PDA

View Full Version : FAA IR(H)- Do North Sea Companies prefer nothing at all?

Hoverer
9th Jan 2014, 00:09
I'm contemplating doing my FAA IR at Bristows Academy in addition with my EASA CPL Flight training as the IR in the UK is out of my budget.
My question.
After coming back to the UK with a frozen ATPL, will my FAA IR give me any advantage at all in the run for jobs offshore against a similar candidate without one?
Furthermore, will having an FAA IR (assumably in a 22/300) help in anyway when it came to getting through the EASA IR?
Lastly, with my 14 ATPLs completed, what kind of challenge do the EASA IR exams pose?

Comments and opinions received with thanks.

Hompy
9th Jan 2014, 06:03
Any IR is better than no IR. However, if you can find the funds for a UK IR it will put you in a MUCH better position. There are far fewer applicants with it than without it. My two pence.

paco
9th Jan 2014, 06:28
The IR exams are included in the 14 ATPL (H) exams.

2 tips for people doing the FAA IR then converting to EASA - make sure you do at least 60 hours of seriously accurate flying (not the usual VFR slopping around) and make sure you cover the ADF/NDB, which is not necessarily used in the US. Otherwise your training will be "as required".

As mentioned, any IR is better than none, and you may want to look at getting a twin rating while you are over there and it is cheap.

Phil

Chorbington
9th Jan 2014, 07:54
If there are pilots out there with JAA IR ME/EASA IR ME and cant get a job offshore, why do you think they will care about an FAA IR? If you want to get a job offshore you NEED to fit the EASA IR into the budget, they will not even look at you if you don't have it.

I would suggest to do the EASA CPL + FAA IR at Bristow Academy to then "convert" it to an EASA IR when you get back.

As stated, the 14 ATPL exams include the IR exams.

chester2005
9th Jan 2014, 15:50
@ hoverer, when you return to the UK with EASA CPL(H) FAA IR(H) and ATPL(H) exams completed, sadly you will not have a frozen ATPL.
Only when you have the EASA CPL(H) and EASA IR(H) and ATPL exams will you have a frozen ATPL

Chester:ok:

TimTooWindy
13th Jan 2014, 03:32
I'm hoping to complete an IR-H in the UK. Currently I am type rated on AS355 on my Australian licence, with 10hrs. I do not have this rating on my UK JAA licence but for the purpose of starting the IR how many hours would I need to complete to be "UK Type Rated"?. Hopefully not 8hrs.......3hrs or as required?.

I have 2000+hrs on the AS350.

I live in the Bristol area so Starspeed and Bristow's are the nearest IR training providers with AS355. Any recommendations appreciated?.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Sir Niall Dementia
14th Jan 2014, 08:01
TimTW;

Check the requirements in CAP 804 downloadable from the CAA website. I'm afraid it will probably be far more than 3 hours.

When you choose your school take a good look at the experience of the instructors, Rolie James and Dave Arkell at Starspeed will always have my highest endorsement. I dread to think how many IR renewals I have done with Rolie over the years and his knowledge and training methods are outstanding.

SND

TimTooWindy
14th Jan 2014, 08:52
Sir Niall. Thanks for the feedback re IR training schools.