PDA

View Full Version : Irish citizen

Gally2
16th Jan 2014, 21:20
Hello,

Is there any other country (I presume European) that take on non citizens of their country, like an irish citizen, to be pilots?

what is the best way to get into and be successfull recruited by an air force? (apart from doing PPL, CPL etc)

Fg Off Bloggs
19th Jan 2014, 12:05
Apply! There have been people born in RoI who have been commissioned in the RAF.

Bloggs:ok:

Pontius Navigator
19th Jan 2014, 13:55
The PPL, CPL route demonstrates interest but other than that is of no real benefit.

Cows getting bigger
19th Jan 2014, 16:31
I'm an Irish citizen and spent 24 years in the RAF.

(For clarity, Eire and not Northern Irish whereby you could have 'dual nationality'.

Rosevidney1
19th Jan 2014, 17:37
The Army Air Corps has certainly had pilots from Eire.

Lou Scannon
19th Jan 2014, 19:03
and more than one man from the Republic served with distinction in the RAF!

JFZ90
19th Jan 2014, 19:10
Cows, very interesting, can I ask a question?

Did having an Eire nationality ever raise any issues for any ops? I suppose for repelling the Russian bear, it makes little odds, but other scenarios maybe it could? Or always irrelevant?

Cows getting bigger
19th Jan 2014, 20:56
No, none at all.

Algy
20th Jan 2014, 08:37
An Irish Airman Foresees His Death

I know that I shall meet my fate

Somewhere among the clouds above;

Those that I fight I do not hate,

Those that I guard I do not love;

My country is Kiltartan Cross,

My countrymen Kiltartan's poor,

No likely end could bring them loss

Or leave them happier than before.

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,

Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,

A lonely impulse of delight

Drove to this tumult in the clouds;

I balanced all, brought all to mind,

The years to come seemed waste of breath,

A waste of breath the years behind

In balance with this life, this death.

William Butler Yeats

Arm out the window
20th Jan 2014, 08:53
Fine poem, thanks for putting that up, Algy.

Pontius Navigator
20th Jan 2014, 09:47
Why does an Irishman take three times as long to do his checks?

To be sure, to be sure, to sure

hat, coat, scarf

Gally2
20th Jan 2014, 12:43
thank you all for your replies. Lovely poem and GOOD joke:ok:!!!!!!

Cows can i ask you a question? I rang the RAF and they said that i could not join the RAF as a cadet pilot unless i lived in the UK for 5 years? it seems that most countries require this now? Or does anybody know of any country that does not?

eastern wiseguy
20th Jan 2014, 15:47
The RAF once took a Puma to Monaghan......so coming the other way would seem fair.....:p

racedo
20th Jan 2014, 15:53
[QUOTEThe RAF once took a Puma to Monaghan.....QUOTE]

What were thy after ? Mushrooms...................

kintyred
20th Jan 2014, 20:16
The Cloggies took an Englishman into their air force. He'd done an exchange tour and liked it so much he swapped nationalities and stayed!

Gally2
20th Jan 2014, 20:56
Who are the cloggies??

Rossian
20th Jan 2014, 21:04
.....Dutchmen. I also knew a dutchman army chap who came and was an officer in the RAF. I can also recall at least three southern Irish officers in the RAF.

The Ancient Mariner

kintyred
20th Jan 2014, 21:07
Lots of Brits are off to fly Chinooks for the Canadians.

Gally2
20th Jan 2014, 21:08
The raf need you to be resident in uk for 5 years to be an officer. No other country allows non citizens to join as pilots

Wander00
20th Jan 2014, 21:32
We had a cadet from Eire on my course at the Towers - great source of salmon after each leave! Sadly court martialled for financial irregularity involving a Families Club in Germany

Gally2
20th Jan 2014, 21:35
Haha when was this and what country?

dmussen
21st Jan 2014, 01:45
The instructor I flew with most at basic (56 course Leeming) was from Tipparary. I am from Belfast.
We became good friends. T.C. loved his practical jokes and he got me a hum dinger one day.
The trip was dual general handling in JP 3 XM453 and he hammered me from start to finish. At the end of an hour he called a full stop landing after a few rollers and so we landed.
As I turned off the active I received yet another thump on the right arm followed by the words "Happy 12th of July you protestant bastard". Our laughter had to be brought under control so that I could see to taxi back to the pan.
I hadn't noticed the date but it was of course the 12th.
Beer was consumed at 1700 sharp that evening.;)

HTB
21st Jan 2014, 06:44
Kintyred

The officer of whom you speak retired recently with the rank of General (one * I think) in the RNlAF; his background was Jaguars, and that exchange you mentioned on F16. I took over from him on the Recce desk at 2 ATAF in 1992 (having formerly been a neighbour at Chivenor in 81/82) from where he left to become a Cloggie and join their air force; had to take up nationality to do so - and happily remains so.:ok:

Mister B

kintyred
21st Jan 2014, 08:57
HTB,

I bumped into him the other day and he is still loving life....who wouldn't when you get to fly a Spitfire from time to time?!