PDA

View Full Version : MS / Parkinsons

flightknight
8th Jan 2014, 03:07
Any pilots flying with MS/ Parkinsons. Have a friend who is undergoing a battery of tests. Awaiting results since he wants to continue flight training.

Ulster
8th Jan 2014, 21:55
Some useful information may be found here :
Neurological Conditions Guidance Material | Medical | Personal Licences and Training (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2499&pagetype=90&pageid=13841#NeuroDis)

Outlook for Parkinson's is distinctly bleak :sad:

Certain types of MS may be a little more optimistic :D

But ALL neurological disorders are taken very seriously by the medics at the good old Belgrano !

Loose rivets
9th Jan 2014, 07:17
I posted a lot on here about my Texas friend's battle with Parkinsons. He tried curcumin and made the most extraordinary . . . not recovery, but certainly improvement. He'd handed in his flying license and sold his aircraft, but was still in the process of handing over his hi-tech company to his kids. However, after many hopeful years, he'd lost the use of his left hand and was losing the use of the other. Now, he'd having (I think) transfusions with aspirin. I'm sure that's what he said, but his speech is sometimes very difficult to lock onto.

What he can do is play the piano again. After ten years, he didn't dream this would ever happen. He's taken standard drugs for a long time but in doses that are a fraction of the normal at his stage. Despite his very focused battle, he has never come close to regaining his pilot's license.

It's just a case of finding a drug that doesn't reduce further the natural production of dopamine. That will buy time.