PDA

View Full Version : Haemolytic spherocytic anaemia

NovemberWhiskyLima
9th Jan 2014, 15:29
Hi,

I have a query regarding haemolytic spherocytic anaemia.

I tried asking a FAA medical doctor about it but all he said was that as long my hemoglobin count is sufficient I shouldn't have a problem getting a class 1 medical.

The problem is he never stated how much is sufficient and has not been replying to my emails. I would just go straight for an examination but that's not cheap either and I just want to know before making an appointment. I have just come from a regular visit to my hemotologist and my Hb count is 13 while my hematacrit count is 36.

Would anyone have any info regarding FAA regulations?

I am intending to go for flying training in the States next year but before I quit my job and take the plunge I need to ensure that I can first pass the first hurdle of medical examinations.

Ulster
9th Jan 2014, 17:47
Sorry, don't know anything about how the FAA would approach this, but on the assumption that it would be similar, this is from the UK CAA's guide in relation to anaemia (different types not specified in this guide) :

Class 1
(b) Anaemia
(1) Applicants with anaemia demonstrated by a reduced haemoglobin level or haematocrit less than 32 % should be assessed as unfit and require investigation. A fit assessment may be considered in cases where the primary cause has been treated (eg, iron or B12 deficiency) and the haemoglobin or haematocrit has stabilised at a satisfactory level.
(2) Anaemia which is unamenable to treatment is disqualifying.

Class 2
(b) Anaemia
Applicants with anaemia demonstrated by a reduced haemoglobin level or low haematocrit may be assessed as fit once the primary cause has been treated and the haemoglobin or haematocrit has stabilised at a satisfactory level.

Hb of 13.00 or more is generally considered acceptable, and, as you can see, your haematocrit is actually above the minimum specified (though only just ! ).

Next step is probably to book a medical with an AME. :ok:

Radgirl
10th Jan 2014, 06:28
Your haemaglobin is normal and your haematocrit is unremarkable. 32 is IMHO hardly abnormal!!!!

So on your blood count there isn't an issue, merely your diagnosis. I agree you should go have your medical.

Good luck

NovemberWhiskyLima
11th Jan 2014, 14:09
Thanks for the replies. Good to know I'm well within the normal range.

Hopefully the anaemia is not gonna create any other problems. :ok: