PDA

View Full Version : CASA Chief Pilots Interview.

Duck Pilot
16th Jan 2014, 23:44
Can anyone give me an idea of what areas one should be fully familiar with to get through a Chief Pilots assessment interview with CASA. I have a fair idea what areas they will touch on and fully understand the obligations as I have had held a similar role previously overseas and been through the process offshore with a foreign regulator. I would be interested in getting some specific info from anyone who has done it recently with CASA.

Frank Arouet
17th Jan 2014, 04:18
Are you related to anybody in CASA?

VH-XXX
17th Jan 2014, 04:38
The owner of the aviation company for which you work doesn't have a licence. He's the guy that pays your wages and keeps you employed. What are you going to do when he continually flies company aircraft for private operations and sometimes takes people with him that you suspect are paying cash for the flight not through the books?

One of your senior pilots is constantly works backwards on his W&B calculations where he starts at MTOW and simply goes backwards from there and just adjusts the fuel number so meet up with the BEW. He has been cautioned before by the last Chief Pilot but the employee told the CP to go and screw himself. How will you deal with this situation should you become the CP?

One of your company aircraft recently made a flight that you are not aware of, can't find it in any of the log books and flight notes however a CASA representative was fly-fishing in the remote town of Orbost when it flew overhead at about 50ft causing him to lose his biggest Trout he'd caught all day. What do you do about this when CASA calls?

All real-world scenarios.....

Aussie Bob
17th Jan 2014, 05:51
Duck Pilot,

Study the ops manual of the company really well. Know the contents backwards.
Don't answer anything without first referring to the ops manual.
Look up relevant legislation for any (non ops manual) question asked, don't answer off the top of your head even if you know the answer. Point to legislation.
Know where to look up legislation, have it bookmarked on your Ipad or computer. As XXX points out, expect scenario based questions, although I have never heard any like his examples :rolleyes:. I guess it depends a bit on the track record of the company you want to "chief" for.

I have been through three of these interviews, two in the last three years, be yourself, be polite and again, look everything up. This is what is expected.

Your interview will also have a time frame, usually one day, make the most of general conversation, listen to the FOI's stories and sit back. Extend the story telling if you can. Every bit of time you spend listening passes the day nicely and keeps your head out of the books. Frequent tea and bickies is also good.

My belief is the CASA FOI will actually really want to approve you, at least, this is how the day will start.

Duck Pilot
17th Jan 2014, 05:53
Thanx guys Frank you make me laugh!