everybody."

Quotes from some of the Walking Wounded hoi polloi who accompanied Harry on the recent trek to the South Pole.

500N
21st Jan 2014, 17:44
Gen

You beat me to it. I had just read that article and was going to post the same quotes.

You left out the quote about him telling some of the crudest jokes of the trip ;) :O

Gnd
21st Jan 2014, 17:45
Do them good. Go out in anytown Wetherspoons instead of Annabels.

You really think he hasn't? Read the papers and find out the truth (oxymoron I know). He's seen most walks of life; a lot more than some of the bleeters on here! Can't think of many better suited to this post and I certainly enjoy the historic pomp and splendour of our countries; so do a lot of others looking at the numbers attending the Jubilee etc.........

parabellum
21st Jan 2014, 20:45
Wasting your time trying to convince Hangarshuffle with facts Genstabler, you are up against a pre-conceived mind-set, not a fact founded belief.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/puppy_dog_eyes.gif

Heathrow Harry
23rd Jan 2014, 11:53
"Go out in anytown Wetherspoons instead of Annabels."

Weatherspoons was a step up from the places Young HH saw their Royal Highnesses TBH

teeteringhead
23rd Jan 2014, 14:25
And the odd pub in and around Shawbury saw them too.

(for the cognoscenti, the Fox of course, not the Ellie!)

Harry certainly turned to with pots and brushes when his Course did their community-engagement-paint-a-local-nursery-school bit as well. Some very flushed faces (and probably less visible body parts) amongst the teachers too. :E