PDA

View Full Version : MC rental in LAX -some info please!

birdieonfirst
15th Jan 2014, 04:44
Gents!

I got an LA layover coming up next week and want to rent a bike, preferable a Harley.

I have heard from several of the guys that there is a place that gives a good deal to EK pilots ($100 or $150/ day I believe...)

Anyone have any specific info please?

:ok:BOF

three eighty
15th Jan 2014, 06:16
eaglerider.com

what_goes_up
15th Jan 2014, 08:34
Eagleriders... Great bunch of guys. Used to get 20% but not sure if the deal is still on.

40&80
15th Jan 2014, 14:47
Get injured water skiing or motorcycling or doing any considered dangerous activities on your rest periods down route..... could invalidate any medical insurance your employer may or may not hold on you.....this was the case in Gulf Air in my day....just sayin .....basically you can do what you like.... but be prepared for you or your family to start paying big time if you get hurt or die.

Mister Warning
15th Jan 2014, 20:03
I would suggest that motorbiking in the US would be statistically safer than driving a car in Dubai.

parabellum
15th Jan 2014, 21:42
Unfortunately underwriters don't see it that way. In order to get the best, (cheapest), deal possible companies accept restrictions and exclusions.
As far as the company is concerned you are on a layover, in the company's time and it is your duty to be properly rested and fit for your next duty. I'm being devil's advocate here, by the way. Your company will have an insurance department, so it wouldn't hurt to check what limitations there are on the policy they hold on staff when they are on duty and away from base, expect skydiving and white-water rafting to be excluded!.

That said I doubt if hiring a MC is excluded provided it isn't categorised as a high performance or 'special'. Be sure to have a helmet, irrespective of the law, from an insurance point of view, if you are injured, sans helmet, you are likely to be considered 50% responsible for and therefore 50% liable for cost of your own medical problems! (Same as not wearing a seat belt in a car). Possibly the hirer can sell you a personal accident policy, with medical costs included, to cover the period of the hire, go for a high policy limit.

Sorry to be all doom and gloom, I enjoyed a good time down route as much as the next person but you would be surprised how many people don't give a second thought to any of the possibilities and ramifications if things don't go as planned, they are injured and now can't operate their roster and may have a whopping great bill to pay! (It is called being in Deep Sh*t!).

fliion
16th Jan 2014, 00:41
With above in mind - anyone know of a travel insurance product that's good value.

f.

donpizmeov
16th Jan 2014, 04:47
fliion,

I have been with Columbus direct, multi trip, yearly worldwide travel insurance for a few years. About $us350 for 2 adults and 3 kids (google Columbus discount codes for better deal). Seems to cover most stuff. I have also taken Car hire insurance for $50 a year that covers all insurance for any hire car taken worldwide Google will find lots of these. Makes car hire much cheaper when no dealer insurance is needed.

the Don

glofish
16th Jan 2014, 11:47
Do Whale-Jockeys really dare riding something with only 2 wheels??
If one fails, you might even fall, which could not happen with a four-wheeler!

(intended as a joke and only that, please!!!! :))