PDA

View Full Version : Amiens Raid 70th Anniversary

AirportsEd
12th Jan 2014, 19:52
With the 70th anniversary of the daring Amiens jailbreak raid occurring in February the annual service of remembrance will be taking place at the former RAF Hunsdon site at midday on Sunday February 16.
As 2014 is the 70th anniversary of what was surely one of the most audacious raids of WW2 the organisers (I’m not one of them) are hoping to make it a bit special and would really like to have some kind of flypast to mark the tribute to the RAF, RAAF and RNZAF crews which took part in that extremely low-level operation.
Of course, most RAF units do not fly on Sundays and as it takes place in February, the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight’s aircraft are all unavailable due to their winter maintenance schedules.
All I could suggest to them was perhaps one of the RAF’s long-haul types; maybe a C17 or C130 might, by chance, be inbound or outbound to/from Brize that day and possibly be able to able to route over Hunsdon. It is a very, very long shot I know and Hunsdon’s proximity to Stansted might add to the complexity.
Can anyone suggest a solution without changing the date?
Ed

rolling20
13th Jan 2014, 14:14
Check PMs Airportsed