PDA

View Full Version : Flt Lt Mike Telford

Wellfield
10th Jan 2014, 16:28
Mike Telford served as a seconded pilot with the Sultan of Oman's Air Force in the 1960s flying Piston Provosts. He crashed in the mountains of Northern Oman suffering severe burns to his face and hands. Fortunately he survived, largely due to the help he received from some local Omani boys who guided him down the mountain. Mike returned to the UK on QFI duties - then he joined Dan Air. Does anyone know where Mike or his family are now? We have in mind to organise a reunion of those involved.

sharpend
10th Jan 2014, 20:01
No idea where he is now, but he was my QFI for a time at Leeming in the Sixties.

Top West 50
10th Jan 2014, 21:14
I think he lived in Bourton-on-the Water a few years ago. Someone at the Old New will know!

nimbev
11th Jan 2014, 19:50
I shared a ward (room) with Mike for a couple of days in SSQ at Muharraq while Mike was waiting for the casevac Britannia to fly him home. Temperature in the ward was around 100F with minimal aircon. This of course was in 1965 before we spent a fortune rebuilding the facilities (including a new hospital) and then gave it all to the locals when we withdrew from East of Suez.