PDA

View Full Version : Co-pilot positions in the future

Helohelo
8th Jan 2014, 10:40
Low timer pilot 215 hours JAR-FCL CPL-H + IRH ME.
Will I get a job?:confused:

Hot_LZ
8th Jan 2014, 12:26
You should really have conducted your homework and asked that question before you got your qualifications.

A lot depends on your situation. Where are you from, willing to relocate etc?

LZ

Helo-Helo
8th Jan 2014, 12:49
Hi name-mate..

Strange but I'm in exact the same position as you are. Low timer and already waiting two years for a FO job. Not one invitation from a single company. Called, emailed and visit a lot of persons/companies. It seems that the offshore companies don't 'bond' that easy as they used to do with type ratings, at least that's my opinion.

2,5-3 years ago some Belgium and Dutch guys joined different offshore operators. Also very low hours and same qualifications as we had. Perhaps it has to do something with the OGP requirements that have changed. I'm not sure .. At least try to study and re-study over and over again for the single shot opportunity that can appear out of the blue, and stay positive!

Helohelo
8th Jan 2014, 13:28
Hi HOT_LZ

I wrote a little short.
I'm living in Europe, willing to move ofcourse, I'm 23 years old and seems like a normal person.

I did my homework, but now that I'm finally in the program I was wondering about oppurtunities this year and the following years.

If there is no job oppertunities this year, I think I'll wait with the practial flying part, because It's only valid one year etc etc...

I know some companies have hired people with 200 hours and a IR-H rating, but I'm just wondering if someone knows how this year looks for new IR-H pilots.
I also heard that people with 1000 hours total 200 ME+++ is overqualified for the jobs. Some companies like fresh IR-H pilots so they can teach them from start.

Hi name-mate, It's a hard life, but we just have to fight for what we want and never give up! Now I'm all in to get a job with an IR-H rating!
I have been without a job in three years. Only been loadmaster and helping people get in and out of helicopter on events and stuff. Never logged one hour in a company. Just worked for free many months!

For thoose who waits, things will be good!

mac oz
8th Jan 2014, 16:46
i'm 29 with 230hrs jar CPL+IR multiengine... 40hrs turbine ... 2years looking for a job ....

chester2005
8th Jan 2014, 16:58
I am 43 years old,(today) FAA CPL/IR(H) and JAA CPL/ME IR(H) FI(H) with 450 hours total (310 RW and 140FW) including 90 turbine RW. and R22 R44 B206 and EC135 ratings
No positive reactions from any of the companies contacted.
Still looking for job after nearly 2 years.

Not good Chester:ok:

Helohelo
8th Jan 2014, 20:47
mac oz, what comapnies have you tried?
Have you got an interview once?

Chester 2005, should think you very a strong candidate with all those ratings and hours. I'm sorry to hear that. What companies have you tried?
Happy birthday, hope you have a great evening:ok:

It's got to be one of the toughest places to get a job, but if you fight long enough things will happen eventually!

mac oz
8th Jan 2014, 21:05
big : chc bristow avincis... I always applied for open positions...no interview, no other feedback.
and other "less important" company across europe (uk,spain,portugal,italy,france,swiss,poland...)

chester2005
8th Jan 2014, 22:29
@helohelo thank you for the birthday greeting, i have tried CHC Bristow and Bond in the UK, NHL and Inaer in Europe.
they all seem to want something i haven't got eg. 750 hrs RW, 500hrs multi crew, AW139/AS225/AS365 type ratings

Chester:ok:

terminus mos
9th Jan 2014, 02:08
An example of an oil and gas company (OGP related) requirement would be

300 TT IR and 25 on type for a helicopter < 5700kgs (S-76/ 365 etc)

500 TT IR and 50 on thyme for a helicopter > 5700kgs

The OGP requirements have not changed recently and they are straightforward as abve.

It's probably not so much your individual experience but there are others available with more experience more closely matching helicopter operator requirements.

Helohelo
9th Jan 2014, 06:40
Okay

I think that's strange. From Bond I have an email saying they accept co-pilots with 200 hours minimum and IR-H.
I also seen pilots doing that so it is possible!

Just have to take my chances!
I will have my IR-H in May, June I hope!

Where did you take the practical flying part?
Does it matter if you fly AS355 or EC135?
I think i might take ME, because the helicopters offshore have it.
Maybe it's preferable for the companies....
I've seen Bond have an IR-H school, is that good?

time2leave
9th Jan 2014, 06:47
6000TT 3000 Multi-Crew Heavy Mil Turbine Heli

No spare cash for the IR(H) so no chance of getting to interview

Bravo73
9th Jan 2014, 07:42
Does it matter if you fly AS355 or EC135? Not really. But AS355 is old ('steam driven') tech whilst the EC135 is current (glass cockpit) tech. With an eye to the future, I would do it on the EC135.

I think i might take ME, because the helicopters offshore have it. Definitely ME, if you can.

I've seen Bond have an IR-H school, is that good? Yes. Bristow also have an IR school in Gloucester. Both are good. And if you attend either, treat the course as an extended 'pre-interview'.

Bravo73
9th Jan 2014, 10:14
No spare cash for the IR(H) so no chance of getting to interview

Given the current demand for offshore pilots, that might be changing in the near/medium future.

terminus mos
9th Jan 2014, 10:22
Strange it may be Helohelo, but since it comes straight out of our Company Aviation Manual, it is a matter of fact.

Bond may well accept you with 200 hours, I hope they do so that you get a good start in the industry. However, without a waiver from our Aviation Department, you wouldn't be flying our passengers until you had 300 or 500 hours respectively.

Bravo73
9th Jan 2014, 10:27
Bond may well accept you with 200 hours, I hope they do so that you get a good start in the industry. However, without a waiver from our Aviation Department, you wouldn't be flying our passengers until you had 300 or 500 hours respectively.

TM, your company is obviously OGP compliant. However, as you are no doubt aware, not all of the NS customers are. Hence why some contracts don't require a minimum of 300/500hrs.