PDA

View Full Version : Radio Scanners

LeicesterFox
12th Jan 2014, 11:38
Where is the best place to get one from that's not too expensive and what am I looking for if I want to listen to ATC

Mike Tee
12th Jan 2014, 11:51
Just Google "How to buy an Airband Radio". I just did, wealth of info out there.

spottilludrop
12th Jan 2014, 13:16
Im sure ATC will be over the moon you wish to illegally eavesdrop on them:yuk:

Skipness One Echo
12th Jan 2014, 13:40
Im sure ATC will be over the moon you wish to illegally eavesdrop on them
How do you feel about planefinder? Does that make you sick too?
flightradar24?

You're strangely anti spotter hmmm

I swore by my Yupiteru VT-225 for years, you can still get one on ebay for a good deal.

OhNoCB
12th Jan 2014, 16:07
I'm a fan of Uniden products.

Also, as someone who would be being 'eavesdropped' on (although not a controller) I really don't care and if it gives people who are interested in aviation something to enjoy then all the better.

One more thing to add, you might want to budget for an antenna depending on range. I have a handheld scanner and the rubber duck antenna that it comes with is not great, I bought a little mag-mount antenna and I keep it plugged in at home and stuck beside a window and it makes things much better. Make sure you get one optimised for the VHF(air) band.

SawMan
12th Jan 2014, 19:30
Please do be aware that there are places where listening to aircraft related comms is not legal. It's well known in the UK but some US areas have similar laws for use of a scanner in a car, even when not driving. Look for local scanner groups online- they can also give you lots of frequencies to listen for. In the US, having a Ham license overrides all local laws covering the use of scanners within the US, so I don't worry but you should.

And if you find a deal on a 2M ham band antenna which has an adjustable whip, by extending the whip as far as it will go you will come pretty close to what you need for AC traffic frequencies. Not perfect but works well enough and these can be found used at Hamfests for just a few bucks. You'll likely need an adapter for the antenna connector too, again just a few bucks. The tiny 'rubber duck' antennas are about useless, find a longer one and if it's for a handheld make sure it's very flexible. Not only so that you don't break it, but to keep it from piercing someone's eye if you or them move quickly. For outdoor home antennas, a "discone' antenna will serve you well and covers darn near anything else you might want to listen to as well. And with the internet comes many live rebroadcasts from scanner enthusiasts, and this can include AC traffic.

If you're looking for equipment to listen to AC with, remember that AC use AM, not FM, and a lot of radios which cover AC frequencies are FM only. Some do a fair job here anyway based on their receive circuitry if you're close enough. Once the radio bug bites you, you're hooked for life, but there are a whole lot of more evil things to waste your time and money on out there so maybe it's a blessing :ok:

Evanelpus
13th Jan 2014, 12:54
Im sure ATC will be over the moon you wish to illegally eavesdrop on them

Yawn.

Every now and again a newish member posts drivel like this. Don't take my word for it, do a search and make your own mind up. Quite frankly, it's been done to death and back.

Capetonian
13th Jan 2014, 13:07
spottilludrop: So this website is illegal? Listen to Live ATC (Air Traffic Control) Communications | LiveATC.net (http://www.liveatc.net/)

You might like to have a look at their Ts and Cs which fairly concisely explain what you may, and may not, in respect of listening to ATC comms.
Terms of Use | LiveATC.net (http://www.liveatc.net/legal/)

One Outsider
13th Jan 2014, 13:20
Get with the programme Capetonian. It is illegal to "eavesdrop" on ATC in the UK. That is the law, end of.

Capetonian
13th Jan 2014, 13:26
No need to be so obnoxious. The UK is not the world, some of us may have wider horizons than the UK, and I didn't say it was legal to listen in the UK. I made a general statement and as this is a globally used website, people can work out how it may apply in their own territories.

I am not sure (open to correction of course) that it is illegal to listen to ATC in UK, I believe it is illegal to act upon or pass on anything heard.

It is not always illegal to listen to ATC, even in the UK, so maybe you should get your facts right before you hit out.

The law regarding listening to UK air traffic. | Heathrow Airport Information (http://www.heathrow-london.co.uk/airport/plane-spotters/the-law-regarding-listening-to-uk-air-traffic#)

One Outsider
13th Jan 2014, 13:39
I am not sureObviously. Maybe you should be before you decide to share your uninformed opinion on a subject done to death here already. It is illegal to "eavesdrop" on ATC in the UK. End of discussion.

Skipness One Echo
13th Jan 2014, 13:40
That is the law, end of.
It is illegal to "eavesdrop" on ATC in the UK. End of discussion.
Never use "end of" in a debate, it's not clever.
It is technically the law of the land, it remains archaic and unenforced. Most airshows have stalls selling air band radios within earshot of the patrolling Police. In the wider world, particularly the US it is common to eavesdrop via the net. Tracking movements in real time is possible via planefinder and flightradar24, both of which are perfectly legal.

Indeed the BBC broadcast a fair bit of ATC recently on their recent LHR show on prime time telly. In short, whilst technically on the statue books, a blind eye is turned so long as no extreme violations occur. In this globalised world, I have no knowledge of what extreme violations may be. It would be interesting to list the number of air band radio handbooks currently printed in the UK to do something so terribly illegal....

So you're right, it's illegal, we're all naughty boys. However it does no harm and has been and remains a tolerated pasttime. End of :)

Capetonian
13th Jan 2014, 13:44
You mentioned the UK. I didn't. As I said, some of us have broader horizons than the UK.

The original poster didn't say he wanted use it in the UK (I note however that his stated location is in the UK but we are a pretty mobile community in case you hadn't noticed).
He may have a legitimate reason for wanting to listen to certain ATC comms, in that respect you may wish to look at the link I posted.
It's a grey area. Your use of 'end of' is incorrect, inappropriate, and aggressive.

One Outsider
13th Jan 2014, 13:53
It is technically the law of the land. So you're right, it's illegalThen there is nothing more to discuss. End of.

Capetonian
13th Jan 2014, 13:56
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUnEqjSIKTy0wVtnsnoCHaAyv2W1NBLr2cOeacdm9 PWHSdDPqh

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Jan 2014, 14:04
Some people would argue that black was white to suit themselves!

DaveReidUK
13th Jan 2014, 14:13
Contributors might wish to review this Sticky, with regard to the position in the UK, provided by our very own mods:

http://www.pprune.org/atc-issues/206063-listening-uk-atc-communications-law.html

Or, for those who can't be bothered, here's the conclusion:

"In practical terms, you are unlikely to be prosecuted for simply listening in, if discrete and sensible. However, if you pass on information from what you hear, through Bulletin Boards, the press, or by setting up a live feed, then it's entirely feasible to feel Ofcom's hand on your collar and an appointment before the beak."

defizr
13th Jan 2014, 14:22
So do I have to shut the little ADS-B receiver that I set up to feed info into flightradar24 then? It's 'passing on information'. Can I expect PC Plod to knock my door down? :}

Skipness One Echo
13th Jan 2014, 14:31
Then there is nothing more to discuss. End of.
Dad?
Some people would argue that black was white to suit themselves!
It depends, some people insist it's all terribly secret squirrel whilst blabbing tales from the office on a regular basis. All very confusing.
I recall BBC news also broadcasting the ATC from Manchester when a birdstrike was recorded on film of a departing Thomson B757. Do the BBC have a license to broadcast ATC? In short, Ofcom have much bifgger fish to fry. No one cares unless you do something mind bogglingly stupid.

I have been searched by Plod as with camera and scanner numerous times when the panic, er terror alert was high and not once, on any of those occasions was I marched off to Ofcom. Go figure.

DaveReidUK
13th Jan 2014, 15:37
Can I expect PC Plod to knock my door down?Well if you didn't before, you can now. :O

So do I have to shut the little ADS-B receiver that I set up to feed info into flightradar24 then? It's 'passing on information'.Clue: what does the "B" in ADS-B stand for ?

defizr
13th Jan 2014, 16:57
I'd better get a toothbrush packed then :}

magpienja
13th Jan 2014, 17:40
I have 3 all realistic...remember Tandy,

Anyway the last one I bought was a handheld the other 2 are base stations,

Got the handheld on ebay for under £20 over 10 years ago...still works treat,

Been listening to airband since I was a kid of 13...I'm now 60...never had a prob...just need to be discrete,

I found all my years of airband listening a great help in my use of the VHF in my microlight and getting the operating license for it.

Bye
13th Jan 2014, 23:07
this is the traditional loophole.

The law does not prevent you from using a device to detect the presence of signals / transmissions.

The law prevents you from using wireless telegraphy apparatus with INTENT to obtain information as to the contents, sender or addressee.

so if you are using the apparatus for the detection of signals say for DF work and you accidentally overhear stuff you are not breaking the law.

Then of course Offence 2 steps in to prevent anything you accidentally overhear from being repeated.

so the defence goes something like, " i was using my scanner to detect if their was the presence of radio transmissions in this vicinity, and it stopped on a frequency and i accidentally overheard stuff which i have kept to myself honest your Honour".

GB

Out Of Trim
13th Jan 2014, 23:28
My old Yupiteru MVT7100, Once the Rolls Royce of scanners still works great! ;)

SawMan
14th Jan 2014, 00:03
I listen with a few different Ham rigs. With two of them I have to be very careful to not touch the PTT as I don't want to interfere with anyone's day := On a good day at home, I can listen to 5 different airports, and I can hear ground ops and ATIS from 2 of them. For those with a shortwave set, you might find international over-ocean air traffic interesting too (if you can stand the static) and don't forget Military ops. Keep 121.5 MHz plugged in too- you never know what you'll find there but it WILL be interesting when you hear it.

Brian Equator
16th Jan 2014, 14:41
Evening all.

The Police say they will be round to arrest all scanner owners right after they've solved all the murders, robberies and burglaries.

Evey_Hammond
16th Jan 2014, 21:59
before the police arrive to arrest us can someone explain where 129.4200 has gone please? :}

T6NL
17th Jan 2014, 07:36
129.4200 does not exist as an aviation frequency (In actual fact, if it did exist, it would be just 129.420 as only a maximum of three decimal places are used for civil aviation R/T frequencies). The used frequencies are spaced at 8.3333333333 recurring kHz (0.0083333333333 recurring MHz), referred to 8.33 kHz for short. This gives 12 available channels per 0.1 MHz. As it is completely ridiculous to say ".........point 3333333 recurring" over the R/T, the frequencies are rounded to the nearest 5 kHz for ease and to reduce the chances of confusion. So referring to the question asked above, the adjacent channels would be:

Actual frequency R/T name

129.400 129.4 (the double zero is dropped for ease)
129.40833333 129.410
129.41666666 129.415
129.425 129.425
129.43333333 129.430
129.44166666 129.440
129.450 129.450

.........and so on. This is why 129.420 does not exist as an aviation R/T channel. Hope this answers your question.

T6

PS Can't get this to display in nice columns as it does when I type it in, but hope you get what I'm describing.

DX Wombat
17th Jan 2014, 10:11
(the double zero is dropped for ease)No, it's 129.40 to clarify that you have not abbreviated 129.25, or 129.50 or 129.75 etc to a single figure.
Amateur radios in the UK have the transmit disabled on airband frequencies. I don't have a scanner but do have two radios for use on the amateur bands and one as a spare for use in an aircraft - this latter can be used to transmit on the airband frequencies. I also have my CAA licence as well as my amateur ones.

Peter47
18th Jan 2014, 11:24
If you are an ATCO in the UK not wishing to be eavesdropped on, fine, but don't go to work abroad as it appears to be legal in most countries. The liveatc.net site doesn't have any feeds from UK airports and says that's its because of the law. I am not aware of any other countries in the West with a similar law. I can legally listen to many ATC transmissions from abroad on the web but not UK ones on a radio.

Then again most countries have a few laws almost unique to themselves some quite logical.

T6NL
18th Jan 2014, 16:03
DX Wombat, you say:

"No, it's 129.40 to clarify that you have not abbreviated 129.25, or 129.50 or 129.75 etc to a single figure."

That is not correct in the UK. In CAP 413 (the CAA Radiotelephony Manual), Edition 21, it is clearly stated in para 2.15:

"All six figures shall be used when identifying frequencies irrespective of whether they are 25 kHz or 8.33 kHz spaced. Exceptionally, when the final two digits of the frequency are both zero, only the first four digits need be given."

As a holder of a CAA R/T licence, you should know this, and not be posting incorrect phraseology online. There is enough of it being used as it is.

The way of ascertaining that a .250 or .750 frequency has not been incorrectly abbreviated is by using all six digits, and ensuring that any readback contains all six digits and ends in a zero, as shown in the final example of my previous post.

I am not certain about the rest of the world, but my reply was to a poster with a stated location of England, so I quoted the UK rules.

DX Wombat
18th Jan 2014, 16:35
Sorry T6NL, I should have checked as I haven't used my radio licence recently and hadn't seen that amendment. It has changed since I did my exam. :( I'm also unlikely to be able to use it in the near future. :{

ask26
9th Dec 2014, 09:34
Looking to start with RC model flying but with the advent of drones etc I'd like the ability to broadcast a "for info" to the nearest ATC unit with information of my intended aerial activities as a responsible operator. Commercial pilot already so comfortable with ATC use.

But my Q is, aside from in-plane mounted transmitters, is there a legal hand-held 108-136AM transmitter which can be bought off the shelf. I'll also be contacting the CAA with this for get formal approval so will be all above board but this seems a good place to get someone's knowledge.

Thanks.

magpienja
9th Dec 2014, 09:52
I far as I know..the max alt for a RC model is 400ft....keep below that job done....and well outside the legal distance from an airfield,

RC model clubs have been in perfectly safe operation for donkeys years...normally at least one in every town...your best bet is join one of those,

A friend of mine is a member...been with him once...a very friendly lot.

Nick.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Dec 2014, 11:47
<<there a legal hand-held 108-136AM transmitter which can be bought off the shelf.>>

There are but why would you want one? You could only legally use it in an aircraft. Any other reason would require special authority.

KBPsen
9th Dec 2014, 13:29
A bit of a peculiar idea you have, ask26. As magpienja suggested you should join a club. They will have a field to fly from, maybe even with a small clubhouse. They will also have instructors. It might even be a requirement to take lessons when joining.

superq7
9th Dec 2014, 14:25
Re using radio scanners, back in 1968 when I used to go spotting a Lulsgate the satco there had a strong dislike for people listening in to the tower, anway one day while I was sitting down with my earphones in listening to radio one I was approached and questioned by two men apparently from the Post Office they had been sent by said satco he was most upset to find I wasn't tuned in to ATC.
Btw being interested in aircraft led to one of my mates becoming an air traffic controler and the other an airline pilot and me bottom of the pile a fitter at Bac Filton.

magpienja
9th Dec 2014, 15:14
I used to listen in way before the days of scanners...early 60s...seem to remember I got my first manual tuned radio from Volstaic London...think thats what they where called,

Had many many hours of fun listing into Liverpool and Preston Radar with that.

Own my own a/c now.

Simtech
11th Dec 2014, 16:39
Close - the company was Volstatic, one of the first suppliers of airband receivers in the UK.

magpienja
11th Dec 2014, 17:21
That was it Sim...used to advertise every month in Air Pictorial....I had many many hours of enjoyment with that radio and learned so much.

ask26
14th Dec 2014, 09:52
Ok how about using an RPAS <7kg within Controlled Airspace. According to the latest IN 2014/190 no radio contact is required but don't you think it would be a courteous and safe thing to do if operating in that airspace - in addition to any NSF which again is not technically required.

So yes the question still remains as first posed.