PDA

View Full Version : F1 Race prep.

Unusual Attitude
8th Jan 2014, 12:26
Afternoon all,

Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that would have experience of doing some F1 race prep on a Cassutt with a stock 0-200? I know its been about 25 years since people did much of this sort of thing in the UK!

Not looking to compete with the Reno boys, just allow the engine to turn some more revs with a race prop and sort out the aerodynamics a bit.

Keen to hear from anyone who can carry out the work?

Regards

UA

Ridger
8th Jan 2014, 17:36
Crikey - that's quite a tall order.

The only place I'm aware of that could help with the engine is Nicholson McLaren - I believe they've done some RBAR prep and they are a Continental approved outfit and have an excellent reputation: Experimental Engines | Nicholson McLaren (http://www.nicholsonmclaren.com/index.php?id=28)

They won't be cheap but at least it won't go bang. Hopefully. If it does, at least you can admire the quality parts whizzing past the canopy.

As for tweaking the aerodynamics - assuming you don't require a wind tunnel for serious tweaks (!) then Pete Wells at Zulu Glasstek has done some fairing work on RBAR machines and has a wealth of experience in metal and particularly composite. His workmanship is absolutely first class so if you're looking for a new cowling and some tidying up he'd be perfect. I expect he'll know the ropes with LAA approval as well of course.

Zulu Glasstek - Composite Repairs, C of A work, instrument fitting and painting for Gliders & Sailplanes, UK agents for Alexander Schleicher Sailplanes and Silence Aircraft (http://www.zuluglasstek.co.uk/)

I expect our American cousins are much more current with this sort of tweaking - might be worth seeking some advice there?

'Chuffer' Dandridge
8th Jan 2014, 18:30
UA, sent you a PM..

CD

Mark 1
8th Jan 2014, 20:34
Roger Targett at Nympsfield did some magic with Steve Jones' Red Bull machine. I think they found another 20 knots or more.

Unusual Attitude
9th Jan 2014, 08:09
Thanks gents for all the leads.

Regards

UA

Ridger
9th Jan 2014, 09:23
+1 for Roger Targett as well, another good guy.

Richard Grace at Duxford may also be of help - he ran three Cassutts for quite a while, he's a top bloke, knowledgable and helpful.

Aniother engine lead is AEP, also have a good rep and do the sort of fettling you might be after. Again, they are Continental savvy. Aero Engineering & Powerplant - Home (http://www.aepengines.com/index.php?section=1053)

Will keep my eyes peeled for a +200kt Cassutt whizzing about then...

Marchettiman
9th Jan 2014, 10:02
Used to own and race both slab wing and taper wing Cassuts as well as the Cosmic Wind. Remember paying a lot of attention to cooling boxes and ducts, using a lot of speed tape and being brave with Sensenich metal props when going through vibration nodes at 3200rpm (if my memory serves me well).

Unusual Attitude
9th Jan 2014, 11:45
Thanks gents, great feedback!

Richard Grace at Duxford may also be of help - he ran three Cassutts for quite a while, he's a top bloke, knowledgable and helpful.

I know he did, I bought one of them from him!! ;) Have asked the question if he's interested in doing some prep work but he's a very busy bloke with his business and flying with the Trigg team.

Used to own and race both slab wing and taper wing Cassuts as well as the Cosmic Wind. Remember paying a lot of attention to cooling boxes and ducts, using a lot of speed tape and being brave with Sensenich metal props when going through vibration nodes at 3200rpm (if my memory serves me well).

Thanks Marchettiman, I already have cooling boxes fitted I assume as a leftover from when mine used to race in the late 80's. Speed tape will be next then figuring out what I need to do with the engine and prop without spending megabucks! What engine mods did you do and what sort of race RPM's did you use if you dont mind me asking?
I note some of the Reno teams run blueprinted engines at 4300 RPM with carbon props, thats after putting circa USD 40k into the engine first and only getting 15hours out of it! I'm not planning on being anywhere near that league!

I also need to be able to fly it the 7hrs home after the event so dont want to destroy my engine during the race! :}

Regards

UA

john ball
9th Jan 2014, 13:50
Back in the 70's and 80's the Tiger club Pilots had all the main F1 racers.
Several Cassutts, and a couple of Cosmic Wind's.

Speak to :-

Brian Smith ( he flies with the Fighter Collection ) had a Cassutt.
Steve Thompson - used to have a very fast Cassutt and took it to Reno.
Robin Voice -- used to have both a Cassutt and Cosmic. He wrote an article recently about fuel caps in one of the Mags.
Or try Pete Kynsey at Fighter Collection, for some of their contacts.

I do remember the Cassutts getting slimmer each season and faster.

Unusual Attitude
9th Jan 2014, 15:48
Thanks everyone, I think I now have a plan, just need confirmation that the event will be going ahead before I start spending money!

Regards

UA

cambioso
9th Jan 2014, 21:01
Which event are you talking about? Spain maybe?
PM me for a chat.
Jez

Unusual Attitude
9th Jan 2014, 21:18
Jez,

I'll ping you an email, seems you were contacted by Martin at the same time as me so I've got your details from that.

UA