PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Registered Aircraft Base in Asia

riddlejason
8th Jan 2014, 13:09
Hello Everyone,

Hope all is well.
Does anyone know what are the considerations to base a Canadian registered aircraft in Asia? Some say an AOC is needed for aircraft above 12,500lbs. Much appreciated your inputs.

Have a nice day!
J

noneya
8th Jan 2014, 20:23
Probably the guy with the AOC is telling you that!

CaptainProp
8th Jan 2014, 20:52
I'm pretty sure the rules vary a lot depending on which country you would base the aircraft in. I would contact the authorities in the specific country you are looking at.

CP

envoy
8th Jan 2014, 22:37
Can you be more specific about which city/country you are looking at? Asia is a very large continent, and unlike the EU there is no amalgamated approach to such issues.

There are plenty of foreign-registered aircraft based in Asian cities without recourse to an AOC. CaptainProp's advice is best - talk to the local civil aviation authority, make sure you can 'base' an aircraft in the specific location and what their requirements might be. Some countries seem to look the other way in this regard.

There will be issues with foreign crew - make sure you figure out whether the crew will be able to obtain work permits/residence permits to work and live in location long term - or if they will have to find a solution using short-term visas. No residence permit equals no spouse/family - or lots of $$$ spent shuffling dependents in and out of the country to keep immigration happy.

Good luck

Flying Mechanic
9th Jan 2014, 01:52
If it's for private ops, no need to get a AOC.
Most N reg aircraft you see in HK are privately operated under part 91 FAA

riddlejason
9th Jan 2014, 09:23
Thank you very much for everyone's inputs. To answer Envoy's question, the specific area we are looking at is HK and China. It will be a private ops. I had talked to people who have close working relationship with both the HK CAD and the CAAC. They said there are not special requirements for Canadian registered aircraft as far as obtaining local overfly and landing permits goes. Another big issue is technical support, there are not many TC approved MROs in the region. But I was told there is a bilateral agreement between the TC and FAA that A&P can sign-off TC aircraft, a very good news.

FrankR
9th Jan 2014, 10:02
First off, saying "HK and China" is like saying "Canada and Mexico"... Two very, very different places. Second, while I don't have a scorecard, I'm not aware of any aircraft based in HK or China that are not under someones management control...

FR

riddlejason
9th Jan 2014, 11:15
Thank you for your input, FrankR. I would think that there maybe a few aircraft are being self-managed in HK. But again, I agree with you that most of the HK based bizjets are being managed by companies. Well, some time there is just not enough hours in a day to fly and manage at the same time : ).

FLEXJET
10th Jan 2014, 13:48
Jason, are you writing about the grey 2000LX?
C-reg should not be an issue for HKG but parking might be a big one. Good luck for that.

MxOps
10th Jan 2014, 23:41
Careful - A&P may only release C Reg aircraft located IN USA

envoy
11th Jan 2014, 08:23
Saw the silver-grey Falcon at HKBAC this morning. Nice looking jet - but it won't be long before the Pearl River Delta air has its way with the paint finish!

As Flexjet mentioned, parking in HKG is a big issue now - the airport authority can (and does) tell you not just to reposition to the other side of the airport, but to Macau/Shenzhen/Clark/Taipei, wherever you can get a landing permit. A bit random, and often at short notice. We were scheduled to arrive late evening one day last week, and the airport wanted us out of there no later than 1800 the next day. On a previous visit they wanted us out of there within a few hours. I am unsure how the airport authority apportions priority, but if you are working for one of the old-money HK families you would be looking pretty good, I should think.

ahramin
12th Jan 2014, 23:39
Riddlejason, you will not need an AOC, but you will need a POC (Private Operator Certificate) to operate a private Canadian registered jet.

Prohibition
604.03 No person shall, without a temporary private operator certificate issued under section 604.05, operate any of the following Canadian aircraft for the purpose of transporting passengers or goods:

(a) a turbo-jet aeroplane; or
(b) a large aeroplane.

Getting a POC will include an audit and TC stamp of approval on your Maintenance Schedule Approval, Safety Management System, Operations Manual, Training Manual, Operations Manager, Chief Pilot, Person Responsible for Maintenance, ad nauseum.

Feel free to pm me for more details.