PDA

View Full Version : ASG

muchacho
13th Nov 2001, 08:11
I contacted Otto and they want $10,000 secured before you even visit their site. However I have talked to only one person who went through the training and feed back was very +ive. Any comments about them is greatly appreciated.

Avenger
13th Nov 2001, 14:31
Muchacho,

About 3yrs ago when things were a bit slow I looked at doing the ASG course with a view to swopping from T/P to business jet full time. I have no reasons to think that the ASG scheme is not bonefide, however at the time OTTO himself was getting quite a lot of bad press from some scheme he had in Holland and Europe and I'm sure there are plenty of old threads if you search to look into this.
The real question is, what do you end up with? some of these pay-to-fly programs are not recognised type ratings and bearing in mind you not only have to pay about 32K, you also have to support yourself for 9-12months. The usual complaints with these types of schemes is lack of a/c availability and sharing a/c time with two or three other guys in the same boat as you. If you look at things realistically, with no hours or less than say 200 on type, then no commercial operation is going to let you operate as a single FO on a heavy type, or on a two crew biz jet, its just not worth the risk.
If the temptation is to go for the citation rating or a small biz jet, ask the likes of HAMBLIN at LTN what they expect in experience terms.
The FAA type rating is not able to be endorsed on your UK or JAR license, unless you have done an approved TRTO course or have and unfrozen ATPL and significant time on type.
My advice would be to get a precise breakdown on the course.
Ground school-Who does it and how lomg does it take? are meals and accomodation included?

Type conversion- Where's the sim, who does the training adn how long does it take, what about license requirements, where do you do the intial circuits, and what happens if you have to be re-coursed? where do you stay, and is food and accomodation included?

From here you then need a definate start date to fly, if it sounds woolley, don't go there.

If you can't get this info without paying 10k,walk away.

There were som recruitment consultants in Northampton, Wallace Hind LTD, who used to deal with this ASG outfit, may be worth a call. If the answer is " we no longer work with them" forget it, on the other hand you may well get a shining approval, at least it's another opinion.

If you have a Uk or Jar license, and you really want to spend this sort of dough, then why don't you talk to a few UK Biz jet operators or T/P companies and try and negotiate a self-funded type rating and follow up program. If it's not costing them anything you may be lucky.

None of these programs guarantee employment at the end, and bearing in mind if you were offered a job say in the US you would not be allowed to take it as you have no green card!
A similar situation occurs in some parts of europe, so beware.

Best of luck