PDA

View Full Version : Do most people just use a single flight school for ATPL (integrated or modular)?

mrsurrey
7th Jan 2014, 23:58
Hello,

I sometimes read about people doing bits and bobs of training all over the place - PPL, CPL, ME, IR, hour building etc etc in order to build up a modular ATPL. I was wondering - what proportion of people do you think do it this way? Versus just using a single flight school to do the whole ATPL (whether that be integrated or modular)?

Groundloop
8th Jan 2014, 08:38
If it is "Integrated" it can only be done at one school - otherwise it is not "Integrated".

RTN11
8th Jan 2014, 13:52
Flybe was the only airline I've ever heard specifically specify in their recruitment info that all modular study had to be with one school, and look where it got them. :E

Parson
8th Jan 2014, 14:05
It would be wise to do your CPL & IR at the same school at least. Also use them for advice for hour building. Other than that, anywhere for your PPL & exams.

sapperkenno
8th Jan 2014, 14:14
Why would it be wise to do IR & CPL at the same place, as well as hour-building?

mad_jock
8th Jan 2014, 19:19
Because the then fleet manager of flybe on the Q400 fleet stated once that he would prefer taking pilots who had completed there Cpl and IR at the same school. Shorty afterwards they had a visit from the big schools who explained the tax advantages of taking cadets and then that was it how ever many schools you went to.

Since then people have taken it as gospel that you have to do it that way. But to be honest I really don't think it makes much difference to small operators. All the large operators are cadetships only now.

magicmick
9th Jan 2014, 08:10
As MJ points out, Flybe did indeed state a preference for modular applicants to have at least done the CPL and IR at the same school, the reason they gave was that they could see one consistent report or reference from one school covering both courses (not sure whether they were bothered where you did hours building and PPL). However I believe that all low hours recruitment with Flybe for a long time now has been solely pre-selected CPL or MPL cadets and they seem to be concentrating on laying people off these days.

I suppose if you do your CPL at a school you can take time to look at the school, how they go about their business, speak to IR students, aircraft availability etc and if you like what you see then you might as well sign up for their IR (better the devil you know). Conversely if your CPL experience is not positive then look elsewhere for IR.

It is worthwhile doing at least some of your hours building at the school where you want to do your CPL. That way you get used to flying in the local area, you can speak to the CPL students to see what they think of the place and the school can let you know common routes that the CPL examiners use and can give you some structured hours building as preparation for the CPL.

I did all my hours building with the school where I did my CPL and was paired with someone who did all their hours building in the US using a GPS for nav. They really struggled navigating in a new area and with the layout of a new airport and had to spend a fair wedge of cash on extra lessons to get ready for the test.

Exiled Martian
10th Jan 2014, 11:00
Hi OP,

I was lead to believe that scattering your training across a broader spectrum tends to hinder your employment chances...simply because the authenticity or rather collation of your (if you were to gypsy hop all over the place collecting various accreditations rerquired) flying history becomes hard to verify/present confidently per se. This could be just a preference myth 'thingy' as opposed to being set in stone.

To reiterate other posters I doubt there is much attention paid to where your PPL took place. Its the Hourbuilding, CPL & beyond where the magnifying glass is casted upon longer. I'm personally looking to do all my training (with the exception of doing the last 30 hours for 100 P1 in the States) under one outfit to further enhance my chances of future employment & basically make track keeping of my records easier down the line, just incase any hiccups are presented etc.