PDA

View Full Version : Michael Caplehorn. Former Chairman of Broome International Airport

OverRun
7th Jan 2014, 22:11
Gentlemen,

It is with regret that we advise that Walley2 (Mike) died suddenly on 4 January in California. There will be two memorial ceremonies – one for his friends over there, held late this week at Santa Monica Airport; possibly with a memorial flight on Saturday. Then Mike will be brought home and a funeral will be held in Perth in 10 to 12 days time.

Mike will be missed by many in airports, aviation, Broome, the Kimberley, tourism, charities, and the submarine and equestrian worlds. Both here in WA and elsewhere in the world.

RIP Mike
Steve

Capn Bloggs
8th Jan 2014, 01:06
I was involved with Mike in the battle against Airspace 2000 and later iterations of the same. He was a great bloke. His family should be proud of him. :ok:

Pinkman
8th Jan 2014, 05:19
One of my best memories will always be when Mike took me down in his minisub off Rottnest Island. Unbelievable experience. As was ten years earlier when we went scuba diving - also off Rotto. Mike produced an Anti-shark "bang stick" which looked like it was home made. It was when he got out his tobacco tin of assorted and past its prime ordnance and expertly fitted what looked like a round of jacketed ammo in the head of the bang stick that - apparently - my eyes went like saucers. Fortunately we never needed it. A remarkable guy - condolences to Annie and all the family.

Rob

bushpig
9th Jan 2014, 08:22
Very sad to hear. I went to school with him. He was a decent, popular and generally nice bloke.