PDA

View Full Version : Last RAF Kinloss Nimrod named ‘Duke of Edinburgh’

30mRad
14th Jan 2014, 09:45
For all those who hold the Nimrod dear, a small article in The Scotsman on the Gate Guard being honoured:

Last RAF Kinloss Nimrod named ?Duke of Edinburgh? - The Scotsman (http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/heritage/last-raf-kinloss-nimrod-named-duke-of-edinburgh-1-3266598)

Best

30mRad

Party Animal
14th Jan 2014, 10:23
Good pick up 30m and thank you for starting this post. Nice to see the old girl looking so fresh!

and when the Duke of Edinburgh gave his support, that was another big step, given his affection for the RAF and the (Kinloss) base.

Absolutely. It was always a pleasure to host the Duke over coffee during his regular visits to Kinloss and even more of a pleasure chatting over his latest antics. A huge pat on the back all round for those involved including the RE unit based at Kinloss for allowing the use of their base (airfield).

Well done Morayvia and very best of luck for the future :ok:

betty swallox
14th Jan 2014, 11:56
Great job, Morayvia! Keep it up.

OafOrfUxAche
14th Jan 2014, 16:06
Nice to see the battered old relic being honoured in this way...

Party Animal
14th Jan 2014, 16:09
OafOrfUxAche,

Nice to see the battered old relic being honoured in this way...

Do you mean Prince Phillip or XV244? ;)

Basil
14th Jan 2014, 16:55
Will they instal a visitor recognition computer to make amusing but inappropriate comments? :E

thunderbird7
14th Jan 2014, 18:16
Brings a tear to the eye. We had the same hat size. In fact his scrambled egg titfer fitted me better than my own and I briefly considered doing a swap after he left it on the reception desk in the mess. Station was strangely deserted that day after a call for volunteers to fly with him and the 'guru' Taylor D for an SCT...

Now, repeat after me...

"Never fly with senior ranks, royalty or management"

foxvc10
14th Jan 2014, 19:06
Not sure about it, but could the st mawgan shack be called the duchess of Cornwall?

Courtney Mil
14th Jan 2014, 20:15
Excellent on two fronts: A wonderful tribute to a fine old girl and let's see them get rid of that one without causing massive offense. My Dad would really have been so happy to see this. BZ all concerned.

Shack37
16th Jan 2014, 09:16
Not sure about it, but could the st mawgan shack be called the duchess of
Cornwall?

I would think twice before calling a Shackleton Camilla;)

Biggus
16th Jan 2014, 12:38
Shack37,

Why?

After all, Shackletons have been called Florence and Ermintrude before now!!

Agaricus bisporus
16th Jan 2014, 13:36
So call it Miss Piggy, the Dutchess formerly known as Pork.

Shack37
16th Jan 2014, 22:16
Shack37,
Why?
After all, Shackletons have been called Florence and
Ermintrude before now!!

No, those were the stars of the program we used to watch on the crew room telly while griffons throbbed outside trying to attract our attention:)

Could call her Betty being the senior partner.