PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of training in USA

Gally2
11th Jan 2014, 16:06
I am living in Ireland born and bread there. I am close to cork airport who train people to become fully fledged pilots but I am hearing a lot about training in the USA. What are the benefits of training in the USA compared to Ireland? I know weather is a factor but is it also cheaper?

Could anyone recommend any flight schools in the USA to get in contact with?
And also what type of training school is needed in the USA to be allowed to fly commercially in Europe?

mad_jock
11th Jan 2014, 17:50
it used to be hugely cheaper to train in the states and a lot less hassle.

These days though with the security requirements.

The increase in aircraft costs

The number of EASA schools getting shut down by EASA removing there approvals sometimes with only days notice.

The increase in air fares.

The gap has closed significantly.

I would say its 50/50 these days if its worth the bother apart from having flown to cork many times in my day job the wx there can be utterly pants for weeks at a time. So it may be of benefit just to escape the :mad: rain.

Gally2
11th Jan 2014, 21:30
The rain does slow the training down a lot in Ireland and especially cork. If the cost is about 50/50 between the USA and Ireland then there would be no point in moving to te states to train I may as wll stay in Ireland? Could any current trainee pilot support this argument? Or is there a better way or cheaper way of doing it in Europe as well as the USA? I am just very confused

RYR_Jockey
15th Jan 2014, 11:00
If I might give you my 2 cents: while I appreciate that cost is very sensitive to everybody who wants to train as a pilot, the cheapest option is rarely the best. And that's something you can apply to more than just aviation! If you plan on flying in Europe then train in Europe. If you plan on flying in America then train there etc... While learning to fly in Ireland my be hindered by occasional bad weather, Irelands wind and rain will make you a far better pilot when compared to someone who only knows sunshine and a gentle breeze. You will gain far more experience even though you end up with the same number of hours!