PDA

View Full Version : Mental Health Question

LarryM15
8th Jan 2014, 18:22
How is everyone, I recently began ground school to become a pilot. Something Ive wanted to do since I was a kid. But there is a problem, we recently talked about needing to pass a medical exam. At first I thought no problem Im in great health but then I thought about something that happened to me as a kid between ages 12 and 15 (Im 19 now.) I had bad headaches so I was put on amitriptyline. Unfortunately I had a bad reaction to this, resulting in serious anxiety which I was hospitalized for. This led doctors to think I was bi polar for some reason putting me on more medication which just made things worse. This went on until I was about 15 (being hospitalized a few times) when one doctor said lets try and just take you off the medication. Well that was the key. I'm 19 now in perfect health with no issues and on absolutely zero medication. The part that makes it worse for me is I was only a child and my mother (who I no longer talk to) was the one who forced medication on me and would move me doctor to doctor until she found one who would agree with her. After I moved in with my dad he agreed with my current doctor, that I should be taken off all medication and as I said before I'm 100% okay now with no kind of diagnosis and on no medication.

So I guess my question is, will this be a problem. Technically I wasnt "diagnosed" with anything because I wasnt 18 yet but I just want to be sure.

Ulster
8th Jan 2014, 19:33
The part that makes it worse for me is I was only a child and my mother (to whom I no longer talk ) was the one who forced medication on me and would move me doctor to doctor until she found one who would agree with her

That's the sort of story that's usually called "Munchausen by Proxy" ; it sounds as if you are much better off in your current situation !

Can't speak with any confidence about the USA, but here in the UK a story like that should not create too much problem in getting an aviation related medical (of any class) so long as the essential details can be credibly verified. That might involve, for example, statements from your father, and maybe also your present doctor, relating to how you were unnecessarily medicated. Even better would be evidence from any doctors who were "pressurised" by your mother, but few if any would be likely to admit to having yielded to such pressure !

Good luck with your flying ambitions ! :ok:

AngioJet
8th Jan 2014, 19:39
Go and see an AME, they'll be able to give you a more realistic assessment of whether you're likely to have any trouble with your medical certification. Just from reading your post it doesn't seem too likely to present any probs but a more detailed history and review is required.
Good luck!

LarryM15
8th Jan 2014, 19:41
Thanks for the response. Not that this is the place to go into serious detail but I just started expecting my mother of Munchausen by Proxy when the same thing started happening to my sister (same medication and everything.)

Only thing I see as an issue is I dont even have a current doctor, is it possible for me to get an evaluation from a diffrent doctor and use that, especailly now since I'm over 18

AngioJet
8th Jan 2014, 20:42
I don't know where you're based but if you're in the UK, go and register with a local GP. For specific aeromedical assessment, you'll need an aeromedical examiner (AME). AMEs can be found on the CAA website Medical Examiners Database Search | Medical | Personal Licences and Training (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?appid=21)

If you're based outside of the UK I'm not much help I'm afraid...

Good luck!:ok:

Ulster
8th Jan 2014, 21:36
Only thing I see as an issue is I don't even have a current doctor, is it possible for me to get an evaluation from a different doctor and use that, especially now since I'm over 18

Seems an entirely reasonable and realistic way to progress forward !

As Angiojet says, the exact procedures will vary in different countries ; here in the UK we all have our NHS general practitioners, and his link was to CAA approved AME's. Your equivalents in the States may be Family Physicians, and aviation doctors approved by the FAA ( I believe also known as AME's ! ).

Do let us know in due course how you get on ! :ok:

Robot1
16th Jan 2014, 00:02
Hi Larry

I'm not sure we're your based,, but I'm assuming from your profile it's the US.. Anyway,, I've recently regained my medical after 5 years on SSRIs.. I'm based in Ireland, were the aviation authority still have no protocols in place to allow flying on these meds. Once I had discontinued the meds, there was no problems with recertification, other than attending the resident psychiatrist who was highly pragmatic about the situation. This has to be way assessing docs look at the situation, because if the medical demanded that a pilot / ATCO never have a mental health issue, the skies would be a lot less populated.

If you are US based, I know that the FAA allow the use of some antidepressants, and this can only (I hope) be an indicator of the attitude to mental health in general.

I had no problem with recertification in a country which is a lot less progressive than your own,, I would declare,, I don't think it will be a problem

gingernut
16th Jan 2014, 00:45
I'd question the diagnosis of "bi-polar"