PDA

View Full Version : Unemployed pilots

C195
11th Jan 2014, 20:29
Does anyone have any idea just how many unemployed pilots there are in Europe at the moment?

I know many, and not just guys with a new CPL/IR. Some friends with 3000+ hours, inc. 2000+ hrs in multi-crew airline operations are out of work.

Think long and hard before taking on debt for flight training.

RexBanner
11th Jan 2014, 22:09
Another 150 about to be dumped on the pile from Flybe and you don't even want to think about if Alitalia go under..

mad_jock
11th Jan 2014, 22:19
One of the dutch lads said there was 1800 unemployed at home.

RedBullGaveMeWings
11th Jan 2014, 23:49
Another 150 about to be dumped on the pile from Flybe and you don't even want to think about if Alitalia go under..

Hopefully Etihad will buy them by Spring 2014 and send away all those idiots that work as managers. Hopefully this will be a new start for AZ, but at the time being AZ is reducing its fleet. I am not up-to-date with the current situation, but A321's are leaving if I am not mistaken.

No RYR for me
13th Jan 2014, 08:47
One of the dutch lads said there was 1800 unemployed at home.

Now we take a figure that can not be checked, have the union double it, the press round it up and then we quote a pilot that cannot read...

The unofficial figure was 1200 and mainly fresh no hour CPL's, but the number is (slowly :bored: ) going down. KLM has taken on some, Transavia is hiring a few and a lot are going to SunExpress.

C195
13th Jan 2014, 10:16
I suppose that there are many fresh CPL holders who are looking for their first job. But that has always been the case. I was thinking more along the lines of experienced pilots who have lost their jobs, those who have some solid airline experience but who have ended up on the scrap heap due to P2F schemes etc.

Halfwayback
13th Jan 2014, 11:11
To answer your original question, it has to be No.

There are too many variables - old, new, experienced, laid off, at end of TR and line experience etc, etc,

Already this thread is being hijacked to the inevitable P2F so it is closed.

HWB