PDA

View Full Version : Trial flight- what to expect?

Rwy in Sight
10th Jan 2014, 16:47
A couple of weeks ago I bought a coupon for a 30' flight that can be used either for a sight seeing flight or for a few touch and go. I decided to take the T&G options. I already discussed with the guy who would be the licensed pilot for the flight. I understand that he is not an instructor thus he clearly stated he would take the aircraft over the threshold.

When I was discussing with him I told him I like to use the coupon as a trial lesson. So I am contacting the great knowledge of PPRuNe what should I keep in mind before and during the flight?

Any answers would be welcome!

Rwy in Sight

Pace
10th Jan 2014, 16:56
RWY

If you bought a flight and the pilot is not an instructor but only a PPL I would be very cautious about the legality of what you have bought.
I am a bit out of touch on trial flights etc but i am sure others will advise you.
On a proper trial flight you should be able to takeoff and even land with guidance

Pace

DeeCee
10th Jan 2014, 17:05
I'm with Pace on this one. I would ask them about the legality of the flight as I have my doubts about it. I work at an aero club that offers trial lessons which are done with qualified Instructors. A sight-seeing flight requires an additional certification. I f they cannot satisfy you on these points, don't do it.

Mark 1
10th Jan 2014, 17:58
This sounds like the French 'Bapteme de l'air' which is apparently legal in France subject to certain pilot requirements and within an aero club.

The same arrangement in most other European countries would be illegal unless it was a trial lesson with an instructor or under an AOC.

RTN11
10th Jan 2014, 19:04
I would also question the legality, taking the last post into account.

Having said that, if you've got the choice of sight seeing, or flying it down an approach knowing control will be taken at the threshold, I'd take the sight seeing every time.

It will be a lot more fun for you as you will be able to relax and take a lot more in. If you're new to the environment of an airborne aircraft, you will want some time in straight and level just to see how it all feels, flying approaches early on really isn't fun, can be very hard work, bumpy, you're not sure where to be looking, the instructor will be pointing things out including gauges which you just won't be familiar with. This overload of the senses has been known to put a lot of people off flying by throwing too much at them too soon.

So take it easy, relax, and enjoy the flight.

Piper.Classique
10th Jan 2014, 20:31
Vol d'initiation aka baptême if done by a non instructor...has to be done by either a CPL or a PPL with minimum 200 hours, sliding currency of 30 hours over the last twelve months, approved by the club, notified to the club's insurance company, class one or two medical less than a year ago. There is a limit on what percentage of the club's activity can be in vol d'initiation, if I remember correctly below eight percent not counting open days, and it has to be in an aircraft normally used by the club.
You may fill all the seats, P1 does all the handling. Take off and landing at the same airport, no aerobatics, maximum flight time thirty minutes.

Or you can have a trial lesson given by an instructor, PPL or CPL, and take the controls. You can still fill all the seats.

No reason not to go sightseeing in either case, no point at all in doing circuits.

There are also various restrictions for the club on how the flights may be advertised and sold.
There are concessions on the thirty hours for pilots who also fly gliders.

French law, not applicable elsewhere

Pace
11th Jan 2014, 08:45
PC

There was no indication by the poster that this flight was in france under french regulations! Nothing in his post or details other than somewhere in europe

Pace

mad_jock
11th Jan 2014, 11:26
I thought the OP was greek.

In which case it really doesn't surprise me if this is going on.

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/527888-hero-aviation-blackmailing.html

I am sure the majority of greeks are law abiding and similar to ourselves.

But I suspect in this case we have PPL hour building who will claim that its cost sharing if caught.

You can't use anything about this flight for the purposes of gaining a license.

Piper.Classique
11th Jan 2014, 13:56
True, Pace. I was enlarging upon and clarifying information posted by Mark1. The French system is rarely understood by those outside it (and quite a few of those inside it)
Though I suppose the OP could be in France.........

mad_jock
11th Jan 2014, 14:25
I can't really see how the French system can be different these days now the EASA stuff is now European law.

Under JAR could understand why they could opt out and ignore anything they didn't like but now? How do they get away with ignoring it.

Piper.Classique
11th Jan 2014, 17:44
I can't really see how the French system can be different these days now the EASA stuff is now European law.

Under JAR could understand why they could opt out and ignore anything they didn't like but now? How do they get away with ignoring it.

Because they are French?

Talkdownman
11th Jan 2014, 17:52
Hausser les épaules…?

Piper.Classique
11th Jan 2014, 18:31
Bah ouaih. Tt a fait

Jim59
12th Jan 2014, 11:30

It's not 8th April 2014 yet when some pilot licensing derrogations end - most of the rest ending in April 2015.

Rwy in Sight
14th Jan 2014, 11:12
Bonjour a tous, hi guys.

No I am not in France but I read your answers. The trial flight is run under a local aeroclub. I contact them last night to use the offer. They sent me an application form to join the club. The guy I am flying with is a PPL with significant experience on sport flying - mainly landing and navigation contest.

So I understand I would be consider as a member of the flying club for the flight. We areed to handle the flight as a trial lesson but I am not sure if it is worth to get a log book and register it as a flight toward a potentiel PPL.Also, he agreed to give me some more time during the briefing.

Yes I am aware about the HERO aviation school although they did an offer for a very cheap PPL (in the region of 9.000 €) including all the hours but I did not take up the offer.

Rwy in Sight

DeeCee
14th Jan 2014, 11:49
I don't know if the regulations are different where you are, but this would not be allowed in the UK. Sharing the cost is ok (say 50/50 towards the total cost), but you would not be able to count this time towards your PPL. Describing this as a Trial Lesson is wrong as the guy is not an Instructor.

RTN11
14th Jan 2014, 11:58
You really need to check the legality of this flight, and what you're covered for if things go wrong. Sounds like there's no way this flight could be legal.

foxmoth
14th Jan 2014, 12:29
In addition to the aviation legalities of this, if the voucher say it can be done as a trial lessonI would also question the trade description side of this, a lesson must be done with an instructor can be logged towards a PPL and the time counts, a trial flight done as a sightseeing trip either legally or illegally, but with a non instructor, cannot.

airpolice
14th Jan 2014, 13:30
To return to the OP question:

You can expect the time to seem to pass very quickly.

Pezzar
16th Jan 2014, 06:02
I too would be wary of the legality, best book with a qualified instructor

Rwy in Sight
16th Jan 2014, 06:41
airpolice,

Thanks for the relevant answer.

As I have said I am considered a member of the club. I did try specifically to book a flight with an instructor but I was told that it could not be guaranteed.

The weather appears to be nice and I am looking forward to it. I feel like checking on line for the 172 handbook.

Rwy in Sight

Pace
16th Jan 2014, 07:35
Wasn't there a loophole once where you did not pay for the flight but paid for membership of a club ?
This sounds very like that!
If you are flying with a PPL he is in command of the aircraft but not licensed to instruct and you cannot log anything

Pace

mad_jock
16th Jan 2014, 10:45
it was still illegal because of the cost sharing rule.

foxmoth
16th Jan 2014, 10:51
it was still illegal because of the cost sharing rule.

Not UK so may be different, I would be surprised if it is though!

DeeCee
16th Jan 2014, 16:36
I don't think our friend is taking any notice at all. I wonder why he posted in the first place?

mad_jock
16th Jan 2014, 18:14
Most don't, then when something like the cranfield crash occurs, any knowledge will be denied.

Oh well.

RTN11
16th Jan 2014, 18:17
I don't think our friend is taking any notice at all. I wonder why he posted in the first place?

Indeed, it's very strange that no post about the legality of the flight has been properly acknowledged, the only real acknowledgement is that the time will pass quickly :ugh:

The only way this flight would be legal is if the PPL is paying for half the costs.

I doubt that he will be, so there's no way this flight is legal for anything. Don't put it anywhere near a logbook, unless of course you want to do the right thing and make life easier for the CAA investigators if they ever get wind of this.

Rwy in Sight
17th Jan 2014, 07:06
Thanks for the further advice on legality. Now,as I told before I am a member of the local airclub and we would contact the flight as a PPL holder and a member flying together. So it seems we are covered.

I told him I wanted to contact the flight as a trial lesson but he said an instructor can't be available for my flight so no logbook entries can be made. I still want to see if I enjoy flying small aircraft and see if I am any good at it, or I should seek another hobby.

Many thanks again for the advice. And obvioulsy I would post back here how it went.

Rwy in Sight

Pace
17th Jan 2014, 07:22
Just through interest how much are you paying for this flight (sorry club membership) ?
Why if this is a real flying club can you not request that you delay a day or two until an instructor is available? sounds all very fishy!

Pace

RTN11
17th Jan 2014, 08:27
It doesn't matter that you're a member of the club, if you're paying for the flight it is illegal.

The type of pleasure flight you are describing needs a cpl holder and an AOC, neither of which this club has.

To be a lesson, it requires someone with an instructor rating.

So unless this PPL holder has an instructor rating, the flight is illegal. If you pay for 100% of the cost of the flight, even if they dress it up as club membership, it is illegal.

How would you feel if you ran a taxi company, but someone kept turning up to the taxi rank in a private car and offered to take people home if they joined his club. He wouldn't have a taxi licence, or taxi insurance, so none of the over heads, but importantly none of the cover when things go wrong.

It's exactly the same here, without an AOC, you can not operate pleasure flights, without an instructor rating and authorisation you cannot operate a flying lesson, so just a PPL taking you up is illegal and if it all goes wrong you will find those friendly people you booked with denying all knowledge, and you're left with no cover at all.

Rwy in Sight
18th Jan 2014, 13:14
Dear all,

Sincere thanks for all your answers and for pointing the insurance issues. I took the flight earlier today (since it was paid for) and I like to give a feedback here. First of all your comments where on my head since yesterday.

So here is the story. I went to the air club today to fly on the appointment. I was asked to sign a statement that I am ok to fly with the club and I agree to be covered by the clubs insurance on its aircraft. We flew around the field for 4 touch and goes. I had a short debrief and off I went.

I do intend to check with the national CAA to check when is legal to fly along on a SEP and pay some money to the club. I definitely understand there may be some very severe issues about flying in a non-legal situation and also I need to check with my own insurance company whether I am covered when I fly on SEP no matter to the circumstances.

Rwy in Sight

airpolice
18th Jan 2014, 13:17
Hi,

Two questions:

Did you enjoy it?

Which country did this take place in and did you handle the controls in flight?

AP

airpolice
18th Jan 2014, 13:22
To everyone else,

What if the club "give" a ppl member the use of the aircraft free of charge, to show new members what the club has to offer. The Pilot has no need to pay half of nothing.

Rwy pays his club membership for a year, or whatever, and the club stands the cost of 20 minutes airtime and a landing fee, out of either what Rwy paid them or they take it on the chin as an introduction investment in Rwy with a view to getting his long term custom.

Pace
18th Jan 2014, 13:40
airpolice

It would give a much clearer picture if the poster of this thread would indicate what he has paid for this experience something he seems reluctant to reveal.
it could be the case that he has paid membership to a flying club and one of the PPLs has taken him for a free ride. Membership maybe a requirement of the flying club on flying club aircraft as well as to meet insurance.
One puzzle is the lack of an instructor to do the flight with him.
Without knowing what he has paid, what membership he has taken? Why no instructor available etc its hard to judge as well as what financial contribution he made to the PPL flight?
The lack of that information being supplied makes the whole thing sound fishy?
I paid x amount for non flying club membership and paid the PPL x amount to the cost of the flight. no instructor available because they were all booked up etc.
My concern is that he has had a big chunk of money removed which could have been better spent on a proper trial lesson where he gets to fly the takeoff right to an assisted landing.
A real deal flying club wanting business would surely want him to fly with an instructor as the best way of starting him off on a PPL course.

Something does not ring right about the club or the thread poster in his reluctance to forward that information.

RWY I looked at some of your previous threads all very polite and interesting!
i am sure many here would have been happy to take you on a flight without payment!

Pace

Heston
18th Jan 2014, 13:46
airpolice - In the UK at least that would definitely still be illegal (every wrinkle that you can think of has been tried by now). The cost sharing rule is very simple. What is being spoken about in this thread is quite clearly aerial work, see
https://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1428/SummaryOfCATPTAWANO2009May2010.pdf

RTN11
18th Jan 2014, 14:21
Without knowing what he has paid, what membership he has taken?

Indeed. If it was the market price for a trial lesson, say £70 for 30 mins, then it's definitely fishy, if it's more like £40, then perhaps someone else (hopefully the pilot) is chipping in for these hours.

Otherwise the PPL holder has a free hour for doing what is effectively a commercial flight, which is very definitely illegal.

airpolice
18th Jan 2014, 15:11
A couple of weeks ago I bought a coupon for a 30' flight that can be used either for a sight seeing flight or for a few touch and go.

Half an hour.

Pace
18th Jan 2014, 15:20
Airpolice

The very fact that it was a coupon for a 30 minute flight is very suspect in itself.

Selling a coupon for a sight seeing flight or experience flight is selling a specific experience not a club membership and sounds totally illegal.

Pace

PURPLE PITOT
18th Jan 2014, 15:50
We all agree that this illegal under easa, and illegal in the uk. Not all countries have fully implemented easa rules yet, and we know that this sort of caper is still legal in france.
This flight was conducted in greece. It would appear that there are no greek instructors available on here to fill in the blanks.
Still sounds pretty fishy though.

airpolice
18th Jan 2014, 15:51
This flight was conducted in greece.

Where did you get that from?

PURPLE PITOT
18th Jan 2014, 15:58
Perhaps i misread MJ's earlier post. It would be very helpful if Rwy could confirm which country the flight took place in, then we can stop speculating as to the legality.

Pace
18th Jan 2014, 16:02
This flight was conducted in greece. It would appear that there are no greek instructors available on here to fill in the blanks.

It would appear that there are NO Greek instructors available to fly his coupon flight either :ugh:

pace

Rwy in Sight
18th Jan 2014, 17:20
Pace and al respected contributors of this thread.

First of all airpolice yes I did enjoy it very very much. I already ran the numbers for the PPL cost of acquiring and how much it costs to fly after that.

Now I thought, I was clear but maybe "coupon" could make understanding difficult. Around Xmas an ex sent me a mail about buying a coupon,for Z Euros, from company "C" for a thirty minute flight to be provided by a local air club. Once I paid company "C", I was sent a voucher to present to the local air club to fly on their aircraft with a pilot provided by them. It was mentioned (on the offer and on the coupon) I could either do a few touch and goes or a sightseeing flight and I could take up to 2 friends with me. Company "C" sells coupons entitling purchasers to acquire product and services - very often at greatly reduced prices - a woman's haircut from 50 Euros to 20.
When I presented the coupon to the air club, I was sent an application to become a member of the club which I completed. What I see as an issue here is how the money I paid is registered on the club's book. Obviously I don't know that so I don't want to speculate. It seems a PPL holder can fly either from left or right hand seat so the PPL holder is sitting on the right seat and the purchaser of the coupon on the left (his/her guests at the back). FWIW now I am a member of the club.

I definitely spend some time reading how the British CAA is saying about cost sharing.

Rwy in Sight

airpolice
18th Jan 2014, 17:23
Rwy, I say again, in which country did the flight take place?

Pace
18th Jan 2014, 17:41
RWY

I am sorry but what you have been sold is totally illegal. A PPL cannot fly you on a Coupon sold as a flight neither can he take the right or left seat especially with you in the left. The guy is not qualified to do so!

As AirPolice has said what country was this in if you are not prepared to identify the club?

you may have enjoyed the flight as you probably would if you paid a PPL to fly you to Spain but that does not make it legal or insured if something happened to you or your loved ones on that flight!

and I ask again why no licensed instructor was available to do this flight with you?

Pace

Rwy in Sight
18th Jan 2014, 17:44
As some one said before, Greece. Behaving like a politician I did not deny it, I did not confirm it.:\ No I am not one.

How would be different if I had walked in the club (regardless if I am a member or not), give some money to a PPL holder, going out to fly and ask him to allow to fly with him/her?

Rwy in Sight

Pace
18th Jan 2014, 17:53
RWY

If Greece then I am afraid you have been sold something totally illegal and were not insured for that flight.
The Greeks do not have money so am I surprised ?

The problem is many other people will unknowingly be sold these coupons with maybe not so happy an outcome?

How would be different if I had walked in the club (regardless if I am a member or not), give some money to a PPL holder, going out to fly and ask him to allow to fly with him/her?

Because that would not involve an unknowing member of the public buying in good faith a coupon for a flight which is a commercial transaction and expecting a quality of pilot who is insured to fly them as well as that commercial operation having oversight from the countries aviation authority.

with a PPL you may get a good pilot but not trained to a standard expected for commercial operations or you could have got a bad one with little experience.
If a friend who is a pilot you know offers to take you up with him with a contribution to his costs thats your risk and at least you are insured.

this way the insurance would be void so other than suing the individual for your hospital stay or life in a wheel chair your mostly on your own.

Pace

RTN11
18th Jan 2014, 17:56

It wouldn't be different, that would be illegal too.

For it to be legal, the PPL can only accept an equal share of the cost of the flight, so if there are two of you on board he can only ask you to pay 50% of the cost, if there are four on board then he can ask for 75%, but he must still pay his equal share relative to the number of people on board.

And for it to be an advertised flight would also make it illegal, this cost sharing rule is designed for people the PPL knows, rather than to advertise for custom to help him build cheap hours.

airpolice
18th Jan 2014, 17:58
Rwy, the difference, in the UK at least, is that if you gave the PPL holder no more than half the cost of the flight, it would be legal, for you to be a passenger. As for the Trial Flight aspect, that's a different can of worms.

Instructing without a licence, or just letting a mate have a wee clutch at the controls?

I sooooo wish the CAA would clarify this.

PURPLE PITOT
18th Jan 2014, 18:24
It is all well and good us quoting UK/easa regulations, but this flight was conducted under current (not yet fully easa) Greek regs.

Is anybody here familiar with current Greek regs?

Still smells as fishy as crab bait to me, but not being familiar with their regulations, i am not qualified to comment.

airpolice
18th Jan 2014, 18:27
I thought that all Greek legislation was based on;

If you are a Greek national, then all's well that ends well.

If you are a foreigner, then if you have money you could buy you way out, otherwise you are going to jail.

PURPLE PITOT
18th Jan 2014, 18:30
Well there is that aspect!:ok:

Pace
18th Jan 2014, 18:35
maybe the insurance companies don't pay out regardless?

Rwy in Sight
18th Jan 2014, 19:33
Guys,

You are better at instructing and explaining things, law and notions that the post high school education in the country of beer and chocolate that I did attend.

In some random order:
Pace, I have a supplementary insurance cover in case I can't use the state health system. If I get injured in a car accident they pay for the treatment and that life in the wheel chair (a small allowance but they pay). However if I fly on a SEP even as a PPL holder the coverage is void. I would like to know (and I should have ask) what does the aircraft insurance covers regarding people on board.

Also, Greece finance's and Greek people money are quite a different stories still unfortunately. Too many people have money they shouldn't have the State does not get their fair share... Don't get me started on that.

RTN11, you hit the nail on the head by putting the advertising perspective on the thread. If I understand correctly it is ok to give a friend with a PPL my share of costs to fly with me around. And I can see the issues here. Advertising, not knowing the costs, paying a third party...

Airpolice, you were right about the time going very fast. Also the flight was offered as the coupon purchaser would seat on the left and manipulate the controls..I should admit that the when the email arrived, I saw it as an opportunity to get a feel what would it be to handle the controls of a SEP.

I wanted to consult the wisdom of PPRuNe and the local CAA before going ahead with my purchase but I ran out of time - before purchase period closed. I am inexcusable for the PPRuNe with all the time I spent here but to get the opinion of the CAA, I would have to drive to their HQ, submit a written request and wait a month to get an answer. I am thinking about the other people bought the same offer if they knew what they were getting into and how would they have react if they read this thread.

Anyway, I accomplished the flight without a problem, I learned a lesson and I lived to tell the tale. It seems PPRuNe has such a strong influence on my life that I was very concerned about the whole idea. And the discussion after it provided for a very interesting Saturday night. All of you kindly refrain from starting a philosophical question why I took this flight while I felt it was illegal and if I should have write off the money I bought against experience etc...

Rwy in Sight

airpolice
18th Jan 2014, 19:39
I think the most important bit is that you went ahead with it, and survived.

Now you know what it feels like, join a proper outfit, get a licence and do it as often as you can.

PURPLE PITOT
18th Jan 2014, 20:57
Rwy, you asked what the aircraft insurance would cover. The answer depends entirely upon whether your flight was conducted legally or illegally.

If the flight was legal, you would be covered for property damage and personal injury ( can't be more specific without seeing the policy document)

If the flight was illegal, it would cover nothing, it would be invalid.

We have not been able to determine which of the above applies, as there do not appear to be any Greek instructors/pro pilots on here to educate us on current Greek aviation law.

My "gut" feeling given the way the flight was sold and operated, is that it was probably illegal.

The advice regarding "cost sharing" you have received on here is specific to UK law. You need to check Greek regs before you try using it.

You tried it, you liked it, and you lived. Go find a reputable Greek training facility, with qualified instructors, and do it some more. Legally.

Best of luck.

Rwy in Sight
18th Jan 2014, 21:27
PURPLE PITOT,

Thanks for the answers regarding the insurance. I did not ask for the document but on the statement I signed there was a mention that I agree to be covered by the aircraft/club insurance and nothing more. I understand the insurance company would have searched very carefully the relation between pax and the club.

I just realised that my contract was with the club because on the voucher it clearly said: don't forget to ask the receipt. I did but I would ring them a request one.

airpolice and PURPLE PITOT, you make an excellent statement that it is good I enjoyed the experience and live to tell the tale. I understand that repeating the experience should be after careful planing.And obviously if I want to follow the path leading to a PPL I need to even more carefully consider my next moves. I feel everybody would agree that it is not worth paying for flights on SEP without building time for ones self.

Rwy in Sight

foxmoth
19th Jan 2014, 09:41
Everyone seems to be getting at the OP here.
Just to point out it was not the OP that was illegal, he just took the risk and got away with it, the person(s) operating illegally was the pilot and possibly the club and the person selling the voucher.

Pace
19th Jan 2014, 13:19
Defending the OP :ok: I was more bothered that he had spent a lot of money fraudulently taken from him when he could for the same money had a proper trial lesson! Yet this was under the guise of a flight experience token which is illegal and misrepresentation under the circumstances!

Lucky to get away with it maybe a bit heavy as he could have approached a PPL and begged a ride with a small financial gesture! He would equally have been at risk regarding harm to himself.

So we are really talking about illegality and lack of insurance not increased risk! Other than the higher training and skills required for a CPL.
So in that sense I was more bothered about the guy being ripped off to finance a PPLs hobby because that is all it can be to a PPL. The risk element is no different other than lack of insurance to a PPL taking family and friends up for a flight.

Pace

Level Attitude
19th Jan 2014, 16:10
So we are really talking about illegalityAre we? Not so sure.
EASA (when fully implemented) should produce the same
rules throughout Europe.
German Aero Clubs used to be able to offer "Air Experience" flights
and, I believe, still can:
Steve6443 5th May 2013
Here (https://aopa.de/entwicklung/upload/PDF/Aktuelles/BMVBS/130430_Schreiben_an_KOM_Final.pdf) is a link to a letter from the German Transport Ministry where
they state their position with regards the new EU regulations, namely
that they believe the VO (EU) Nr. 1178/2011 would negatively impact
flying clubs significantly and they require this to be reviewed and, until
this is reviewed, they would allow flights for clubs at a cost basis plus
cost sharing flights for PPLs.I do not know the current rules in Greece so the company offering an
"Air Experience Flight" voucher, and the club providing the flight, could
be fully above board.
The only difficulty being the OP wanting to change his "Air Experience flight"
to a "Trial Lesson"?

Rwy in Sight
19th Jan 2014, 18:18
So we are really talking about illegality and lack of insurance not increased risk!

Pace, again, my respect for the quality of explaining things in a simple way. :D

Level Attitude,
I think you gave a good summary of what I did by purchasing this voucher. Before buying the voucher, I talked with both the Company selling the voucher and the guy from the club with whom I flew. I wanted to see what it feels to be in command of a SEP and if I remotely posses the skills to acquire a PPL so I proposed to handle the flight as a trial lesson. (Other people bought this voucher and just flew around the city for 30 minutes). So I asked to fly with an instructor. The guy made crystal clear that an instructor could not guaranteed for the day and I was free not to buy the voucher but we agreed that I could have the controls for a long time and they would be taken if there was something wrong. I was seeing the experience as trial lesson he saw it as one more experience flight he had this day. In all flights (before and after mine) he was seating in the right.
I am wondering how things would have happened in Germany in a similar situation?

Any thoughts?

Rwy in Sight

DeeCee
19th Jan 2014, 19:55
I'm starting to think that this is a wind up. We all told you the real truth about this supposed Trial Lesson. You chose to ignore the advice and apparently went ahead anyway..

This is not legal in most Countries - please understand this and stop asking daft questions when we've already given you clear advice.

If you really want to take some lessons, go to a proper Flying School who know how to teach.

Pace
19th Jan 2014, 20:38
RWY

Well you have achieved what you want and appear to be happy!
So great !
Maybe you can buy a PPL training coupon ? I am sure they will do you a good deal and you could use the PPL for instruction ?
Sounds good

Have fun that is what it's all about

Pace

RTN11
20th Jan 2014, 00:51
Everyone seems to be getting at the OP here.

I don't really see anyone "getting at him" here, just pointing out that it was illegal, and for that reason could not be logged as flight training, and therefore probably isn't particularly good value for money if he has any intention of taking the flying seriously.

Also it will be awkward if an investigator gets hold of it all and wants to chat about it one day.

It's not a particular risk, if you know someone who holds a PPL then I'm sure you'd have no problem in going flying with them, but it's the level of cover that is missing in this case, and the fact the flight is illegal means that if things had gone wrong then they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Rwy in Sight
20th Jan 2014, 07:00
DeeCee,

The thread was not a wind up. However I am tempeted to change the title to remove the "Trial" word and add the voucher aspect. I am extremely aware that I could not log it as a trial / training flight, just as have fun experience. If your problem is the wording (and you prefer "I purchase a voucher for a flight with a SEP from the left seat what to expect?") I am happy to correct it.

Once again, I wanted to feel the controls of the aircraft see what it feels to turn final and all these things associated with flying. I did a lesson or two in martial arts (I think Karate and Aikido and I don't want to do it again - I don't have what it takes). I am sure plenty of other people bought a voucher, handled the controls landed with far less discussion that we had in this lovely thread - I am not being ironic here.

I have already thinking about the PPL and it was made clear from the people of the club that I need a medical if I want to log any flight time. I understand some of the issues associated with the PPL and I want to start reading more before I commit myself to it.

RTN11, Pace, if PPRuNe sells training coupon I would by one to fly with you guys. If you happen to head in my direction I would be happy to buy you a beer/wine or two for your patience with me.

Pace
20th Jan 2014, 07:32
I have already thinking about the PPL and it was made clear from the people of the club that I need a medical if I want to log any flight time.

RWY

From the way this thread has been going I was half expecting you to say that the club had a Nurse who could issue medicals ;) and that they sold Medical coupons.

If you want to go ahead do research how you are going to do that and with who and look at flying clubs around where you live

Pace :ok:

Rwy in Sight
20th Jan 2014, 09:52
Pace,

I think from the begining we put more consideration (beyond insurance) in this venutre that it was due. Although I am in favor of doing things in a legal way and tend to seek insurance cover the thread gain a life on its own.

As a matter of fact the president of the club suggested the path to the PPL but he refrained from mentionning the school offering the course. And although it would fit better in Jet Blast the company that sold me the original coupon does sell all kind of stuff even a coupon for a PPL with HERO aviation. No I did not buy it.

And to pay tribune to Slasher, if the nurse were to his like, having a go at the medical with her would have been intresting.

Finally it is intresting to see how much variations we still have in Europe despite EASA's efforts to harmonize rules and regulations.

Rwy in Sight

Andy_P
20th Jan 2014, 22:44
Legal in aus for RA-Aus I think, but not legal in GA aircraft, only LSA. I know glider pilots (power or not) only need an endorsement on the licence to instruct. Pretty sure its the same for an RA-Aus registered light aircraft.

Will check up on that, one of my staff is a rec pilot.