PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance

Kempus
16th Jan 2014, 15:38
Hi,

Quick question. Where can one get good travel insurance for a reasonable price? Most UK insurers require you to be resident in the UK for at least 6 out of the 12 months in order to take out a policy. Obviously being resident in the UAE I no longer fulfil that requirement.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Capetonian
16th Jan 2014, 15:38
See your PMs.

CaptainProp
16th Jan 2014, 16:07
My best advice is to look in to what level of insurance your credit card provider includes for "free" with your credit card, provided you use credit cards that is.

I have cancelled all other travel insurances we used to have and stopped buying extra coverage when going to the US as our credit card covers all we need. I have, on two separate occasions, had to make claims for cancelled trips and was reimbursed fully both times.

CP

Capetonian
16th Jan 2014, 16:19
I am wary of CC insurance, I beleeve there are a number of exceptions and 'ifs and buts'. I am probably being over cautious but I pay about £150 a year for full worldwide insurance for three of us and whilst it may be unnecessary, it gives me peace of mind.

As an example, I went to Iran a couple of years ago and my CC insurance specifically excluded that and a few other countries, whereas my travel insurance covered it.

Kempus
16th Jan 2014, 16:25
Thanks for the replies. I am looking for family annual multi trip cover. Oh and it would have to include ski and USA and Canada.

I used touchdown when I lived in the UK and they were very well priced. Will check what my CC covers me for!

lfrk
16th Jan 2014, 16:33
Travel insurance, Get the best quote on international travel insurance ? Lonely Planet (http://www.lonelyplanet.com/travel-insurance/?lpaffil=fbin1)

Check the lonely planet website.
I was very surprised and impressed, We used it last year, good premiums for a good price!
Also very easy to set up.

CaptainProp
16th Jan 2014, 17:56
I am wary of CC insurance, I beleeve there are a number of exceptions and 'ifs and buts'.

That's standard for all insurances. Don't forget, most CC companies are insured via / by the same insurance companies that you buy your regular travel insurances from. With my CC company the "ifs and buts" are the standard ones found in any insurance policy so why pay twice?

Kempus - As I mentioned in my previous post my CC insurance covers North America as well.

CP

yada.yada.yada
17th Jan 2014, 02:49
ihi-bupa have a great plan.

Kempus
17th Jan 2014, 04:43
Wow

Those lonely planet guys just gave me a quote for annual family insurance of $3945.80.

I was paying £125 for the same cover in the UK!!